PDA

View Full Version : Ula P1

Singletrack
02-06-2005, 04:59
A friend bought a P1. The ULA website stated that the pack weighs 24.0 oz, plus 2.4 oz. for two hipbelt pockets. For a total weight of 27.4 oz. It actually weighed 33.5 oz. on his digital scale. ULA's response was," some of those hipbelts are heavy." Question, has anyone else had a weight discreptancy in their P1 packs? The P1 does weight 24 oz. without the hipbelt. Do you think ULA fails to mention this on their website?

Skeemer
02-06-2005, 09:29
I probably should have weighed mine empty when it came in the mail or when I washed it for the first time last week. I can tell you that I love it and don't care if it is off a few ounces. I did get all of the options. No rips or tares after 3000+ miles, the only thing that broke was a 10 cent plastic "tightner" that was easily replaced. I can't say enough good about it.

I did try buy the new six moons pack last year for a couple of hundred miles...it rode too low on my ass. I tried to contact them via email to see if it could be adjusted or replaced with no success.

fantasmagris
02-06-2005, 09:33
Ditto, i've owned two P-2s and one P-1. Weighed the older P-2 with all options at 2-9. the P-1 is significantly lighter. Have used all three and they all rock. More importantly what did your friend think of his P-1 after real life use? :D

PS - Backpackgeartest.org had several testers weigh theirs w/o descrepancy your friend noted.

Footslogger
02-06-2005, 12:00
I probably should have weighed mine empty when it came in the mail or when I washed it for the first time last week. =================================
Skeemer ...I thought you had the P2 ???

Well, I have the Fusion (also by ULA) and it is advertised at 32 oz and that's what it weighed when I got it.

'Slogger
AT 2003

Skeemer
02-06-2005, 12:24
'Slogger, I just looked it over and could not find anything on the label. It had better be the P1 as that is what I've been telling everyone for two years. You might be thinking about the hikersRus Pack 31 group...some of them went with the newer slightly heavier P2 that was written up in Backpacker magazine. I bought mine after hearing about it from Funky Avocado in his '02 journal.

Singletrack
02-06-2005, 13:58
I recommended the P1 to my buddy. He thinks it's a great pack, and plans on keeping it. He was a bit dissapointed because the weight was almost a half pound more than advertised. But thats the real world.

bearbag hanger
02-07-2005, 00:07
Don't remember the weight when I got it, but my P2 weighed what it was supposed to. I purchased mine in Damascus at the Mount Rogers Outfitters. I've cut off a few things and it now weighs 2 lb 10 oz. Great pack, but kinda wore out, but I did get all the way to Mt Katahdin with it. My only complaint about the pack is the load lifters always slided out of place. Never did figure out how to keep them in place.

fantasmagris
02-07-2005, 07:11
was yers the all spectra model? ya know he upgraded em all to that last year...

chris
02-07-2005, 11:02
My oversize P1 with the hipbelt pockets came in at right about 33 oz, which is more than the weight listed on the webpage. I've never really bothered to check my scale against the webpage, so this is indeed a little odd. Perhaps the web page weight doesn't include the hipbelt at all, even though it is a standard feature now. It used to be an option, and maybe the error is the weight listed before.

bearbag hanger
02-07-2005, 11:23
was yers the all spectra model? ya know he upgraded em all to that last year...
No, it had a few waterproof panels in it. The coating on all the water proof panels are coming off on the inside of the pack.

Singletrack
02-07-2005, 12:41
My friends pack weighs 26.2 oz. without the hipbelt. And 33.3 with the hipbelt. Thus 7,1 oz. for hipbelt with the two pockets. I would think that ULA's website listing 24oz. is without the hipbelt. He does not have the Spectra Overkill option. Still a great pack!