PDA

View Full Version : Pick apart my idea please

House of Payne
07-04-2011, 13:30
I currently own a 1983 WM summerlite with an additional 3 oz in the footbox, it's rated to 32 deg. weight is 20 oz, compacts to 12x5.
I'd like to use the bag the entire way, starting on April 1 as a NOBOer. In addtion I will have a tent and a silk liner. Will I be ok?

Iceaxe
07-04-2011, 13:44
I used an MLD Spirit Quilt 30 starting in mid March this year and went the whole way. Early on, in the Smokey's I supplemented it with a patagonia down jacket as well as my Montebell thermawrap Parka. Then i sent the Patagonia down jacket home from Pearisburg and went the rest of the way using just the quilt and my Montebell (the parka has a hood).
The quilt systyem allowed me to add layers without compressing the fill of the quilt.
I tried to do a similar thing with my WM sleeping bag on the PCT and the resulting compression, from the inside out, of adding clothes actually made me colder.
So much depends on how you sleep, the weather in your particular year, how well you keep the bag dry, and related factors.
I think i know where you are at mentally though as i debated between using my WM 20 degree or the 30 degree quilt before my AT hike. It was the most troubling planning detail for me before the hike but turned out to be a total non-issue once on the trail.
I suggest taking your bag out for some practice this fall when temperatures are lower.
Your mileage and weather may vary.

Papa D
07-04-2011, 13:46
Sounds fine to me. You might get a little hot in the 600 mile section between Harpers Ferry, WVA and Mt. Greylock, MA assuming you are there in late June - early August but you can always pick up a cheap light bag somewhere in VA and bounce the down bag to VT or NH, right.

10-K
07-04-2011, 13:46
You'll be fine. If you get cold, put on a hat, socks and your jacket.

max patch
07-04-2011, 14:10
Not enough bag for me.

Red Hat
07-04-2011, 15:03
wouldn't be enough for me, since it is plenty cold in April, but if you have smartwool long johns, a down jacket, and a warm cap, you can probably handle it...

ChinMusic
07-04-2011, 15:25
I tend to "over coat" and "under bag". I am comfortable down to 20° in my 30° bag as long as I take a down jacket with me, a dang good down jacket.

I tend to be cold at camp so the jacket/parka allows me to be comfortable socializing in the evening. That jacket/parka then comes in handy in extending the rating of my bag. If the weather is not so cold it also make a killer pillow. If I do wear the parka to sleep it makes getting up in the morning more comfortable as well since I already have my coat on.

skinewmexico
07-04-2011, 15:29
Someething like a TiGoat bivy would add some temp, without weighing you down too much.

House of Payne
07-04-2011, 15:47
Originally I was going to bring along (for the early cooler stretches) my VBL as a supplemental to get some extra warmth. I figured the silk liner would be better and ditched the VBL idea. I am typically a warm sleeper in cool weather, in extremes maybe some socks and long underwear and a microfleece top. I have never worn anything more. When I'm not in a shelter I may get a few degrees more from the tent and the bag liner. I think I'll be ok...(famous last words....)

weary
07-04-2011, 23:20
I walked the trail in '93 starting April 15 using a 20-year-old Northface sleeping bag liner rated at 45 or 50 degrees. I supplemented it early and late with a down jacket and insulated long Johns. If I were starting again I would carry the same sleeping gear.

Slo-go'en
07-04-2011, 23:44
That's a pretty old bag. Has it been stored properly - hung in a closet and not stuffed tight in a bag? Still has most of its feathers if its been used a lot? If so and still has pleanty of loft, with a little extra help on the occasional real chilly night, it will probably be enough. Otherwise, its rating may no longer be close to what it was originally.

House of Payne
07-05-2011, 00:11
That's a pretty old bag. Has it been stored properly - hung in a closet and not stuffed tight in a bag? Still has most of its feathers if its been used a lot? If so and still has pleanty of loft, with a little extra help on the occasional real chilly night, it will probably be enough. Otherwise, its rating may no longer be close to what it was originally.

Hey Slo,

Was just up your way last week, spent a few days at Dry River CG. Drove through Randolph towards twin. I understand what you mean with the age of the bag. I take good care of that bag, it has it's own storage bag and is kept dry when not being used. I'm amazed sometimes of the age of it when I have it out on my trips in the summer time.

garlic08
07-05-2011, 08:32
That would not have been enough bag for me, on my hike. I started early April and in the first two weeks had two blizzards with blowing snow and nighttime temps in the low teens (above 6000'). My excellent 15F bag kept me on the trail, but just barely. My experience is like Ice Axe's, where wearing a jacket in my bag doesn't help at all.

That being said, there's no reason to be out there in those conditions if you aren't prepared. Both storms were predicted and many hikers went to or stayed in town. You could do that, too, if you're limited by the bag. You'll have all next winter to test it out and figure out what works.

ChinMusic
07-05-2011, 11:05
My experience is like Ice Axe's, where wearing a jacket in my bag doesn't help at all.

Really???

I've done my share of backpacking in temps down to 10°, but you guys have way more experience than me. I find my down parka (Nunatak Skaha) gives me at least 10 degrees of extra warmth in my bag.

sbhikes
07-05-2011, 12:33
The nice thing about thru-hiking is you really aren't going to the moon. You can put things like your warmer sleeping bag or whatever else you aren't sure about in a pile with nice labels on them and if you really need them, you can ask your support person to mail them to you. If you have no support person, you can bounce the extra things along a few times until you're certain what you need and what you don't. Costs a little, but the piece of mind might be worth it.

Snowleopard
07-05-2011, 15:04
My experience is like Ice Axe's, where wearing a jacket in my bag doesn't help at all.

I think this is a case where everybody can be right. :)
My sleeping bag fits too tightly to wear much clothing inside it without compressing the insulation too much.
If your sleeping bag fits too loosely, you might not be getting the full benefit of the insulation. In this case, adding a down jacket might make a really big difference. If there is just the right amount of space, you can add the R rating or clo of the insulations and see what temp it will be good to.

A silk liner adds almost no insulation, but might cut down a bit on drafts.

House of Payne
07-05-2011, 18:12
Does anyone know if Western Mountaineering has an e-mail address?

max patch
07-05-2011, 18:50
www.westernmountaineering.com

per the companion

max patch
07-05-2011, 18:53
www.westernmountaineering.com

per the companion

oops. telephone number 408.287.8944