PDA

View Full Version : Advice on 3 Night Hike Ending at LeConte Lodge

MountaineerNewf
07-06-2011, 08:18
We have been lucky enough to get a reservation at LeConte Lodge in August. Party of three, two experienced hikers and a 16-year old daughter. I thought we would spend 2 nights on the trail before hiking to the Lodge. I hiked to the Lodge last year via Alum Cave Trail. While it seems Icewater Spring Shelter is a good choice for our second night, I'm not finding much for the first night. We are up for anything. Any help much appreciated.

Mr. Bumpy
07-06-2011, 13:03
Last year I took my 7 year old on something that you might be looking for. We went up Alum and stayed the first night at Leconte. From there over to Icewater and after that to Kephart then came out on 441. If you want some more miles the 3rd night could be campsite #49 and come out at Smokemont. Either way I'd leave my car at Smokemont instead of the highway. The good thing about setting up this way is that it gets the big climb out of the way early and the rest is mostly a cruise. The seasoned hikers would dig it, you get a creek on the 3rd night, and it would be easy enough for a novice.
Have fun!

ken209
07-06-2011, 13:18
What Mr bumpy said, except in reverse if you want to finish at the lodge.

bulldog49
07-06-2011, 14:21
Start at Elkmont, first night at Mt. Collins shelter, 2nd at Icewater. It's possible to hike back to Elkmont from LeConte with just a short roadwalk.

MountaineerNewf
07-07-2011, 12:56
Start at Elkmont, first night at Mt. Collins shelter, 2nd at Icewater. It's possible to hike back to Elkmont from LeConte with just a short roadwalk.

My thanks for all three suggestions, am favoring going via Mt Collins.

bulldog49 -
Looking at the trail map, there are are multiple options from Elkmont area to Mt. Collins shelter (Little River, Fighting Gap or even Husky Gap) any specific recommendations? Also, can you elaborate on the route of the roadwalk back from LeConte to Elmont? Every way looks long to me on the NPS map, but it would be great to do as a loop and spare a shuttle.

Thank you again to all who responded.

wornoutboots
07-12-2011, 13:03
My wife & I parked at NF Gap last year & hiked the AT to Sweat Heifer to Kephart, then up Dry Sluice to Icewater past Charlies Bunion then you could go back to NF gap. last week I hiked down Alum Cave which is a really neat "must do" scenery hike (minus all the people I passed) I then hitch hiked to the Smoky mountain Brewery for some xtremely tasty beverages. I think you can catch the Cherokee shuttle back to ur car if you didnt want to hitch w/ your daughter. Happy Trails!

BTW - my whole trip was: Parked on Roaring fork road, hiked to # 32, Day 2 hiked to #31, day three 8 miler up Brushy Mt to Leconte Shelter, then down Alum Cave, but you can take bullhead back to your car. Brushy Mt is a little grown up but has a wonderful Cascade w/ wading pool @ 1/2 way up.

wornoutboots
07-12-2011, 13:04
The Roaring fork trip was last weekend