PDA

View Full Version : Best overnight hiking in Georgia?

waymiz
07-02-2011, 13:41
This will be my first hike. I am wanting to do 2 days. I will be staying in the Hiawassee / Helen area. I will get my wife to drop me off and pick me up the next evening. Any suggestions as to the best place to drop off and pick up? Thanks in advance!

One-8T
07-02-2011, 15:07
This will be my first hike. I am wanting to do 2 days. I will be staying in the Hiawassee / Helen area. I will get my wife to drop me off and pick me up the next evening. Any suggestions as to the best place to drop off and pick up? Thanks in advance!

Might as well start at Unicoi Gap and spend the first night somewhere past Tray Mountain. That should give you two good climbs in about 6-8 miles for your first day. Leaving you about 10-8 miles heading down to Dicks Creek Gap and US 76 where you can get picked up or hitch into Hiawassee.

ChinMusic
07-02-2011, 16:11
Might as well start at Unicoi Gap and spend the first night somewhere past Tray Mountain. That should give you two good climbs in about 6-8 miles for your first day. Leaving you about 10-8 miles heading down to Dicks Creek Gap and US 76 where you can get picked up or hitch into Hiawassee.

I agree. Good mileage for a first trip. Easy to get in and easy to get out. Perfect logistics for your needs. Report back how it went.

waymiz
07-06-2011, 11:09
Thanks for the suggestion! I will let you know how it goes.
:)

max patch
07-06-2011, 11:19
That is exactly what I was going to suggest. If you get to Dicks Creek and aren't ready to quit yet, then continue N for a bit and then return. Many people don't have cell service at Dicks Creek, so if you need to call try before you make the final descent into the gap.

Red Hat
07-06-2011, 11:31
I suggest going the other direction, from Dicks to Unicoi. Easier walking (more downs) and phone service at Unicoi, but none at dicks.... just my 2 cents

Ankle Bone
07-06-2011, 12:52
I suggest going the other direction, from Dicks to Unicoi. Easier walking (more downs) and phone service at Unicoi, but none at dicks.... just my 2 cents

Consider camping at Steeltrap Gap if springs are running well. About 1/2 way between Unicoi and Dicks Creek, good camp spots, and water nearby.

And not as many people. May have it to yourself vs shelter overload at Tray.

4dogHiker
07-06-2011, 13:56
We just did this stretch this past weekend. Water is there, but most is off trail .1 or so, and steep. We had the whole trail to ourselves, though, and great views up and around Tray Mtn. but it was a hot and humid ascent. Have fun!