PDA

View Full Version : The Place

gypsy
07-02-2011, 22:15
Just had to post this as a warning for anyone staying at The Place in Damascus: For the love of Jesus, Mary, Joseph, and everything holy, PLEASE do not think that you can bring alcohol there, or break any other of the rules including sleeping on the couch (a rule that has been broken a lot recently). Lone Wolf does patrol it every day, even at random times throughout the night and you will be asked to leave. I don't know why people seem so surprised and get hostile when they're busted for breaking the rules. There are signs EVERYWHERE espousing the rules. It's private property---the church can run it however they see fit. If recent events are any indication, I don't see The Place lasting too much longer. I am sick of people thinking that the rules somehow do not apply to them. You aren't the first one to hike the trail (or ride the TransAm trail) and you won't be the last. GET OVER YOURSELF!!!
Gypsy
(Sorry, had to vent that. I'm hardly ever on here, but dang...I'm tired of these aholes making LW out to be the bad guy here.) :mad:

Sly
07-02-2011, 22:30
It's probably not busy enough but in season (or if it's busy now), The Place should jack up the price and hire a caretaker. It's a shame LW has to be the bad guy helping out for free. Is there a place in Damascus for a responsible drinker to have a beer outside a bar?

(I'd probably sleep on the couch too. habit)

gypsy
07-02-2011, 22:34
I agree Sly. I keep saying they should also get rid of the couch all together--temptation gone.

Tuckahoe
07-02-2011, 22:41
It's probably not busy enough but in season (or if it's busy now), The Place should jack up the price and hire a caretaker. It's a shame LW has to be the bad guy helping out for free. Is there a place in Damascus for a responsible drinker to have a beer outside a bar?

(I'd probably sleep on the couch too. habit)

There are no bars in Virginia and public consumption is generally illegal.

And why does it seem so hard for some folks to behave like guests?

gypsy
07-02-2011, 22:42
And unfortunately, no... I don't believe there is a place to have a beer outside of a bar. But, a smart person would at least try to be discrete about it if they chose to imbibe. I know that sounds contradictory, but hey, if you're gonna do it don't put yourself in the position to get caught and then bitch about it when you do. Actually, I guess one could go sit under the bridge in town. But once again, you're taking a chance there too.

Lone Wolf
07-02-2011, 22:44

(I'd probably sleep on the couch too. habit)you may consume alcohol at several B&Bs and at the Hikers Inn plus a dozen other vacation rentals in town.

there's a big sign above the couch: NO SLEEPING OR LYING ON COUCH

hikers are just

Sly
07-02-2011, 22:55
There are no bars in Virginia and public consumption is generally illegal.

And why does it seem so hard for some folks to behave like guests?

I'd call Dot's a bar, the other places in town that serve beer, restaurants.

Sorry, I can't tell you why people act like they do. As editor for the Companion some want me to add more to the book about hiker behavior. It's already covered somewhat, but bottom line it's a trail guide. If someone is going to act out of hand, especially if they've been drinking, no words are going to stop them. I'm I honestly think peer pressure works best. Problem is many are too timid to speak up.

CrumbSnatcher
07-02-2011, 23:07
thanks lone wolf for watching out for the place
sorry you have to deal with so many dumbass's

squeeze
07-03-2011, 13:12
thanks lone wolf for watching out for the place
sorry you have to deal with so many dumbass's

Ditto that.

Rain Man
07-03-2011, 14:43
Problem is many are too timid to speak up.

I'm not too timid. But will observe that even on WB, speaking up about abuse will get you trounced pretty good sometimes, be it alcohol, dogs, guns, whatever.

Nevertheless, I agree with you. Peer pressure is where it's at.

Rain Man

Stir Fry
07-03-2011, 18:39
I think people think that its ok to break the rules. When some one confrunts them they act like "Oh I'm sorry I'll stop."
Its kind of the culture we are in.
I'd bet that over half the people that I charge with Shoplifting say I'll pay for it if you don't charge me. I have told some, "Give me the cash and I'll talk to the business owner". Then they say " Well I don't have it with me now".
Rain Man is right peer pressure would prevent most of it. But peers say it dont bother me. When I was young peers would call you down in a heart beat.

Jersey Tim
07-03-2011, 18:52
I think people think that its ok to break the rules. When some one confronts them they act like "Oh I'm sorry I'll stop."
Its kind of the culture we are in.

Too right. People have mostly lost touch with the fact that to honestly say "I'm sorry" also implies "...and I won't do it again."

SassyWindsor
07-03-2011, 19:15
Replace the couch and chairs with a LOG and stumps. Make them feel really at home. I never stayed at "the place", but came thru just to check it out and to read messages. It's a shame that some hikers act as if they are all deserving and appear so selfish. Most of them are just spoiled brats. My thanks to the Damascus church members who support things like "the place" and all they do for the hiking community that actually appreciate and respect those things.

Captain Blue
07-03-2011, 21:50
What is the reasoning for not letting hikers lie on the couch?

10-K
07-03-2011, 21:58

Probably because it's not a bed?

Tuckahoe
07-03-2011, 22:02

And maybe so others can share the couch too...

Lone Wolf
07-03-2011, 23:09
What is the reasoning for not letting hikers lie on the couch? because it's not a bed? and hiker's sleeping bags and clothes stink like **** and hikers like to sit on the couch and read or look over maps? hard to do when some slob is hogging the couch for days on end. hence the 2 nite stay limit. and finally it'
s a rule and if you don't like it find another place to stay