PDA

View Full Version : Ahh spring break is coming

Thumper 2006
02-05-2005, 22:29
I am thinking of thru-hiking the art loeb trail in pisgah national forest. If anyone has done this please let me know. I was just wondering if it is possible to do this in the first place. I here some of the trail is not well marked and very overgrown, and navigation becomes very hard.

The Solemates
02-07-2005, 10:12
I am thinking of thru-hiking the art loeb trail in pisgah national forest. If anyone has done this please let me know. I was just wondering if it is possible to do this in the first place. I here some of the trail is not well marked and very overgrown, and navigation becomes very hard.

Ive hiked the majority of the Art Loeb, but never in one big thru-hike. How long is the entire thing? I know it is part of the Mountains-to-Sea, so where is the official beginning and end of the Art Loeb? But to answer your question, yes, in many places the trail is overgrown and not that well marked, but if you just follow your nose its not that hard to follow. There is always at least some sort of depression in the ground that resembles a trail, as the Art Loeb is well-travelled in most places. I have certainly been on much worse.

Youngblood
02-07-2005, 10:24
Solemate,

Just a thought. With the questions you have concerning the actual length of the trail and where it starts/ends, how do you know you have hiked the majority of it and that it is well traveled in most places? You do have do information on the sections you have hiked, maybe you should spell out what those sections are? I and I suspect you have also, have hiked trails that are okay up to a certain point and then thinks can change drastically.

Youngblood

Thumper 2006
02-07-2005, 14:30
The trail is around 30.1 miles, it starts and davidson river camground, up through the shining rock wilderness and ends at daniel boone scout camp.

The Solemates
02-07-2005, 15:31
The trail does not start at davidson campground to my knowledge. It starts much further to the West of there. I have hiked the entire section from Davidson to daniel boone. And I thought is went past daniel boone as well. All of it is very well marked and easy to follow. In fact on a recent trip I did part of it over Christmas:

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=6937