PDA

View Full Version : Jmt mpd

sly dog
07-05-2011, 12:12
I am hoping to get the time off of work next year to do a JMT thru hike. I frequently hike the AT for days or weeks at a time but never did western hikes other than Alaska day hiking. On the AT I average 15 mpd or just over due to getting late starts. When trying to figure out the time I need to complete the JMT I was wondering what kind of mpd in those mountains is equilivant to 15-18mpd AT hiking. In Alaska I had done over 23 mpd two days in a row but elevation was minimial. Any help on this would be much appreciated.

sbhikes
07-05-2011, 12:26
I don't know the trails out east, but the altitude will slow you more than you expect. Most of the JMT hikers do about 8-12 miles per day, but in my opinion, most of them are way too overloaded with too much gear. I go pretty light and have been able to consistently do between 15 and 20+ as both a section hiker and as a PCT hiker. Generally, if you are in good physical condition and go pretty light, you can do one big pass a day (about 15 miles) without it taking up the whole day.

ChinMusic
07-05-2011, 12:36
You should be able to easily do a few more miles/day on the JMT than the AT. You need to take snow and elevation acclimation into account, as those items can reverse things. Elevation KILLS me for the first few days on the JMT. Most of the JMT is a pack trail, designed for beasts of burden. A horse can't follow much of the AT.

Ulhiker
07-05-2011, 18:05
A pretty good rule of thumb is 30 minutes per mile, plus 30 minutes for every 1000 ft gain in elevation. This has been a pretty good guideline for the Sierra.

Phreak
07-05-2011, 22:37
You should be able to easily do 20 miles days on the JMT.

Jim Adams
07-05-2011, 22:49
If you have done weeks at a time on the AT it seems like you don't have problems getting the time off. If that is the case, why hurry? IT IS INCREDIBLY BEAUTIFUL! Go slow and spend as much time as you can. I am a little old fat man and had no problems doing 10 mile per day and spending alot of time in some beautiful places.

geek

fiddlehead
07-05-2011, 22:51
Remember, if you start at Yosemite village, you will be going all uphill (and probably not yet acclimated for 10,000'+ hiking), so, your mileage will be slower than the AT.
After you get to Toullume and are feeling a little better, things will get much easier.
Then you will get to the passes a few days later which are (as I remember?) 7-10 miles apart.
I normally did 2 of these a day. (ie: mather, glen, muir, forester, etc etc)
I've done the whole trail in 20 days, 15 days and 5 1/2 days already. Up to how I feel and how much time I had.

Good luck and have fun. It's a great trail.

ChinMusic
07-05-2011, 22:55
If you have done weeks at a time on the AT it seems like you don't have problems getting the time off. If that is the case, why hurry? IT IS INCREDIBLY BEAUTIFUL! Go slow and spend as much time as you can. I am a little old fat man and had no problems doing 10 mile per day and spending alot of time in some beautiful places.

geek

Great point. Why hurry indeed. If you have the time, select a slower pace and just enjoy. It would be like seeing how fast you could eat a Ruth's Chris steak. You will understand once you get there.

sly dog
07-06-2011, 07:58
Oh I plan to enjoy it and not rush but just looking at logistics on food drops and approximate camping spots and all. I have done 2 weeks out on AT a couple times but I'm gonna see if I can get 4weeks off to do the JMT. I don't think it'll be a problem at work as long as I do like last two weeks of one month and first two of next month so I'm not gone 30 days in one month. I'm thinking next aug and sept. So I guess it's best getting a one way ticket to San fran then book a flight home when I know when I'll finish? Is there any cell service a few days north of Whitney so I can call for a flight or do ya have ta wait till off the trail?

Sly
07-06-2011, 08:04
A horse can't follow much of the AT.

They grade the western trails, not to make it easier on the horse, but to make the horse impact easier on the trail. A horse could do get fine on most of the AT but it would be the trail that suffered.

sbhikes
07-06-2011, 10:18
Is there any cell service a few days north of Whitney so I can call for a flight or do ya have ta wait till off the trail?
There is no cell service on the trail, although at the top of Mt. Whitney there is. There is really good bus service so you can complete your hike and take a bus back to Yosemite or to the airport in Reno. You'll probably have plenty of down time to make flight arrangements.

ChinMusic
07-06-2011, 10:58
A horse could do get fine on most of the AT but it would be the trail that suffered.
My friend who raises, trains, rides, and lives horse, disagrees. The terrain is often much too rugged on the AT.

Dogwood
07-06-2011, 15:13
Going JMT SOBO starting at Happy Isles in Yosemite Valley at a lower elev. working up to acclimitizing to higher elevs. with no MAJOR trail issues such as snow to contend with AND you have no MAJOR health/medical issues AND you are not hauling more than 40 lbs you should have no problem avg 15 MPD.

To each their own but I'm totally with Jim Adams - DO NOT RUSH A JMT THRU HIKE!

el31415
07-09-2011, 02:54
Are you going to hike from sunrise to sunset ,
15 MPD is a good estimate.
I did the jmt in 2010 and my only regret was not having the time to do many of side trips , lazy cold swim or sunbathing by the shore of the lake...and no fishing