PDA

View Full Version : Have you ever been a noob?

TheRaven
07-04-2011, 18:12
Hey everyone,
Believe it or not but my wife and I and our 2 dogs just did our first successful section hike of the AT up Bemis Mountain from the RR bed in Maine, then down Bemis Stream trail for a 12 mile or so hike. For the first night we camped by Bemis Stream, damn mozzies :) Then the next day we hiked up to Bemis Shelter where our dogs managed to find some discarded food (no wonder there are rodent issues) that they did their part and cleaned up. It then started to rain...heavily, but we were still 3 miles from the intersection of bemis trail and really wanted to camp at the 1/2 way point. So...we stupidly left. and hiked, and got soaked, and muddy, and I whacked my head on an overhanging log..ouch. Dog had to be carried the last 2 miles as he got cold and sore. We eventually made it, and luckily found a campsite. Set up the tent in the rain, and got most of our kit wet, except for the sleep system. I think we went to bed at 3pm?

I really can see how people get disheartened on the trail....but the folks we met; Short and Sweet, Greybeard, Grim, Birches, and some others who I did not catch the names of were all so nice and like a community dedicated to the trail and it's followers....we can also see what keeps people going.

So as a noob, I have a lot to learn about hiking, how to pack, etc etc. Basically clueless. Although I actually started with a 19lb pack....it was 32 by the time I finished.....I found a discarded moose antler on Bemis and HAD to take it. There are reasons I am called the Raven :D

DLANOIE
07-04-2011, 18:31
Well good for you for getting out there and doing some real backpacking Raven. It isnt always sunny and warm and peachy keen. Thats all part of the adventure. So you got wet, hopefully you will take this experience on your next hike/camping trip and do a little better. How did the dogs do? Any pics? Moose antlers are hard to find, nice score! Thanks for posting.

TheRaven
07-04-2011, 18:47
Well good for you for getting out there and doing some real backpacking Raven. It isnt always sunny and warm and peachy keen. Thats all part of the adventure. So you got wet, hopefully you will take this experience on your next hike/camping trip and do a little better. How did the dogs do? Any pics? Moose antlers are hard to find, nice score! Thanks for posting.

I've always lived near Acadia and did most of my hiking there. A trail that gets 10 people per hour vs 5+- people per day is vastly different. The AT is HARD in comparison. Dogs did well. The Ruffwear pack is not going to cut it. One dog was biffing off every rock as he was twice his natural width. The older dog with his ruffwear harness did great. Up and back he was able to "levitate" by me lifting or cushioning his jumps. Doing so took much of the strain off his joints so he had a very nice hike and did well. Biggest thing were the longer breaks to allow the dogs to rest. They will need booties though for the long haul.
I've been trying to actually find a moose antler since I was a little kid...was thrilled to find this one. I actually almost left it though after about 2 miles.....I was in serious pain. My Golite pinnacle does not fit very well. and was doing a number on my shoulders and neck. Gotta love my wife, she offered to carry it out the remaining three miles out if I hiked up the road and got the jeep we left just beyond the trailhead 1.5 miles away. Good deal!!

TheRaven
07-04-2011, 19:01
Young cairn behind, notice the older one sleeping behind me. nap-time at every break.

skinewmexico
07-04-2011, 22:49
You know what they say, good judgement comes from experience, and experience comes from bad judgement. Hang in there. Seems like most of memorable trips were disasters. Remember to keep your Pinnacle compressed tightly, that will stiffen it, and transfer weight to your hips better (I know that from "experience"). And you can cut a piece of coroplast to fit in with the foam backpanel that will help also.

TIDE-HSV
07-04-2011, 23:08
You probably should post over on Straight Forward, where there are a couple of young brothers about to take off from Waynesboro, VA, and hoping to get as far north as they can. They are noobies and they want to take along three dogs. Of course, they have no idea what they're getting into, but someone needs to tell them about the need for dog booties...

TheRaven
07-05-2011, 07:13
You probably should post over on Straight Forward, where there are a couple of young brothers about to take off from Waynesboro, VA, and hoping to get as far north as they can. They are noobies and they want to take along three dogs. Of course, they have no idea what they're getting into, but someone needs to tell them about the need for dog booties...

Those guys do have a lot to learn....best of luck to them. I could not do it...but that's me. 2 30+ lb dogs and a 20lb dog. in a small tent.....wow. Hope they take some advice..they need it. .

hikerboy57
07-05-2011, 08:14
experience is the best teacher.My first trip was 1976, intending to hike the presidentials from Franconia Notch to Pinkham. My buddies pack had a broken strap, we had taken CANS of food,sterno for fuel, lost most of our food the first day out, got bitten by bugs just about everywear there was skin, and bailed out into the Pemi after 3 days, miserable and hysterical at the same time, laughing at our inexperience. It was still a great trip, Franconia ridge , to this day, is still my favorite stretch of trail.When S*** happens, it gives you something to talk about. When conditions are perfect, its great, but sometimes when conditions are terrible, you end up with your more memorable hikes.
I still learn something on every trip.and theres certainly a lot of good advice here on WB.

TheRaven
07-05-2011, 12:30
hikerboy; it's funny you should mention the Presidentials. Having lived in New England my whole life I have never been up Mt Washington as I have a policy to climb up furst...then I can drive. About 10-15 years ago we had the bright idea that we were going to do the entire range in 5 days, with 2-50 lb packs filled with ???? including an ice-ax but managed to forget my jacket. Having never backpacked before we figured it would be easy. We got about a mile in to the first AMC shelter, realized how much it was to stay there, all the sites were full and we ended up in a spot on the leech field. Our dinner was burnt tuna casserole....blah. That night it snowed so we decided to hike back out the following day..... By the time we got to the car we felt like dying. Sometimes the most memorable times are the times when you look back and call yourself an idiot!! :)

DLANOIE
07-05-2011, 12:38
hikerboy; it's funny you should mention the Presidentials. Having lived in New England my whole life I have never been up Mt Washington as I have a policy to climb up furst...then I can drive. About 10-15 years ago we had the bright idea that we were going to do the entire range in 5 days, with 2-50 lb packs filled with ???? including an ice-ax but managed to forget my jacket. Having never backpacked before we figured it would be easy. We got about a mile in to the first AMC shelter, realized how much it was to stay there, all the sites were full and we ended up in a spot on the leech field. Our dinner was burnt tuna casserole....blah. That night it snowed so we decided to hike back out the following day..... By the time we got to the car we felt like dying. Sometimes the most memorable times are the times when you look back and call yourself an idiot!! :)

Man, remind me not to go hiking with you ever!:p

TheRaven
07-05-2011, 13:44
Man, remind me not to go hiking with you ever!:p

did I mention I pick up every piece of crap I find? That's why I'm Raven...I scavenge. Then again that 5' piece of line I found at a shelter did come in handy a ways down the trail. I count ounces only because in the end I have added pounds to my pack.

DLANOIE
07-05-2011, 14:27
I always pick up trash I find. It really annoys me sometimes what people arent willing to carry out. Like AA batteries, what do they weigh?! Water bottles, c'mon! Sorry for the hijack.

Nearly Normal
07-05-2011, 22:28
I feel a bit noob everytime I go. I like it.