PDA

View Full Version : Revolutionary War long distance hiking

WingedMonkey
07-04-2011, 14:29
4th of July often reminds me to do more research on my Revolutionary ancestors and they parts they played.
Yesterday I found a transcript of an ancestor's application for pension that I've been trying to read (old time writing is not to easy). Keep in mind that this was 1833 and he was about 70 by then, an old age in that time, but based on his memorey this was his history, at the start of war he lived in Dobbs County, North Carolina and returned there after.

I was acquainted with Captain Benjamin Coleman, Captain Tennor, Captain Hall [probably Clement Hall] and marched from Kings Town [sic, Kinston] on Neuse River in North Carolina and from there to Richmond Virginia and from thence through Maryland and Pennsylvania and near he thinks a place called the White Plains and there he joined the regular Army and then marched to West Point and from thence was marched to Constitution Island and from thence we marched under the Command of General Hogan [sic, James Hogun] back to Charleston South Carolina.

Do you think this makes him a 2,000 miler?
:D

WingedMonkey
07-04-2011, 14:37
Just a note, western Dobbs County became Wayne County.

Rocket Jones
07-04-2011, 14:51
A couple of years ago I was hiking a minor trail in Prince William National Forest in Northern Virginia, when I came across a marker kind of out in the middle of nowhere. It talked about the Rochambeau route that Washington and his troops used to march up and down the east coast. I'd been following a short piece of it without knowing it.

Jack Tarlin
07-04-2011, 22:06
Cool story. The unit in question marched to White Plains in the summer of 1778; General Hogun's men moved south to defend Charleston in November of 1779. Assuming your ancestor was 70 in 1833 (i.e. born around 1763) this would have made him a very young man when all this was taking place; for a 2,000 miler, he was a young one, but then the Continental Army had more than a few teenagers. In any case, cool story.

Great White
07-04-2011, 22:15
This thread made me remember General Knox, from the Revolutionary War. Early in the war he traveled from Fort Ticonderoga, in upstate New York, to Boston with captured artillery to help drive the British out. I grew up within two miles of one of the trail markers. Here (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Henry_Knox_Trail) is a wikipedia entry on the trail, known as the Henry Knox Trail.

earlyriser26
07-05-2011, 05:22
They hiked very long distances in the revolutionary war. There is a marker near Overmountain Shelter (the red barn) regarding the war. I believe they later fought in the battle of Cow Pens that was a key victory (also it was the final battle in the movie The Patriot, I think). Good stuff

hikerboy57
07-05-2011, 08:33
It is truly astonishing the hardships our army endured in the name of freedom. a ragtag army against the worlds greatest military power.
and no shuttle rides.

Migrating Bird
07-05-2011, 08:58
This thread made me remember General Knox, from the Revolutionary War. Early in the war he traveled from Fort Ticonderoga, in upstate New York, to Boston with captured artillery to help drive the British out. I grew up within two miles of one of the trail markers. Here (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Henry_Knox_Trail) is a wikipedia entry on the trail, known as the Henry Knox Trail.

I lived in Otis, MA very near the Knox Trail. It is still very visible in many locations and I have hiked portions of it many times. Now it is a popular snow mobile trial. Back in the 70's there was a reinactment of his ordeal. The effort that Gen. Knox and his men went through to deliver the canon to Boston was extra ordinary. The terrian in Otis is rugged, hilly, swampy and full of boulders and is still wild country. Note: the canon were deployed on Dorchester Hieghts overlooking Boston Harbor forcing the British to abandon Boston without ever firing a shot.

I do not know exactly where the Knox Trail crosses the AT but it should be near Lee/Tryingham area.

WingedMonkey
07-05-2011, 15:27
They hiked very long distances in the revolutionary war. There is a marker near Overmountain Shelter (the red barn) regarding the war. I believe they later fought in the battle of Cow Pens that was a key victory (also it was the final battle in the movie The Patriot, I think). Good stuff

Although many later returned to fight at Cowpens, (Jan 1781) the Over Mountain Men were known for the victory at Kings Mountain (Oct 1780)

trainhopper
07-06-2011, 11:16
Very close to the Bear Mountain Bridge right along the AT there are several trails which were actual routes taken by the Continental ARMY. I find it pretty awesome to be able to relive history by following routes that men took some 230 years ago.

bchboy1206
07-06-2011, 15:58
Great posts,@ OP- that must be so cool to know where your ancestors actually passed before. They must have been some tough folks! Wonder how many miles a day they would go and how much gear they would carry. Without silnylon and cuben fibre must have been tough!

Old Grouse
07-06-2011, 17:04
As I recall, General Knox was himself so obese that he had to be hauled overland through the frozen swamps along with the cannons.

4shot
07-06-2011, 19:03
As I recall, General Knox was himself so obese that he had to be hauled overland through the frozen swamps along with the cannons.

Now that hiker caught some serious shuttle. wonder if he got a lot of trail magic along the way.

Jack Tarlin
07-06-2011, 19:18
General Knox was indeed a big fella, there's even a story, perhaps true, of George Washington telling him to shift his fat ass (that's pretty much a direct quote) while crossing the Delaware so the boat wouldn't sink.

Dunno if that one's true, but what is true is that the artillery skills of General Knox (a former bookseller with no military background) helped win the war.

Remarkable time, remarkable men.

earlyriser26
07-06-2011, 19:52
Although many later returned to fight at Cowpens, (Jan 1781) the Over Mountain Men were known for the victory at Kings Mountain (Oct 1780)
You are correct, Kings mountain came first.

Jack Tarlin
07-06-2011, 22:23
This is a great thread for those of us interested in American history (I realize I just lost 97% of you). There are, of course, lots of Civil War sites close to (or even on) the A.T. but there's plenty of Colonial/Revolutionary history as well. As has been noted, the Overmountain men made an extraordinary contribution to the war effort...as one moves Noth on the Trail there are reminders of previous historical events, trailblazing, etc. Some places worth noting/visiting include the Sycamore Shoals site near Elizabethtown Tn (ask Bob Peoples!), also the Bennington battlefield is pretty cool (who knows that the ultimate fate of the Revolution was decided on the New York/Vermont border?). Anyway, lots out there for those willing to look for it, or (gasp!) take a few days off their hike and actually check out some side stuff.

WingedMonkey
07-19-2011, 16:08
OK, It's a little past Independence Day, but though I would follow up a post response I didn't see before.

Cool story. The unit in question marched to White Plains in the summer of 1778; General Hogun's men moved south to defend Charleston in November of 1779. Assuming your ancestor was 70 in 1833 (i.e. born around 1763) this would have made him a very young man when all this was taking place; for a 2,000 miler, he was a young one, but then the Continental Army had more than a few teenagers. In any case, cool story.

Determining age or birth dates from early genealogical records can sometime be difficult. Family records don't always agree with tombstones or filed documents. For the most part birthdays and dates just weren't important to the farming class so far back.

I left off an interesting part of this maternal ancestors application for pension. I've seen the same type of remarks in many early documents. This was right before the part I pasted earlier.

State of North Carolina, Mecklenburg County
On this 30th day of April 1833 personally appeared Before me John M. Ingram one of the Justices of the Court, Bedford Garris a resident of said County aged 70 years who being first duly sworn according to law doth on his oath make the following declaration in order to obtain the benefit of the provision made by the act of Congress passed June 7th 1832. That he entered the Service of the United States under the following named officers and served as herein stated, he enlisted on the 4th of May 1777 in the 10th Regiment Commanded by Colonel Shepherd [probably Abraham Shephard (Shepperd)] and served under Captain Heron [sic, Armwell Herron] for the Term of three years and in the year 1781 he enlisted in Served a Tour of 12 months in the same Regiment and was discharged the 29th of January 1782 he Served the Tour of 12 months under Captain Armstrong he was at Battle of Monmouth and Siege of Charleston he hereby relinquishes every claim whatever to a pension or annuity except the present, and he declares that his name is not on the pension Roll of any Agency in any State.
Sworn to and subscribed Before me the Day and year aforesaid and served in all four years
S/ John M. Ingram, JP S/ Bedford Garris, X his mark
Interrogatories
1st When and in what year were you born?
I cannot tell in what year I was born having no record of my age. I was born in Dobbs [?] County in North Carolina
2nd Have you any record of your age and if so where is it?
I have no Record of my age
3rd Where were you living when called into service: where have you lived since the Revolutionary War and where do you now live?
I was living in Dobbs County North Carolina and have lived in North Carolina ever since the Revolution except about 10 years I lived in South Carolina I now live in North Carolina Mecklenburg County and have lived there for the last 20 years and when I went into service I enlisted.

Later in the application is the notation that he was a musician in 1778. I can only assume that would be a "drum and fife" boy in the marches, or drummer in camp calls, what in later days became bugle calls. I wonder if he got yelled at to "shut up" as much as I yell at drummers in the woods now?

State of North Carolina, Secretary of State's Office
I William Hill Secretary of State in and for the State aforesaid do certify that it appears from the muster rolls of the Continental line of this State in the revolutionary war, that Rigford [sic] Garris a private of Captain Heron's Company of the 10th Regiment enlisted on the fourth of May 1777 for the three years, that he was a musician in 1778.
I further certify that it appears from the warrant book in this Office that a Warrant for three years service of Bedford Garris a Soldier of the revolution was issued in 1784, and I have no doubt the name should have been written Bedford and not Rigford, on the muster rolls.
Given under my hand this 19th day of June 1833.
S/ Wm Hill

WingedMonkey
07-19-2011, 16:16
I should give credit to the site that transcribed these Pension Application Records. A great help for anyone doing Southern Campaign Revolutionary War records records.
http://southerncampaign.org/pen/index.htm

rookiehiker
07-20-2011, 18:52
A couple of years ago I was hiking a minor trail in Prince William National Forest in Northern Virginia, when I came across a marker kind of out in the middle of nowhere. It talked about the Rochambeau route that Washington and his troops used to march up and down the east coast. I'd been following a short piece of it without knowing it.

There is also a section that runs along the Bull Run/Occoquan trail.

jockellis
07-24-2011, 20:37
So many of the posts on this site extol the latest weatherproof equipment and hiking shoes/boots while these guys who fought for our independence usually had little more than the clothes on their back, what was left of their shoes (if any) and a rifle or musket. Of course, this was what they carried every day and walking was their normal means of travel. But they embarked on a quest way harder than a mere through hike; they were soldiering for a new-fangled idea called freedom. It boggles the imagination to think of the hardships they endured. We were blessed with George Washington. England was shackled with a war 3,000 miles away and a commander, Gen. Sir William Howe, who really didn't want to pursue the war and who was a member of the political party not in power in London.

atraildreamer
07-25-2011, 10:09
General Knox was indeed a big fella, there's even a story, perhaps true, of George Washington telling him to shift his fat ass (that's pretty much a direct quote) while crossing the Delaware so the boat wouldn't sink.

Dunno if that one's true, but what is true is that the artillery skills of General Knox (a former bookseller with no military background) helped win the war.

Remarkable time, remarkable men.

http://washingtons-birthday.123holiday.net/washington_quotes.html

"Shift that fat ass, Harry. But slowly, or you'll swamp the damned boat." :eek:

(Washington to General Henry Knox while entering the boat that was to cross the Delaware River)

WingedMonkey
07-04-2014, 19:20
When I first started this, I had every intention of adding other Revolutionary ancestors yearly. Guess I got sidetracked.
:sun

So here is another of my ancestors, and a summery of his war service. While I refereded to the one in the OP as a 2,000 miler, I'm gonna call this one a "Section Hiker".

He marched all over the Carolinas, but never saw battle or marched north.

http://revwarapps.org/s8705.pdf

Southern Campaign American Revolution Pension Statements & Rosters

Pension application of Joseph Henry S8705 fn14NC
Transcribed by Will Graves 4/30/11

State of North Carolina Buncombe County: Court of Pleas & Quarter Sessions October Term
On this the 17th day of October 1832 personally appeared in Open Court before the
justices of the County Court now sitting Joseph Henry a resident of North Carolina in the County
of Buncombe aged between sixty-eight and seventy years who being first duly sworn according
to law doth on his oath make the following declaration in order to obtain the benefit of the act of
Congress passed June 7th 1832 –
That he entered the service of the United States under the following named officers, and
served as herein stated. First entered under Colonel William Graham, Major John Carrooth
[John Carruth?] and in Captain William Chronicle's Company in the year 1780 in June. Then
under Captain Mattocks, Chronicle being advanced to Major and Carrooth to Lieutenant Colonel.
Then Captain Mattocks resigned and he then became under Captain Samuel Martin. That he was
drafted shortly after Ferguson's defeat in the fall of 1780 and became under the command of
Colonel Francis Locke, in Captain Thomas Loftin's Company and James Robertson Lieutenant.
That he at the time of entering the service resided in the County of Lincoln in the State of
North Carolina.
The first part of his service he was marched through your District in South Carolina and
Union & Rutherford Counties in North Carolina. He then after being drafted marched through
Lincoln, Mecklenburg, Rowan & Guilford Counties and was finally discharged on tar River in
Guilford County in North Carolina and that he never was in any engagement.
He further saith that he did receive a discharge, signed by Thomas Loftin Captain and The same
for a number of years but at length he has lost it
Sworn to and subscribed in open Court October 17th 1832
Test: S/ John Miller, Clerk by N. N. Woodfin, D. Clk S/ Jos Henry

I Jesse Palmer certify that I entered the service the 22nd day of January 1781 and shortly after
that time I became personally acquainted with the Identical Joseph Henry who was then in the
service in Captain Loftin's Company and had been there some time previous to my entering the
service. And I recollect very well that he Joseph Henry was in the same company with myself
and was discharged before I was which was shortly before the battle of Guilford.
S/ Jesse Palmer, X his mark

[John Clayton, Esquire and Andrew Willson gave the standard supporting affidavit.]

North Carolina Buncombe County: County Court of Pleas & Quarter Sessions August Sessions
Joseph Henry appeared in open Court & made oath in due form of law in addition to his
statement made on another part of this paper on his oath states that from the lapse of time &
frailty of memory he cannot state precisely the times that he entered the service or was
discharged but to the best of his recollection he first entered under Colonel William Graham in
June 1780 shortly after Ramsour's battle which was as he recollects between the first & last of
June 1780 & served 3 months as before stated. The second tour of service he believes to the best
of his recollection commenced in December 1780 having been drafted some time before he was
called to serve under Colonel Locke as afore mentioned when he served again 3 months at both
terms of service he served in the Grade of a private.
Sworn to in open Court 31st of August 1833
S/ Jno. Miller, Clerk S/ Jos Henry

[Veteran was pensioned at the rate of $20 per annum commencing March 4th, 1831, for 6 months
service as a private in the North Carolina militia.]

rocketsocks
07-04-2014, 20:34
Good finds WM, some of my family's time has been researchable as well, good stuffs!

There's a Revolutionary war marathon on right know, been watching through out the day.

Don H
07-05-2014, 08:29
Winged Monkey, have you considered joining the Sons of the American Revolution (SAR)?

bangorme
07-05-2014, 14:22
Then of course there was the Benedict Arnold march to Quebec through the Maine wilderness, 9/11/1775 - 11/13/1775.

Don H
07-05-2014, 15:46
Then of course there was the Benedict Arnold march to Quebec through the Maine wilderness, 9/11/1775 - 11/13/1775.

Did he stop at White House Landing for a burger?

rocketsocks
07-05-2014, 16:14
...a good read by a great author. 1776 by David McCullough

http://www.amazon.com/1776-David-McCullough/dp/0743226720/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1404591168&sr=8-1&keywords=illustrated+1776

WingedMonkey
07-05-2014, 17:14
Winged Monkey, have you considered joining the Sons of the American Revolution (SAR)?

I have at least seven ancestors that would qualify me. All of them Southern except one in Westmoreland County Pennsylvania, he was delegate to the first constitutional convention of Pennsylvania.

I consider that area of Westmoreland County as a stepping off area to the South at that time. LOL

I might have given some thought to joining SAR, but it was only a fleeting thought.

Here is a photo of the officers of the Florida chapter of SAR.

I can't imagine me in this group.

Then again as much as I love Damascus I don't attend Trail Days either.

:banana

SawnieRobertson
07-06-2014, 13:39
I suspect that a large number of us are drawn to the AT because of long walks known of in our family histories. They inspire us and stir our imaginations. My first gasp when hearing of such a walk was in reading a letter from my grandfather that included an account of the walk after being released from the Yankee prisoner of war camp, Camp Chase at Columbus, Ohio. Actually, he had BEEN WALKED there after capture in SE Tennessee. Anyway,
he traveled by foot and, when offered, by boat on the Mississippi to Smith County, Texas, after being released on May 2, 1865. His courage inspires me. The Revolutionary War walk of which I have record did not end so well. My grandfather many generations back was among the Overmountain militia who were massacred by Bloody Bill Cunningham at Hayes Station in South Carolina. His name was Benjamin Lewis Goodman. The stats on this
are listed at http://www.carolana.com/SC/Revolution/revolution_hayes_station.html. His wife received a pension
from the US government eventually to compensate her loss years. Both situations are hard and required people stout of heart.

Venchka
07-06-2014, 22:34
Tiny world. I drove through Smith County this afternoon. Home is in Wood County, on the north side of Smith County.

Wayne

Sent from somewhere around here.

rickb
07-07-2014, 14:46
Good stuff. Of possible interest:
http://maineanencyclopedia.com/carrying-place-township/

RockDoc
07-07-2014, 15:37
Great stuff.
Another good historical book that includes reference to many long hikes is Flight from Monticello by Michael Kranish. Jefferson, then Governor of Virginia, was hard pressed for militia as the English under Benedict Arnold ran roughshod over Virginia. There was little opposition, and many of the citizens had little choice but to proclaim allegiance to England. Even Jefferson had to hoof it (on horseback) when the English came to Monticello to arrest him. The war was indeed going very badly. The few bright spots were when a few militias from the western territories came east to fight, and finally when the army and the French under M. d Layfayette saved our collective asses by soundly whipping Cornwallis. Things could well have ended differently, in fact it's a miracle that the English were defeated. Some say we had help from the big guy.

lemon b
07-07-2014, 15:37
Another good read. "War on the Run" by John F. Ross. The Epic story of Robert Rogers. Who actually ended up serving with the British in our war for independence.
If it were not for his fighting the French the War of independence may have very well have been against the French. Roberts Rangers were almost not human with their foot travel in winter conditions.

Alleghanian Orogeny
07-07-2014, 16:01
Great stuff.
Another good historical book that includes reference to many long hikes is Flight from Monticello by Michael Kranish. Jefferson, then Governor of Virginia, was hard pressed for militia as the English under Benedict Arnold ran roughshod over Virginia. There was little opposition, and many of the citizens had little choice but to proclaim allegiance to England. Even Jefferson had to hoof it (on horseback) when the English came to Monticello to arrest him. The war was indeed going very badly. The few bright spots were when a few militias from the western territories came east to fight, and finally when the army and the French under M. d Layfayette saved our collective asses by soundly whipping Cornwallis. Things could well have ended differently, in fact it's a miracle that the English were defeated. Some say we had help from the big guy.

As Kranish's book likely notes, Jefferson and the Virginia legislature, including Patrick Henry and other prominent statesmen of the times, had moved to Charlottesville as Cornwallis approached Richmond. Their assumption was they'd be safe given the several days march time from Richmond to Charlottesville. Cornwallis, however, dispatched the infamous Banestre Tarlton with 250 cavalry and mounted infantry from his encampment on the North Anna River near Richmond in an attempt to catch the government off guard and capture them. Tarlton planned to cover the 70 mile distance in 24 hours. Young Colonel Jack Jouett was asleep at his family home in Louisa County (or at Cuckoo Tavern, depending upon the story) and heard the column approaching. Identifying them as the British, he surmised their mission and tore off on horseback on a roughly parallel course to warn Jefferson and company. Tarleton's long rest at Louisa Court House allowed Jouett to take the lead. Jouett rode to Monticello first, warned Jefferson, then rode the handful of miles into Charlottesville. Jefferson calmly went about gathering his papers and departed only as the British cavalry entered the grounds, evading them on horseback due to his mount being fresh and having intimate knowledge of his home terrain.

Schoolchildren in Virginia are taught about "Jack Jouett's Ride" in history classes. His route is named Jack Jouett Road for several of its segments in the counties east of C'ville, and my wife, who grew up just outside of Charlottesville, attended Jack Jouett Junior High School.

AO

RangerZ
07-07-2014, 16:47
Another good read. "War on the Run" by John F. Ross. The Epic story of Robert Rogers. Who actually ended up serving with the British in our war for independence.
If it were not for his fighting the French the War of independence may have very well have been against the French. Roberts Rangers were almost not human with their foot travel in winter conditions.

Sorry, but I've got to do it - Rangers lead the way!

TJ aka Teej
07-08-2014, 09:38
I had two ancestors on Arnold's March to Quebec, who both survived the ordeal. I know those woods, those mountains, and those rivers, and I marvel at it.

juma
07-08-2014, 09:53
Just west of the northern shenandoah, washington's engineers built a road up the side of the mountain to get into middle of the "fort mountain" area where mountains encircle a vally. I came down that road hiking on the tuscarora trail.

SawnieRobertson
07-08-2014, 09:55
Keep this thread coming. It is truly interesting. YOU are interesting people.

Alleghanian Orogeny
07-08-2014, 13:22
My bedtime reading last night was on Jack Jouett's ride, and some corrections are in order: Jouett was not a colonel, but a 24 year-old captain. Or he wasn't a militiaman at all, depending upon the story. Some contend he was merely dressed in flashy militia garb to ape his older brothers and was thus a "self-conferred" officer.

Furthermore, one account has Jouett recognizing Tarleton's column as who they were as they approached Cuckoo Tavern: the feared and hated "White Coats", noted for killing surrendering Continentals and civilians alike. Once they had passed, Jouett was said to have saddled up and followed them up the same road, looking for opportunities to get around them. Recognizing their stop at Louisa Court House was to be a long rest, he rode cross-country to get ahead of them on the route variously named "The Mountain Road" or the "Three Chopt Road" (road names which survive to this day in Louisa, Fluvanna, Henrico, and Albemarle Counties, VA). The Mountain Road, by the way, initially passed Charlottesville and crossed the Blue Ridge at Woods Gap, now known as Jarman Gap, within the Shenandoah NP west of Crozet, VA and a few miles north of Rockfish Gap. It was the principal route between the grain and produce-rich Shenandoah Valley and Richmond, Williamsburg, and Tidewater in the early and mid-1700s. Jouett slanted away from the Mountain Road as he approached Pantops Mountain, just east of Charlottesville, as the closest trail to Monticello crossed the Rivanna River at Midway. After Jefferson was warned at 4:30 am, he immediately sent his family away and packed his papers while keeping an eye on Charlottesville by telescope from his perch atop "Little Mountain", aka Monticello. Once he saw the British enter Charlottesville and a detachment headed in his direction, he finished his packing just in time to gallop away as the advance guard was reaching the lawn.

It's the subject of an entirely different discussion, but I've long been fascinated by the topography of that part of the Blue Ridge west of Charlottesville and the parallel Massanutten Mountain as relates to Civil War campaigns. During Stonewall Jackson's "Valley Campaign" of mid-1862, he recognized the likelihood of destruction of his forces as he tried to reach Staunton from today's Elkton, VA. Heavy rains had made the roads impassible and he recognized the Federals would likely catch him out in the open before reaching Staunton's defenses. At Port Republic, he brilliantly jogged east, up and over the Blue Ridge at Brown's Gap, the first major gap north of Jarman Gap, where a 1700s turnpike (toll road) had been built and operated by the Brown family (Brown's Cove, Albemarle County, VA). At the foot of the Blue Ridge, on the Piedmont side, the railroad from Richmond, through Gordonsville and Charlottesville ran west, climbing the Blue Ridge to reach Rockfish Gap, where a 5,000' horizontal tunnel connected the Piedmont to the Valley at an elevation several hundred feet below the Gap. Jackson loaded the wounded and sick onto train cars and sent them by rail to Staunton, following on foot and horseback with his main force of 7-8,000 men. Jackson's force thus "disappeared" from the Valley and "re-appeared" in the Valley just 2 days later, blocking the Union plans to attack the rail hub and supply depots at Staunton. Thoughout the Valley Campaign, Jackson was aided to a great degree by maps produced by Jedediah Hotchkiss, a schoolteacher and amateur topographer. By early 1862, Hotchkiss had produced a master map of the entire Shenandoah Valley, the Blue Ridge to the east, and the Alleghanies to the west, complete with all significant gaps in the ridges and fords and bridges across streams. Hotchkiss further provided intelligence by perching atop the southern tip of Massanutten Mountain and at various points along both it and the adjacent Blue Ridge, where the movements of forces along the Valley floor was easy to observe.

As one may see, the place names and the history associated with them are meaningful. That's why I continue to (mostly) quietly bristle when the segment of the AT between Rockfish Gap and Manassas Gap is referred to as "the Shenandoahs". Excepting the 50 mile long Alleghany ridge known as Shenandoah Mountain along the west side of the Shenandoah Valley, there are no "Shenandoahs". The AT follows the Blue Ridge Mountains through today's Shenandoah National Park, paralleling the Shenandoah Valley and to some degree Shenandoah Mountain, all the way across the Valley from the Blue Ridge/AT.

AO

rhjanes
07-08-2014, 15:42
Really cool posts!

My wife and my mom are both in the DAR. Our family name (Janes) goes back to like 1642 and New Haven CT area. I thought that was "back there". Shortly after we married (1986) I took my bride to see Jamestown VA. She had a relative who went in there in 1609, second wave of English!! We found his name in the records. I sometimes kid her "you got kicked out of England before my family!"

A tough letter to read was my Greatgrandfathers (mom's side, PA folks) letter home right after the civil war. He'd been held in Andersonville as a POW.

rocketsocks
07-08-2014, 20:09
another great read...The Mayflower by Nathaniel Philbrick

http://www.amazon.com/Mayflower-Story-Courage-Community-War/dp/0143111973/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1404864352&sr=8-1&keywords=mayflower+story+of+courage

Kerosene
07-09-2014, 11:07
...a good read by a great author. 1776 by David McCullough

http://www.amazon.com/1776-David-McCullough/dp/0743226720/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1404591168&sr=8-1&keywords=illustrated+1776 Great book. +1