PDA

View Full Version : Are there bear boxes, poles or cables systems at these shelters in SW Viriginia?

Three Black Labs
07-05-2011, 18:09
We are carrying one large bear canister for the two of us. BUT - we will also have one bag that will need to be hung that has a few extra things in it - (toiletries, garbage, etc.) It would be helpful to know if we can hang the extra bag on a cable system, etc. OR - do I need to start practicing throwing the rock and rope over a limb without it coming back and hitting me in the face!!

Thanks for any help out there - you guys are always great at helping out! :banana

These shelters are heading north from Damascus to Mt. Rogers Headquarters:
Saunders Shelter
Lost Mountain Shelter
Thomas Knob Shelter
Hurricane Shelter
Trimpi Shelter

Road runner
07-05-2011, 19:21
I did that section last week. I went southbound from VA 683 to Damascus. I stayed at Partnership, Trimpi, Old Orchard, Thomas Knob, and Saunders. I ate lunch at Lost Mountain. There were no bear poles, boxes, or cables at any of these shelters. This is an amazing section. Water was good everywhere except Thomas Knob. Enjoy your trip.

30 Large
07-05-2011, 19:59
All of those shelter have bolts and/or nails along the beams for hanging bags. Just make sure you put a mouse preventer on the rope. The top of a gatorade bottle with a hole cut through the lid works perfectly.

TheRaven
07-05-2011, 20:01
All of those shelter have bolts and/or nails along the beams for hanging bags. Just make sure you put a mouse preventer on the rope. The top of a gatorade bottle with a hole cut through the lid works perfectly.

Damn....and I thought those things were bored hikers making wind chimes.....yes I'm being serious....

30 Large
07-05-2011, 20:13
Damn....and I thought those things were bored hikers making wind chimes.....yes I'm being serious....

I actually thought the same thing when I first started on the trails, until a rat chewed a hole through my drybag and managed to eat all... ALL... my oatmeal. In my fury, my buddy laughingly explained how to make sure they can't get to your bags.

bulldog49
07-06-2011, 11:43
You probably are more likely to encounter Bigfoot in that section than a bear. Leave the heavy bear canister at home, totally unnecessary.

TexasEd
07-13-2011, 11:41
More likely to run into ponies than bears. Bring a rope if you want to hang your food bag, I would not worry about a canister.

Deerleg
07-17-2011, 14:33
You probably are more likely to encounter Bigfoot in that section than a bear. Leave the heavy bear canister at home, totally unnecessary.
Yep saw him only once in 12 years...;)
Many many trips in VA and while they're a few (bear) sightings and the entry or 2 in a shelter log, with a little care probably wont have any problems, and may not even have a sighting.