PDA

View Full Version : Reroute of MST off of Blue Ridge Parkway

WingedMonkey
07-07-2011, 18:43
Not sure yet if this is good news or bad news. Takes the route off the busy BRP but puts it on busy four lane highway. Does give more resupply options to towns. Would be nice if you could jump on the Smoky Mountain Railroad.

Section 2-3: Oconaluftee River to Balsam Gap South

Approximately 30 miles

Based on a request by the Blue Ridge Parkway staff, FMST has rerouted thirty miles of the trail to now follow US 441 out of the Great Smoky Mountain National Park through the Cherokee Reservation and then east on US 74 to the Blue Ridge Parkway at Balsam Gap South. The map below depicts the new route.

http://www.ncmst.org/the-trail/plan-your-hike-2/trail-sections/section-2-to-3/

10-K
07-07-2011, 18:49
Holy cow.... That's not very good.

10-K
07-07-2011, 18:58
Maybe it won't be *that* bad - there's camping about halfway and resupply options. A person wouldn't need to carry much on this 30 mile stretch I'd imagine.

WingedMonkey
07-07-2011, 19:05
Maybe it won't be *that* bad - there's camping about halfway and resupply options. A person wouldn't need to carry much on this 30 mile stretch I'd imagine.
Yeah but that's only one day for you.
:banana

10-K
07-07-2011, 19:19
Yeah but that's only one day for you.
:banana

I wasn't going to say that.... :)

restless
07-07-2011, 21:28
I've actually hiked this section several years ago. Not sure I would want to do it again. Wish there was a better alternative.

Tennessee Viking
07-07-2011, 22:37
I will have to ask about that. I know for most of those sections there isn't much of a shoulder for hikers to use. But section 3 should possibly be completed this year or early next year.

IMO, I find 441 and 74 to be way too busy for hikers to use as a road route.

At least it has some lodging along the way.

ki0eh
07-08-2011, 07:46
If Earl Shaffer can hike the BRP in 1948, why can't NC-MST hikers do it in 2011?

Sly
07-08-2011, 11:48
I've actually hiked this section several years ago. Not sure I would want to do it again. Wish there was a better alternative.

Until they built real trail there is, stay on the BRP.

Tennessee Viking
07-08-2011, 14:00
South Beyond6000 hikers will need to use the Parkway shoulder to climb to the top of the Plotts.

Tennessee Viking
07-08-2011, 15:51
I just got word that NPS is worried of hikers being hit by cars while going through the tunnels on section 2 (Visitor Center to Soco Gap).

Instead of 441 and 74, looks like there is an easier route going on Big Cove Road and Bunches Creek Road to Big Witch Gap. And then something called BIA 407 bypasses the last tunnel. I don't know the status of these roads but they are listed on Google Maps and MyTopos.

WingedMonkey
07-08-2011, 16:20
And then something called BIA 407 bypasses the last tunnel. I don't know the status of these roads but they are listed on Google Maps and MyTopos.

BIA means Bureau of Indian Affairs roads. Here on the Florida Trail, BIA roads are totally controlled by the Seminole or Miccosukee whose tribal lands they are on. Would be interested to find out if that is also the case with the Cherokee lands.

modiyooch
07-09-2011, 14:27
yuk. It makes better sense to make a trail and go over the tunnels. We did that section. Pavement walking is bad enough, but taking it off the parkway is taking away from the beauty of it.

Taba
08-02-2012, 14:13
Until they built real trail there is, stay on the BRP.

As the guidebook author for the MST, I have contemplated on what to do about this section. I do not like the new highway route around the BRP. I believe it is the worst alternative to reroute the trail away from the amazing views of the BRP in that section. I do not see any danger hiking through the tunnels. In fact I feel that this is one of the highlights of the trail. What other trail will give you this experience? They are all very short tunnels where you can see the exit from the entrance. I want the guidebook to be accurate in this area but I also want to keep people safe out there.

As a general question about this issue, what should I do about this section in the Manual? Should I ignore what the NPS and the FMST are saying is the best route or do I continue to list the directions for the BRP route? Personally I would rather hike the BRP. What does everyone else think? I will be out there hiking the MST again this year starting soon from the OBX. There will be a 2013 edition of the Manual so I would like to get a collective opinion from everyone before the next edition. The majority will rule on this topic.

Thank your for your help and I hope you continue to enjoy this wonderul adventure.
Taba

Tennessee Viking
08-02-2012, 15:35
Taba, I am helping in creating part of the new reroute for the upcoming Neuse River route. The Neuse River Greenway sections around Clayton are currently all walkable. Just missing a mile of pavement. Wake County is still working on their section from Falls Lake to Mial Plantation Road. But there are some sections that are walkable. Looks like everything will be officially open 2013. But I will try to send you some spreadsheet/Google Map directions if want to follow some of the reroute.

I was just in western Carolina and drove the temporary detour. There are definitely some if-fy spots along the detour using the highway for a road walk. Definitely go by the Diane's running route if you do bypass the tunnels, it is a lot more secondary roads.

I know the NPS can push the FMST into advertising another route. But I don't think they will be able to control hikers since there already published guides using the parkway and tunnels for Section 2. If anything, hike Section 2 during the winter months when they close the parkway to automobile traffic.

The Carolina Club has been building and maintaining that section for years. And now NPS wants all that time scrapped and re-done.

10-K
08-02-2012, 15:35
I'm going to hike from the Visitor's Center to Balsam Gap on the BRP this winter during a time when the parkway is closed...if it is... I've hiked the trail between Clingman's Dome - Pisgah Inn.

BTW, great job on the manual - very handy to have.

The Old Chief
08-02-2012, 18:00
I'm going to hike from the Visitor's Center to Balsam Gap on the BRP this winter during a time when the parkway is closed...if it is... I've hiked the trail between Clingman's Dome - Pisgah Inn.

BTW, great job on the manual - very handy to have.

I've been told that the main reason parts of the BRP are closed in the Winter is because the tunnels fill with Ice from the dripping ceilings. Should be interesting to find out. There is a proposal to use a new route in the Smokies after Clingman's Dome so that the trail will come out in Bryson City. From there the trail will follow several secondary roads to avoid the busy highway and go through the small towns of Sylva and Dillsboro to Balsam Gap.

10-K
08-02-2012, 18:04
I've been told that the main reason parts of the BRP are closed in the Winter is because the tunnels fill with Ice from the dripping ceilings. Should be interesting to find out. There is a proposal to use a new route in the Smokies after Clingman's Dome so that the trail will come out in Bryson City. From there the trail will follow several secondary roads to avoid the busy highway and go through the small towns of Sylva and Dillsboro to Balsam Gap.

I will let you know.. And I'll take my little ice-grabber things you put on your boots.. I can't even remember the name of the durn things now... Not the cheap ones... the good ones.

Smoky Scout
08-08-2012, 21:17
When I started the MST I chose a long route thru the Smokies that the Carolina Mountain Club was advocating for: from Clingmans Dome to Smokemont Campground, then Bradley Fork, Chasteen Creek, Enloe Creek, Hyatt Ridge, Beech Gap, Balsam Mountain, Mount Sterling, Pretty Hollow Gap Trails got me to Cataloochee, then Rough Fork Trail got me out to Heintooga Ridge Road. From there Heintooga Road took me to the BRP, bypassing all the tunnels. It added a lot of miles (who's counting?) and was a beautiful route through some highlights of the Smokies. Camping was convenient all along the way.

mountainman
10-03-2012, 20:14
I'm planing to hike section 2&3 in Oct using the Parkway. Will the trail blazing still be on section 3?

Tennessee Viking
10-04-2012, 08:24
Carolina Mtn Club was still working on building trail on Section 3 over the Plotts up until last year. I think they were nearing the top near Waterrock Knob access road

wellington
12-16-2012, 12:56
Seems to me that for the time being trails could be built over and/or around the parkway tunnels. That being said long-term I like the proposed re-route of the MST thru Bryson City over to Sylva.