PDA

View Full Version : Water Crossings - get boots wet or change to Crocs?

LeeMan
07-05-2011, 09:21
When you encounter a water crossing, do you forge ahead and let your hiking shoes/boots and socks get wet, or do you stop and change into sandals/crocks?

Also, do you prefer gore-tex water-proof hiking shoes, and among the sandal or crocs, what's recommended? Thanks.

Storm
07-05-2011, 10:01
I change if the water is deep enough to go over the tops of my boot. I wear Vasque GTX hiking shoes. I use rubber crocs as water shoes and camp shoes.

weary
07-05-2011, 10:12
It depends on what the stream is like. I sometimes just wade across in bare feet. But if there is a lot of slippery rocks and the stream is deep, the safest crossing is to remove your socks, but replace your boots. After crossing dry your feet. Empty your boots of water. Replace your socks and boots and keep walking.

Most foots don't absorb much water from a brief crossing and will dry quickly once you're walking again.

jbwood5
07-05-2011, 10:18
If I'm wearing running or trail shoes, I just go through the water. If I am wearing boots, and they are currently dry, I prefer to take them off and put on Croks or Waldies. That does eat up a lot of time and sometimes there are a series of crossings that can go on for a mile or more (i.e. GSMNP on lower trails).

In heavy wet periods, it really doesn't make much difference because whatever foot gear you are wearing is soaked anyhow. On those days I just slosh thru whatever is on the trail in my boots.

Slo-go'en
07-05-2011, 11:06
I broke a toe crossing a stream in the 100 mile wilderness doing it bare foot, so will never do that again. Slipped off a slime covered rock two steps from getting across.

I don't normally carry Croks or other camp shoes. I have a hard time keeping Crocks on my feet on dry land, don't think they would stay on very long under running water.

Even though its a pain, if I need to cross deep water I take my socks off, put the boots back on, walk across, dry my feet and wipe out the inside of the boots, put the socks back on. You don't want to hike with dripping wet socks, as that will cause blisters in no time.

weary
07-05-2011, 11:43
Boots are always safer on your feet. Once while working on the trail south of Monson, a group of sobo hikers went by. One girl was barefoot. One guy asked plaintively where his pack might have ended up. They had tried to cross the river barefoot, and had lost their boots and their packs in the attempt.

Lone Wolf
07-05-2011, 12:19
i keep my boots on when fording the kennebec

sbhikes
07-05-2011, 12:19
Being able to cross with your shoes on and no fussing before and after is one of many reasons trail running shoes or Chaco sandals are superior to boots.

DLANOIE
07-05-2011, 12:30
i keep my boots on when fording the kennebec

Especially when the dam water is released right?!
LOL;)

TheRaven
07-05-2011, 12:35
I like the vibram 5 fingers KSO, not the leather trek....once I got used to them. They allow me to hike safer as I can feel the surface, plus I can do water crossings with better grip and not have to take them off.

dillard
07-05-2011, 12:47
I like the vibram 5 fingers KSO, not the leather trek....once I got used to them. They allow me to hike safer as I can feel the surface, plus I can do water crossings with better grip and not have to take them off.

+1 to that! I use the new TrekSports which have the KSO upper but the Trek sole which is the best of both worlds for trail use.

TheRaven
07-05-2011, 12:55
+1 to that! I use the new TrekSports which have the KSO upper but the Trek sole which is the best of both worlds for trail use.

I got a good feel for the difference over the weekend. I have a pair of merrell trail runners that would not keep a good grip sideways and would crush my toes if toe first. I used them for the first day until they got soaked. I then hiked the second day in my 5F and a world of difference. Yeah they got wet..but I did not fall, or hurt my feet. I was also carrying 10 more lbs due to a moose shed I found.