PDA

View Full Version : Amtrack

Mother Natures Son
07-04-2011, 06:54
Accord to many on this list, stay away from Grayhound but has anyone tried Amtrack recently? I rode it a short distance across the state (PA) but not much else. Someone got one of rental car comaies to pick them up at the trail station to start their hike. Has anyone tried this or other ways to get from the train station to the trailhead?

Papa D
07-04-2011, 07:36
Amtrak is good - be aware that trains are not always on time - sometimes they are "hours late." You could as you say get a rental car to pick you up, you would then drive the representative back to the rental car company and take the rental care to the town nearest the trail-head - from there, you would need a ride. I would suggest asking someone on this forum for a ride from a specific station on a specific day - get their phone number and call them from the station - often, someone going roughly your way will do it for gas money. There are also many outfitters and hostels that provide shuttle service. It would be helpful to know where you are starting your hike.

doritotex
07-04-2011, 08:32
And what exactly were the reasons to stay away from Greyhound? I've ridden both Greyhound and Amtrak, and YES, Amtrak is always late! Not just a few minutes but sometimes hours! I've had some bad experiences with airlines, but that doesn't mean that I am never going to fly again! I would keep Greyhound as an option....with any kind of public transportation there are bound to be problems.

doritotex
07-04-2011, 08:41
And what exactly were the reasons to stay away from Greyhound? I've ridden both Greyhound and Amtrak, and YES, Amtrak is always late! Not just a few minutes but sometimes hours! I've had some bad experiences with airlines, but that doesn't mean that I am never going to fly again! I would keep Greyhound as an option....with any kind of public transportation there are bound to be problems.

Papa D
07-04-2011, 10:40
As a backpacker, one assumes a looser schedule than say a business traveler, so we know amtrak is not always on schedule but other than that it is way more comfortable than a bus (and rail is more fuel friendly) - you can get up, walk around, go to the snack car or the dining car, stretch out in your wide reclining seat. If you have some bucks or someone to share a sleeper car with - that is THE WAY to do overnights on the train - very nice. I would suggest busses between train stations but for me, the rails are great (assuming I don't just fly)

tiptoe
07-04-2011, 13:16
I've taken Amtrak several times, and the trains were pretty much on time. I did discover this year that it's best to book your ticket in advance. The price increases precipitously as you approach the departure date. Not sure when exactly the higher price kicks in, though. Perhaps 2 weeks ahead?

yushan
07-05-2011, 07:32
Check out the ATC's shuttle list:

http://www.appalachiantrail.org/docs/default-document-library/AT%20Shuttle%20List%20WEB%206-7-11.pdf