PDA

View Full Version : Good place to hike in Jan/Feb/Mar?

erinjoy777
07-03-2011, 23:29
Well, my husband and I are still hoping to hike the AT. The original plan was that I graduate in Dec., work during Jan/Feb., then start the AT in the middle of March. However, I now have a couple of job possibilities that will begin in March, which just leaves Jan./Feb. I won't know for a while if one of these will work out, but if they do, where would you suggest hiking in Jan./Feb.? I figure even Georgia wouldn't be that safe at that time. So yeah, any advice on other pretty trails that we won't die of hypothermia on?

Spirit Walker
07-04-2011, 00:34
Florida Trail is your best bet for a long hike. Or if you have the funds, head to S. America or New Zealand/Australia.

harryfred
07-04-2011, 00:49
You can hike any where if you have the proper gear. I hike the AT and other trails in southern PA and MD all winter long. If the two of you can share a tent and cooking gear you'll do better. some trails that are, well, boring, are magical in the winter.

fiddlehead
07-04-2011, 06:44
Copper canyon in Mexico used to be good. Don't know now since the drug lords seem to run that country now.
South America can be great. Peru, Bolivia, are places I've hiked and had excellent stuff.
Nepal can be good that time of year.

In the US, you have some places in southern AZ like the Superstitions that are usually warm. Also Mogollon Rim trail is a great one.
Joshua Tree NP in southern CA is good. The last 3 i mentioned are not very long distance but still have some good trails.

New Zealand I hear is great but it rains a lot.
Australia has one trail that is 220 miles long I believe.

If you don't mind a little chilly weather, I would do GA at least on the AT.
Florida trail has been wet and cold the last 2 years also I heard.

Hope that has helped. I have hiked most all of those at one time or another (usually in winter)

I'm working on a trail here in Thailand but it's not for everyone (bushwhacking the whole way with machete and dealing with many ants, wasps, HUGE spiders and monkeys) but, you are welcome to come and try it. It's wicked hot though. Even in Jan.

Chenango
07-04-2011, 09:08
Florida Trail is beautiful that time of year.

erinjoy777
07-04-2011, 12:59
does the florida trail lead into the GA section of the AT? Where does the FL trail start?

moldy
07-04-2011, 15:16
It can be done. Though you can't make it very far. It's called the "dash and dive method". Get one of those new phones that lets you log on to the weather real time. Drive to Neels Gap and wait for 2 or 3 days of good weather so you can make a dash for the next town where you dive into another hostel of hotel and wait for the next period of good weather. In good Winters you can make some good miles. In bad Winters, it's not so good and you spend more time "diving" than "dashing". Best not to try this in the Smokies or way up North.

Snowleopard
07-04-2011, 15:37
You can hike any where if you have the proper gear. I hike the AT and other trails in southern PA and MD all winter long. ... some trails that are, well, boring, are magical in the winter.
I agree with this, but you need some experience with the cold and that proper gear. I'd only recommend this if you're able to get some cold winter experience first. Since you're in Texas this might not be so easy. Read some of Tipiwalter's winter trip reports to get an idea of what conditions in the southern mountains can be in winter.

erinjoy777
07-04-2011, 18:22
I agree with this, but you need some experience with the cold and that proper gear. I'd only recommend this if you're able to get some cold winter experience first. Since you're in Texas this might not be so easy. Read some of Tipiwalter's winter trip reports to get an idea of what conditions in the southern mountains can be in winter.

you are right, this is what concerns me. We have lived in Florida before so the florida trail doesn't interest me very much. We would like to stay in the US. What about the southern part of the PCT? Any thoughts on that?

fiddlehead
07-04-2011, 21:44
About 2-3 days into the PCT, you have Mt. Laguna and then about 100 miles in, you have Mt Jacinto.
Both will probably have snow at that time. (Especially Jacinto)
But, if you started at I-10 just east of Cabazon, you could probably be OK for a few hundred miles.
You will go thorugh the Anza Borrego National forest which is basically a high desert. I believe most of the elevation is around 7-9,000' in that area.
I have hiked in there in Jan and it was fine although we had some very windy nights.
If you can be flexible and strive for the Anza Borrega and use Joshua Tree as a backup perhaps???

If you have experience at desert hiking, you could go for the 1st week of the CDT. But, keep in mind, this is extreme desert and once you get to Gila Nat Forest, you will hit snow most likely. (maybe even before)

It all depends on the year and how flexible you are.
I thru-hiked the AT one winter. About 10 years ago, and it was fine. We had 70 deg temps in New Jersey in early Dec.
We had 40-50 deg days in GA in Feb.
We didn't have many problems at all.
However, weather patterns go in cycles and lately, winters in the east have been bad.
One thing about hiking, you must learn to go with the flow.
Nature changes all the time, change with it.

brian2o0o
07-06-2011, 21:03
Winter is the best time to hike, you won't see very many people on the trail. Just make sure you have the right gear to stay warm and dry.