PDA

View Full Version : Art Loeb Trail

10-K
07-03-2011, 18:08
After finishing the Bartram Trail Friday I told myself I was going to swear off hiking until it got cooler but I'm thinking about hiking the AL trail in 2 weeks.

Is there a compelling reason not to hike this trail in mid-July?

I'm going to hike it north to south because I've heard it was slightly easier in this direction but I've also heard a lot of people who've hiked it say they liked the finish going from south to north better.

Tips? Suggestions? Looks like a sweet weekend hike.

Papa D
07-04-2011, 03:54
hey 10-K - the biggest pain in the butt about the Art Loeb Trail is the shuttle - it's about 45 minutes there and back - I've hiked it in mid-July and it's warm but doable - I might suggest a loop combining Art Loeb with Old Butt Knob Trail and Art Loeb - up and around Shining Rock and back down Greasy Cove - you get to be around a lot of water and this is a little more off of the beaten path. Watch also for a bunch of false side trails that aren't really the trail - most of these usually take you to the same place but the map doesn't always show exactly what is on the ground. The southern sections of the AL (south of the parkway) are pretty but will be fairly dry and somewhat unremarkable right now - I actually did the whole trail in one day in October, '09 ago which was a lot of fun.
The coolest place in NC right now would be doing a big loop in Joyce Kilmer / Slickrock Wilderness - you've been there right? - beautiful place - creates it's own weather - I've been hot and nearly hypothermic in the same weekend in July. One of the best starts is from Big Fat Gap - hike Hangover Lead to Hangover then Haoe Lead Trail (?) to Naked Ground and then the Slickrock Creek Trail - follow it north down Slickrock Creek to Wildcat Falls for great swimming and camping - backtrack a bit and take Big Fat Gap Trail back to your car.

Papa D
07-04-2011, 03:56
Shorter drive from sketchy old tennessee too

Mr. Bumpy
07-04-2011, 09:46
If you are doing it N to S which is the conventional way, consider ending at the Fish Hatchery instead of Davidson River. The last section of trail is just plain boring. It is a lot nicer to come out on one of the other trails and go to John Rock or something like that.

Papa D
07-04-2011, 10:13
Mr. Bumpy is right about the last section of the trail -I was trying to p.c. and all -- how about this: from Butter Gap, there is a trail that heads E /SE - it is not the old logging road with the tree across it - that heads to Cedar Rock rock climbing - it's the smaller trail that goes straight uphill - it is not marked with a trail sign - about .3 up it get's really steep and ascends a rock face - you will think you need a hand-line, but you don't, just be careful and do it - at the top of this face, find the trail again - you go right, then left - anyway, this trail goes another .2 or so and hits another really steep section straight up (don't take the left turn) - just keep going up. You should arrive (without falling to your death) at the very tip-top of Cedar Rock proper - there is a fantastic view from here and a good spot to camp but you'll need to tote water. There is a spring down a trail over a slab down and to the right (south / east) about 200 yards before the second big uphill - the top may be dry but there is a trail down there to a place called Halloween Slab - there is always water there. Anyway, from the top of Cedar Rock, you can continue straight across and either re-join Art Loeb by going right at the first major trail junction or going left which will take you to the Fish Hatchery as Mr. Bumpy suggested - I think this trail might be called either Glouster Gap(?) or Pickelsimer Fields(?) - check the map.

Sly
07-04-2011, 10:15
Go north, it's more rewarding and don't forget to bag Cold Mountain.

Papa D
07-04-2011, 10:15
The trail that I mentioned in the previous post is not on the map

Papa D
07-04-2011, 10:17
As Sly mentioned, many people leave off Cold Mtn and it is worth it - North or South, you can stash your pack at the campsite right below Cold Mtn - either way, you are just going to go up, turn around, and come back down - this isn't technically part of the A.L. Trail though.

Mr. Bumpy
07-04-2011, 10:37
+1 on Cold Mt. It is a most awesome place to camp. It's funny there as there is no water at the gap but up near the top there is a reliable trickle. The only problem that I have with doing it north is the last downhill into the boy scout camp is long, steep, monotonous, and tough on my knees.

10-K. If you need a shuttle send me a message. I might could be able to help you.

Phu Nam
07-19-2011, 15:53
I will be doing ALT the last part of August with my brother and son. Too hot? Also, anyone up for a shuttle? I'll pay gas and lunch!

Thanks in advance,

Kevin

wornoutboots
07-19-2011, 22:55
I hiked Shinning Rock & MTS several years ago in the Summer, GREAT Blueberries!!!

10-K
07-20-2011, 07:21
I'm headed that way next week it looks like. Looking forward to it.

lissersmith
07-22-2011, 10:12
My son just hiked it last week-end and said it was overgrown in areas. Water sources are not too plentiful on the southern half. Also, if you are going south, there is some confusion at the shelter near Butter Gap. The trail goes across the creek near the shelter, not up the hill as the trail markings show.

10-K
07-22-2011, 20:43
My son just hiked it last week-end and said it was overgrown in areas. Water sources are not too plentiful on the southern half. Also, if you are going south, there is some confusion at the shelter near Butter Gap. The trail goes across the creek near the shelter, not up the hill as the trail markings show.

Thanks, that's good to know. Looks like I'm on for next Wednesday.

scissor
07-25-2011, 15:52
I just did it last weekend via the Northern Route. It is indeed overgrown with a good amount of briars. I would suggest wearing some sort of leg protection. Also, the water source at deep gap shelter is barely there and murky. I'd try to avoid watering up there if you don't have a filter, but that can be very hard as that can be a key water point. Water source at butter gap shelter and cold mountain are good. And yes, pay close to attention to the intersection at butter gap no matter which way you go as it can be confusing. And Shining Rock can be confusing as there are very limited blazes but as long as you generally follow the ridge line you generally end up in the right spot. I enjoy going north because the climbs are tougher. It probably isn't the best time of year to do this trail(because of the briars) but I enjoyed the challenge.

10-K
07-25-2011, 16:07
Is the ALT blazed blue or white? I've read both.

4dogHiker
07-25-2011, 16:20
10-K, you'll see both white and blue blazes on this trail because some of the trail was part of the Mountains to Sea Trail, but you'll follow white blazes. Also, I recall seeing a blog post on here recently of some hikers who got turned around near what is known as "The Narrows." My husband and I hiked the AL several years ago, and got mixed up in this same spot. You might want to look into this, too.

scissor
07-25-2011, 16:24
The official art loeb blaze is white. The ALT is a blue dot (supposedly with a yellow hiker profile in the blue dot but I never noticed it). Again, parts of the Shining Rock wilderness aren't blazed. The southern section is blazed pretty well just be on your toes around Cedar Rock Mountain. A Pisgah District Nat Geo map comes in pretty handy.

wornoutboots
07-29-2011, 23:08
Now that you metion over grwon, I do remember following what I thought was the trail & I ended up bushwhacking in 4-6' weeds, just as I thought the trails was going to peter out, a group was heading toward me from the other direction? But that was just one small section.

ntang
09-19-2011, 19:52
Can anyone who's been around lately speak to water availability? Specifically, from Deep Gap down to the BRP. I heard there's a good source near Shining Rock Gap, near where Old Butt Knob branches off the ALT, and of course the Little East Fork trail runs back to Daniel Boone along a stream. Anything else, or is it just as dry as everyone says?

Digger'02
09-20-2011, 16:46
I thru hiked it with some buds last January and had no problem finding water, summer may be more difficult but there should be enough seeps etc for you to survive. Even in sub zero temps, there was enough flow to find.