PDA

View Full Version : concept: warmponcho insulation

titanium_hiker
02-05-2005, 23:09
I like the Jacks R Better under quilt, but I'm a broke student who doesn't want to wait for shipping anyway. I also am concerned about volume as well as wieght.

The idea is a warm poncho type thing that would double as outside hammock insulation (it wouldn't also double as rain gear).
Material? I'm open to suggestions, I was thinking maybe fleece, as I don't expect to see snow, or even sub 0*C temps.

I don't want anything that restricts the hammock into a tortilla shape. I like it flat. :jump

anyway, has this been done before? (other than the no snivler)

what about the head hole? I guess a sinch would work. What about shape? should I go for the rectangle or the diamond/banana shape?

any suggestions?

thanks

titanium_hiker

SGT Rock
02-06-2005, 12:31
I did something similar with an Army poncho liner. I think I have somepis somewhere. It wasn't the greatest solution, but I think after seeing a JRB quilt I could do a better job.

Check out this link: http://hikinghq.net/forum/showthread.php?t=761&highlight=underquilt

titanium_hiker
02-06-2005, 14:53
thanks SGT Rock.

umm... with a home made hammock, what about velcro on the edges, and the poncho attached that way? also could be used to enhance the wearablity of the poncho.

thanks again.

titanium_hiker

titanium_hiker
02-06-2005, 14:55
oh, and, how much difference did it make to your comfort? (warmth wise)

titanium_hiker

SGT Rock
02-06-2005, 15:17
Not enough in my opinion, but my errors were mostly in my attachment method. If I had it to do over again I would only fold twice (to make a wider coverage area, my system was too narrow) and then find a way to put draw-cords on either end so it adheres to the bottom of the hammock like a JRB quilt. I would also use an attachment system like JRB because it works so much better and is easier to figure out.

titanium_hiker
02-06-2005, 22:33
so you mean if you did it again it would be snug on your hammock bottom?

thanks.

titanium_hiker

neo
02-06-2005, 23:17
i have a prototype army poncho liner made into an underquilt made by peter pan
at jacksrbetter.it can be used in very mild weather but it wieghs 20oz,his down
underquilt wieghs about the same,so the down underquilt would be the way to go,jack really knows his stuff,:sun neo

SGT Rock
02-06-2005, 23:36
Yes, the problem with mine was mostly fit. The JRB quilts fit much better. Neo is also correct, if weight is the #1 factor, the JRB quilts are lighter with more loft.

titanium_hiker
02-07-2005, 19:33
hmmm... actually I was thinking more about making a hammock insulation, and double using it as a poncho, not the other way around.

thanks for your responses! I plan on doing a prototype soon.

titanium_hiker

SGT Rock
02-07-2005, 19:48
Well you could still do the poncho thing. The dimensions on my liner are almost the same as my Army poncho, so just fold one in half and play with it.

titanium_hiker
02-07-2005, 20:25
looking forward to it.

I'll post back with pics when I have them.

titanium_hiker