PDA

View Full Version : wierdest place you have hung up

titanium_hiker
02-05-2005, 17:56
Ok, what inspired this thread is a leaky fly.

To test my hammock, I have strung it up under my desk in my room and have slept in it the last couple of nights. It has shown me that a hammock can be comfortable even hung at 'lower altitudes'

So, where have you hung your hammock, and what did you learn from it?

titanium_hiker

ocourse
02-05-2005, 18:56
Hi th! The most unusual spot was behind Bobblets Gap shelter on the A.T. My buddy and I both have hammocks and only went to the shelter to top up our water. The place was filled up and more folks were on the way. The area is really steep except for right in front of the shelter. Several tent-people had to turn around and hike back up the trail just to find a flat spot to pitch a tent. My bud and I went behind the shelter (too close to the john!) and hung hammocks on the super steep mountainside over brush and rocks. A lady told us we were "golden" since we could sleep anywhere. Aren't hammocks nice that way?

titanium_hiker
02-05-2005, 19:14
yep. My parents say: "She has a nice bed, but then she goes and sleeps in the hammock."

they just don't understand. LOL.

titanium_hiker

ocourse
02-05-2005, 21:41
On a trip last year, my buddy and his wife strung up separate hammocks in a straight line using 3 trees, and sharing the center tree. Well, the center tree was a bit small and when she bounced down he bounced up. Each movement one of them made was mimicked in reverse for the other hammocker. We couldn't get things stabilized so he finally switched trees.

flyfisher
02-05-2005, 21:52
So, where have you hung your hammock, and what did you learn from it?

titanium_hiker

Strangest place was in the cargo bay of a military cargo aircraft. The only open spot was above a munitions pallet. My bottom kept gently rocking into a case of hand grenades all night as I crossed the Atlantic.

Risk

titanium_hiker
02-05-2005, 22:06
shudder...

sounds hairy! I guess it's a nice piece of mind that they weren't 'activated'

I want to try and take one to school (when I get one small enough to fit in the back pack) and string it under the desks. grin. It would be the last day though, cause they can't confiscate it for long if you graduate that week...

titanium_hiker

NECKBONE
02-05-2005, 22:07
under a railroad trestle between two supports. was an adventure when three trains past over the bridge sometime during the night. neckbone.

Footslogger
02-05-2005, 22:29
Well ...it wasn't me, but I was there. A hiker called "Old Bill" in 2003 hung his hammock from the rafters in Eckville Shelter. It was raining cats & dogs that night and the shelter got over packed. People were sleeping 2 to a bunk and the floor was wall to wall sleeping bags. Old Bill climbed up on one of the upper bunks and tied off one side and then did the same on the other. As he crawled up and into the hammock the stress on the beams caused some pretty scarey noises. It wouldn't have surprized me if the entire place had come falling down. But the shelter held and Old Bill had a pretty good night sleep suspended over a half dozen or so hikers.

'Slogger
AT 2003

titanium_hiker
02-05-2005, 23:03
Ok, I guess truth is stranger than fiction.... but where do you want to hang your hammock?

titanium_hiker

ocourse
02-06-2005, 00:29
over a creek - a small one of course

The Hammocker
02-06-2005, 01:26
shudder...

sounds hairy! I guess it's a nice piece of mind that they weren't 'activated'

I want to try and take one to school (when I get one small enough to fit in the back pack) and string it under the desks. grin. It would be the last day though, cause they can't confiscate it for long if you graduate that week...

titanium_hiker

Use my modified hammock on hiking hq. It'll fit in your pocket!;) Good luck!

peter_pan
02-06-2005, 09:56
Camped in a campground with no trees. There was a barb wire fence with a 90 dgree corner and posts every 10 feet, so I hung my HH across the corner and was real careful hanging the tarp and getting in and out...worked fine, slept well. :-? :o :D

SGT Rock
02-06-2005, 12:38
In a shelter. Between 2 HMMWVs, over a "pond", on my back porch, from a chain link fence in the corner, probably some other places I am not thinking of.