PDA

View Full Version : remembering Packstock

forever27young
07-06-2011, 09:48
Hi, I am the mother of Justin Kenny. Justin was a thru-hiker in 2005 and went by the trail name of Packstock, (also Mr. Gimp). As some of you may remember, Justin was killed while attending the Bilville feed in Duncannon. This weekend marks the 6th year anniversary of his death and this year is special because the dates fall on the same days of that year. I really wanted to attend the feed this year, but will not be able to, hence this message. If anyone has any strange experiences this weekend around the campground, in the Doyle bar, or around the old train station, I would love to hear about it. And if anyone just has any memories they would like to share, I would love to hear them too. These years have been hard for me to say the least, and keeping his memory alive is the only way I make it through. I will be watching here on whiteblaze or you can email me at [email protected]. thanks so much, carla P.S. Cumcumber Boy, if you are out there I would love to hear from you!!!!!

House of Payne
07-06-2011, 21:00
I didn't know your boy...But I'm very sorry for your loss

paistes5
07-07-2011, 12:10
I learned about the story in Skywalker's book. He had nothing but kind things to say about him. Very sorry for your tragic loss.

forever27young
07-07-2011, 12:26
I learned about the story in Skywalker's book. He had nothing but kind things to say about him. Very sorry for your tragic loss.

i never heard of Skywalkers book, how could i get a copy of it or read it?

paistes5
07-07-2011, 12:39
I got it on my Kindle app for my phone. I think you can get it on amazon.

perrito
07-07-2011, 14:47

The book is "Skywalker: Close Encounters on the Appalachian Trail (http://www.amazon.com/Skywalker-Close-Encounters-Appalachian-Trail/dp/1934144266/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1310064239&sr=8-1)". I just finished it. It's a good read.
Sorry for your loss.

Skywalker
08-26-2011, 15:24
Forever Young,

Just by chance I ran across your post. Glad to see you have integrated yourself into the vibrant AT community (next step is to hoist a backpack!). Yes, Justin was my very first friend on the AT. I was undoubtedly the worst hiker on the trail at that point; he proved very tolerant of my neuroticism, cowardice, and blunders. We got separated after that first week and never saw each other again, but kept asking other hikers about each other. My mother corresponded with Emily (they met in the parking lot at Springer Mtn after dropping me off); then suddenly Emily stopped returning e-mails in late July of 2005. I was a few days north of Duncannon at that point, when we all heard the news. But I knew him only as Justin, and didn't recognize the name, Packstock. Miss Janet later told me the story.

As I've recounted in the book, Justin struck me as authentic as the day is long. He was a natural for the AT. I was very glad to see when walking into Damascus, Va. last year for Trail Days that there was a sign commemorating Justin where hikers come into town.

I'll always remember him as my first and one of best trail friends. As I said, it was only a week that we were together. But a week is a heckuva' long time in the intense life of a long-distance hiker, where people bond instantly without all the artifices of modern society to get in the way. Good luck with all your endeavors.