PDA

View Full Version : Hiking with asthma

Caleb
02-05-2005, 23:55
Over the past year my asthma has gotten considerably worse. It started out about ten years ago, mild asthma, exercise induced, but the list of triggers kept growing..The most recent trigger is extremely cold weather...minus 10 f and below. 15 minutes in such temps and i feel like I'm sucking air through cotton balls at 20,000 ft.

I recently found that breathing thru a balaclava makes a huge difference...I dismissed the suggestion at first because it didn't seem it would make that much of a difference, but I was very wrong. just by the warming the o2 a little bit before it hit the lungs makes an incredible difference. Three months ago I was turned around in the mountains by asthma. This last weekend I overnighted in the Whites with temps down to 0f. With the right meds (Ad-Vair, a corticosteroid) and a balaclava I did just fine. Now I'm back to dreaming about Rainer, Hood, and higher!! C

ocourse
02-06-2005, 00:32
Maybe you could try one of those heat-exchange face shields. I don't know the name but maybe you are familiar with it.

Mr. Clean
02-07-2005, 07:55
Glad to hear that you have gotten your asthema under control. I finally did as well, and only get that sucking for air and theres none there feeling on really steep climbs, but with a short rest I'm back at it.
I'm on a slew of meds to try to keep nasal passages open and polyps at bay. Advair, nasonex, prednisone, and flucosamine. I can smell right now, and after several years of not being able to smell, it's pretty great. The smell of spruce trees on a hot summer day is trully amazing.
So, I won't be able to thru until my late fifties or early sixties, but it's under control for now, and my short section hikes in the Whites and Mahoosucs are a great way to get grounded again from the distractions of Town life.

lostjohn
02-07-2005, 18:37
I know the feeling well. I was walking about 1/4 from the house the other day and a nice cold wind hit me in the face, and reminded me of just how good I have it now. There was a time that would have been a real problem.
I think you know what I mean.

It doesn't help with the cold air but one of the things that helps my breathing is 'believe it or not' playing the harmonica. The draw notes really help clear out my lungs. After finding out how much it helps, I have purchased several really nice ones. But the one Cracker Barrel sells is truly a nice instrument.

Its been about three years since the family located me in the stores by listening for my wheezing.

Anyway, take care.

wacocelt
02-07-2005, 22:59
I suffer from sever athsma while living in the 'other world', so severe that I took 5 trips to the ER within a 4 week period earlier this fall. While I'm hiking I carry an Albuterol inhaler but can only recall using it once while actually on the trail itself.

orangebug
02-07-2005, 23:02
I appear to have lost the exercised induced asthma, but get really impressive bronchoconstriction when dealing with cat dander - especially cats that live indoors the bulk of their lives. So far in my travels, the hostel cats haven't been a problem.

I'd never consider hiking without a rescue inhaler, but thus far haven't needed it.

Mausalot
02-08-2005, 09:17
Make absolutely sure you have an Epi-pen. Get a perscription from your doctor and hike with a couple of them. They can literally be a life saver!

Here are some other tips

1. Carry strong Coffee (Caffeine is a bronchial dilator)
2. A friend went off wheat and it helped his asthma tremendously. Worth a try for a week.
3. When we hiked a few years ago, forest fires in quebec triggered a horrible attack while in Maine!

Remember that if you are in danger, you put others in danger as well. Say you have an attack in a horrible storm and others have to take you out of the woods, that sort of thing. Make sure it is well under control before you head out and take all proper precautions. But certainly don't let the asthma keep you from hiking.

Cameraman:dance

ToeJam
02-08-2005, 12:50
Advair has been my savior as well. I have suffered from asthma since I was a kid, and Fall and spring are my worst season times for whats in the air, but yup, the cold air is killer as well. I use my Buff as a balaclava also when its cold and it really helps.

But I started Advair a couple years ago and its a whole new world for me. I never gpo anywhere without my albulterol rescue inhaler after my whole life of being that way, but its a rare occasion I need it anymore. And not NEED need it like I USED to like life or death, but just because I am having a little trouble. The bar has been raised...

Glad you found a solution that works for you, Caleb! :)