PDA

View Full Version : Good trail shoe for heavy hiker!

hawkeye
07-02-2011, 12:45
Hi, I am wanting to get away from my heavy boots. I just got back from a 3 day trip and saw every Thru-hiker with trail shoes. Anyone that is a bit "heavy" have a favorite brand? I also need a wide model. My Montrail boots fit good but are very heavy.

Phreak
07-02-2011, 12:50
The best shoe is the ones that fit your feet the best. Go to a reputable store and have your feet/gait analyzed and try out all the shoes that are ideal for your foot type. I'm partial to New Balance.

4Bears
07-02-2011, 14:27
I have had good fit and use from both the Merril and New Balance brands and yes I am on the heavy side, with a big foot.

Big Dawg
07-02-2011, 15:36
At 6'5" & 275 lbs, I guess I fall into the "heavy" category. I attempted to follow the trail shoe trend a few years ago w/ no luck. I tried several models, but each one didn't hold up to the rigors of backpacking for me. I went back to my boots. I just had to realize that I'm no lightweight. This big boy needs structure under him,,, heavy boots and all. I now embrace the heavy boots and realize they're a requirement for my size.

dillard
07-02-2011, 16:31
Considering the wide feet and heavy weight have you looked at Vibram Five Fingers? There is tons of literature on the physiological reasons to wear them, but I will just summarize that the thin non cushioned sole and separate toe pockets encourage a proper gait which allows your foot to spread more and absorb shock as your body is designed.

I am 6' 240lbs and just got done doing a 4 day section hike with 40lbs pack using my VFF's and they were amazing! I have the TrekSport model and they are ideal for the trail. The sole has some more protection than other models to prevent bruising the soles of your feet, the upper is 60% mesh so is super breathable and quick drying and they are secured with a Velcro strap so no worrying about laces.

Some things I really love about them is you don't need socks, don't need to change anything to ford streams, even when they are wet they breath so much that your feet don't stay wet, they weigh in at a mighty 13oz per pair, they can be worn with gaiters easily and they are machine washable.

PLEASE NOTE: There is some break-in time when first wearing these... not for the shoe but for your feet. You will be using many muscles you never have wearing shoes and so if you don't allow your body time to adjust you can get overuse injuries. I would read the info on their website about this if your planning to give them a try.

mark schofield
07-03-2011, 06:52
At 6'6" 220pounds I've had good luck with the older Montrail HardRocks and the New Balance 806. I use to use the HiTeck Altitude lV which is a nice sturdy light weight boot. Comes in wide. About $70 at Campmor

hawkeye
07-03-2011, 07:26
I was looking at the Montrail AT Plus. I figure I will need a sturdy shoe untill I drop this extra weight.

Storm
07-03-2011, 10:41
I switched over to Vasque GTX. They aren't trail runners but are much lighter than leather boots. Good support and good traction. I wear a 14 wide and can't find a trail runner that gives me the ankle support that I feel comfortable with.

restless
07-03-2011, 18:22
Methinks using a VFF would be a serious mistake. Stck with a Montail or Asolo. Im 6'3 250lbs. Like the support and durability of a well fitted boot. my Limmers are just as comfortable as any trail shoe I have worn. But I wouldnt recommend starting out with them either due to break in time. Wear what works for you.

charmstr
07-03-2011, 18:50
<meta charset="utf-8"><div style="font: normal normal normal 13px/normal Verdana, Arial, Tahoma, Calibri, Geneva, sans-serif; color: rgb(34, 34, 34); background-color: rgb(255, 255, 255); margin-top: 0px; margin-right: 0px; margin-bottom: 0px; margin-left: 0px; padding-top: 8px; padding-right: 8px; padding-bottom: 8px; padding-left: 8px; font-family: Times; font-size: medium; ">Hi. What are "Limmers?"<br><br>I'm new here, have no knowledge, have never hiked anywhere, and own no equipment. I'm tall, old, and kinda fat so I figure ankle support is probably a good idea.</div>

charmstr
07-03-2011, 18:51
Wow. What I meant to say was:

Hi. What are "Limmers?"

I'm new here, have no knowledge, have never hiked anywhere, and own no equipment. I'm tall, old, and kinda fat so I figure ankle support is probably a good idea.

dillard
07-03-2011, 20:58
Methinks using a VFF would be a serious mistake.

Me thinks, opinions are like ********... everyone's got one.

Maybe some real experience or science to put forth instead of just saying its a mistake would be more appropriate.

Sly
07-03-2011, 22:17
I was looking at the Montrail AT Plus. I figure I will need a sturdy shoe until I drop this extra weight.

I agree but would go with a Merrell.

restless
07-04-2011, 11:02
Wow. What I meant to say was:

Hi. What are "Limmers?"

I'm new here, have no knowledge, have never hiked anywhere, and own no equipment. I'm tall, old, and kinda fat so I figure ankle support is probably a good idea.

Limmers are a heavy duty, one piece leather, stitched sole boot. They are definitley on the heavy side and take an average of three to six months to break in. They have custom boots and stock and the only place that I know of that you can buy them is innervale, NH at the factory. Google Limmer Boots and you should come up with something.

Smooth & Wasabi
07-04-2011, 12:50
I am a pretty big guy with big and wide feet and New Balance work great. They go up to size 14 wide. I just buy whatever NB trail runners are on sale at Joes New Balance or sierra trading post

CrumbSnatcher
07-04-2011, 13:14
strong or weak ankles might make a difference, or play a part in the overall pitcure, not just choosing boots or trail runners
i loved hiking in my chacos, big loads or small, big days or not. no camp shoes were ever needed either. good luck in your hunt