PDA

View Full Version : Spot personal locator

nu2hike
07-07-2011, 21:55
Are any of you familiar with this device and if so how reliable is it on the trail?

10-K
07-07-2011, 22:03
I've got one and my wife really likes it. :) All I can tell you for sure is that the "I'm OK" feature works as advertised. I've never used the tracking service or needed to SOS for help.

It's a neat toy, but it's really for the folks at home.

TrailPossum
07-07-2011, 22:11
I have had one for the past 3 years and have had no problems with picking up service or the performance of the device itself. The first year I had the tracking feature upgrade along with my regular service. My mother enjoyed tracking my outings on google maps and it made a nice way to track hikes since it saves the waypoints. The only drawback of the company I have noticed is when it was time to re-up my subscription. They stealthed charged my card that was originally given to them to continue the subscription without any warning! Good thing I had the money in the account. =) Maybe I didn't read the small print close enough but I would at least think they would call letting me know that they were going to charge 100-200 dollars on my card. Like I said though, the spot device itself has worked fine through many elements in the backcountry and the satisfaction of knowing help is a button press away is comforting.

Shooting Star
07-07-2011, 23:31
I've used a SPOT on trips since 2008 and like it. It keeps the folks back home happy, so no one
minds me doing trips. I like the tracking feature - upload the waypoints to google maps and provide
a share page to friends. The share page is updated as you walk so anyone you provide the web url
to can follow your trip as you're walking. I've never used the Help or SOS functions.

One thing to be aware of is that transmit power is pretty weak in order to get longer battery life. A
full tree canopy overhead will block the signal, so some of the tracking waypoints never make it "home".
For OK, Help, SOS use, get into an open area to make sure your messages get out. I switch the
batteries out about every 10 trips and probably don't need to do it that often.

Like 10K says, it's a toy, but a pretty handy one. Do you really need one of these things? Nope.
But I carry other things I don't need and that's ok.

Country Roads
07-08-2011, 20:23
I had one of the first ones and it was only about 60 to 70% on the sends. I purchased one of the newer ones this year. I am at pretty much 100% send on it so far. I like that the newer one is more user friendly too. It is worth it to keep the home folks off my back about solo hiking and yah never know when you might need the 911 feature. I can recommend the new spot units, they seem to work pretty well, even here in WV.

nu2hike
07-08-2011, 20:24
Thanks! I purchased it more for my family's peace of mind than for myself! I find that I'm carrying more techno gizmos all the time!, I would prefer not to, but can't decide which to leave at home! I carry my iPhone not only for the phone, but also for the camera and MP3 player! {I'm an audio book fan} I usually carry a GPS, but may or may not need it on the AT. I mostly use the odometer! I like knowing how far I've been as well as how far I have to go! Now I've added the Spot to the mix! Rediculous!! Lewis and Clark I aint! :D

topshelf
07-09-2011, 10:56
Works great for the girlfriend, does struggle with signal in the trees, use it in a field. I use the I'm OK button and my personal message button I have it say I'm ready to be picked up so if I need to be picked up at the end of my section it tells anyone where I'm at and when to get me. The personal message worked well when I had to come off the trail yesterday, cutting my 5 day walk down to 2, due to troubles with the gf.

mike220
07-09-2011, 16:59
I have the Spot with the Delorme GPS. Was very use full when we were ahead of schedule and were going to be picked up at a different location.

Just texted a message to my wife of the new pick up details and time, hours early. Didn't have to wait long, our ride arived 30 minutes after hiting the road.

bk18
07-09-2011, 18:11
SPOTs are neat, but if you're wanting an actual locator beacon to use in emergencies, look into the ACR brand of PLBs. They don't rely on cell signal, they link up with national search and rescue satellites and transmit your coordinates so that rescuers know exactly where to find you.

HiKen2011
07-09-2011, 23:25
SPOTs are neat, but if you're wanting an actual locator beacon to use in emergencies, look into the ACR brand of PLBs. They don't rely on cell signal, they link up with national search and rescue satellites and transmit your coordinates so that rescuers know exactly where to find you.

I thought that's what the spot did? Does it (spot) not pinpoint your location in an emergency?

Shutterbug
07-10-2011, 00:14
I thought that's what the spot did? Does it (spot) not pinpoint your location in an emergency?

The SPOT does not use cell coverage. bk18 is confused.

I used to carry the ACR brand of PLB. The problem with it is that you can only use it in an emergency. You can use the SPOT in an emergency, but can also use it just to stay in touch with your family and friends. I was an "early adopter." I bought one of the first SPOTs and have been using it since then. It does what it is supposed to do.

bk18
07-10-2011, 08:02
The SPOT does not use cell coverage. bk18 is confused.

I used to carry the ACR brand of PLB. The problem with it is that you can only use it in an emergency. You can use the SPOT in an emergency, but can also use it just to stay in touch with your family and friends. I was an "early adopter." I bought one of the first SPOTs and have been using it since then. It does what it is supposed to do.

I coulda swore at one time, SPOTs used cellular towers instead of sattelites. Either way, as others have stated, it's a neat toy but I really wouldn't trust my life to it. I've seen too many reviews of spotty service. SPOT does not connect to SARSAT directly rather it connects to the GEOS system (which means if you don't get a GPS signal, you won't get a communication signal) which has the greater potential for degraded transmissions depending on your surroundings, and for me, that's a no go. Real PLBs use multiple redundant technologies when connecting to the SARSAT system, some of which are not degraded by tree cover or land formations, and will even use Doppler shift to determine your location if GPS data is not present. It will even emit an international 121.5 MHz locator beacon to aid searchers in finding you. Then there's the subscription fee for SPOT. Thanks but no thanks. SPOT is useful as others have stated for letting family members and such know you're doing ok and let them watch your trek, but if your desire is lifesaving ability, a real PLB is the route to go.

10-K
07-10-2011, 08:13
On the AT you don't need a SPOT or a PLB but by far the more useful of the two (on the AT) is the SPOT.

JaxHiker
07-10-2011, 09:58
If I could do a monthly subscription I'd get the Communicator. I'm not going to pay $99/yr for it to sit in a box 90% of that time. My friend is using the Communicator to send updates while sailing across the Atlantic and throughout the Med. It's been working pretty well and it's been fun watching the journey on the map.

On my last hike I just used Twitter to send my position directly from the GPS app on my smartphone.

Wise Old Owl
07-10-2011, 11:36
I coulda swore at one time, SPOTs used cellular towers instead of sattelites. Either way, as others have stated, it's a neat toy but I really wouldn't trust my life to it. I've seen too many reviews of spotty service. SPOT does not connect to SARSAT directly rather it connects to the GEOS system (which means if you don't get a GPS signal, you won't get a communication signal) which has the greater potential for degraded transmissions depending on your surroundings, and for me, that's a no go. Real PLBs use multiple redundant technologies when connecting to the SARSAT system, some of which are not degraded by tree cover or land formations, and will even use Doppler shift to determine your location if GPS data is not present. It will even emit an international 121.5 MHz locator beacon to aid searchers in finding you. Then there's the subscription fee for SPOT. Thanks but no thanks. SPOT is useful as others have stated for letting family members and such know you're doing ok and let them watch your trek, but if your desire is lifesaving ability, a real PLB is the route to go.

Bk - I am with 10k on this one I am unaware Spot ever working on cell towers, and you are comparing a Ford with a BMW. The price difference was huge at one time. Since Spot Came out the price of PLB's came down. Here in America nobody will show up if you transmit on 121.5 Why? The range of the signal is less than a mile. The CAP is seriously defunded and rarely goes out anymore to practice the technique of RDF. When a nearby helicopter tripped the device a few years back, the Heliport was unaware it was on until I showed up and asked them to turn it off. It was on for many hours. SAR's are unlikely to carry a seperate RDF for that stated purpose. And most important, the folks that monitor these PLB's all over the world take a long time to reach out to the right proper authorities in an emergency. (As much as a day) The Spot folks (from articles in the past here on WB and the internet) are far better domestically at getting the 911 signals to the right people.

Now that being said, the answer is different out West, vs East I would ask/ call someone who is in SAR and lives in the Rockies.

For the price and quality - Spot is spot on.

Big Dawg
07-10-2011, 12:04
Spot's are for weenies!!!

just kidding,, :p actually, I'm surprised my wife hasn't insisted on me carrying one yet.

Wise Old Owl
07-10-2011, 12:15
Granted Big Dawg - you can go without one on the AT, but you would not go out on a boat on the Atlantic without a radio, survival gear, extra water, and a spare inflatable. It has its place. It's a good solution for hikers.

How long can you tread water?

HiKen2011
07-10-2011, 12:45
Granted Big Dawg - you can go without one on the AT, but you would not go out on a boat on the Atlantic without a radio, survival gear, extra water, and a spare inflatable. It has its place. It's a good solution for hikers.

Ahh, good point! I have one but have never acctivated it, plan to this fall.

10-K
07-10-2011, 13:29
just kidding,, :p actually, I'm surprised my wife hasn't insisted on me carrying one yet.

And once you do, it's going with you every time. I've tried to conveniently forget mine the last 2 times I've went hiking and just as I was getting ready to go my wife asked, "Did you get that thing that let's me know you're ok?".

max patch
07-10-2011, 13:44
Thanks! I purchased it more for my family's peace of mind than for myself!

Hoe much "peace of mind" is your family going to have if you camp at a spot that does not have service and that "I'm OK" message never comes?

10-K
07-10-2011, 13:49
Hoe much "peace of mind" is your family going to have if you camp at a spot that does not have service and that "I'm OK" message never comes?

For my wife it's a convenience. She doesn't sit around on pins an needles waiting on an "I'm OK" message ready to call SAR if my message doesn't come through. If she were that obsessive I wouldn't be married to her. :)

But so far, after about 45 nights of use 100% of the "I'm OK" messages got through.

Big Dawg
07-10-2011, 16:31

you did see the "just kidding" note, right? :rolleyes:

Phreak
07-10-2011, 17:29
Spot 2 works great. 100% success with "ok" msgs.

HiKen2011
07-10-2011, 17:32
Spot 2 works great. 100% success with "ok" msgs.

That's the one I have, gunna activate later this year

Mags
07-10-2011, 18:04
As an alternative view about "The loves ones at home can make sure you are safe".....

My fiance' grew up in Cold War Eastern Europe. She has a much different take on the ability to be tracked then a person who grew up in America. ;)

It is radical..but all she asks is the general route and a phone call when I back from my trip.

Kinda like what was done in the dark ages of 2005.... :D

skinewmexico
07-10-2011, 18:52
BPL tested the new Spot 2 under some really tough conditions, and it was head and shoulders above the original Spot. They did 80 days of testing in North and South America, and 100% of the "I'm OK" messages were successful. Now if I was sailing to Tahiti, I'd probably want a PLB.

10-K
07-10-2011, 19:22

Wise Old Owl
07-11-2011, 22:34
Actually Big Dawg this Old Owl is starting to need GLASSES, for the first time in his life... I gotta fix that cap I am a Philly's Phan.

http://i250.photobucket.com/albums/gg275/MarkSwarbrick/Rapper-owl--33614.jpg

topshelf
07-11-2011, 23:05

Having one myself, I have dealt with this issue. Here is how my girlfriend and I do it. First I TRY to send a message at every place I camp, or at least send one or two each day at some point during the day. If she doesn't get one I let her know it does not mean that I am hurt and I'm not OK. I tell her it probably means I'm somewhere I can't get reception. It will struggle under the trees but most often than not it will send a message unless you are hanging in a very dense section in a deep valley. It will send on top of the ridge lines with no problem. So we've come to an agreement that the only time she should worry is when I send a S.O.S. message.

Shutterbug
07-12-2011, 12:04

As with all electronic gear, there is a learning curve. Once one learns how to use it, there isn't a problem with failure of the signals to get through. Before SPOT, I used to carry a sat phone when I went into the wilderness. I have found the SPOT to be more reliable than the sat phone was.

10-K
07-12-2011, 12:34
I would dearly love to hear from someone who has firsthand knowledge of how the SOS feature works.

If you press the SOS button - I wonder what *really* happens?

HiKen2011
07-12-2011, 12:41
I would dearly love to hear from someone who has firsthand knowledge of how the SOS feature works.

Remember the guy at Springer a couple yrs. ago who got lost? SAR rescued him only a few (hundred) yds off the trail. He used the sos on his spot.

Shutterbug
07-12-2011, 13:13

It works as advertised. When you activate the SOS feature, someone from the emergency center will call the telephone numbers in your profile, then will call the agency responsible for search and rescue in the area where the SOS was activated.

Earlier this year, I was hiking in the Grand Canyon. I was trying out my new Delorme/Spot -- the one that allows you to send text messages from your Delorme GPS. There was a glare on the gps that kept me from seeing it clearly and I accidentally activated the SOS function. Within a minute, my cell phone rang. It was the emergency center and they were following through on the instructions on file. I was able to cancel the SOS before any rescue personnel were notified.

It was an embarrasing mistake. I was glad that I was still in cell phone range, but it did give me comfort to know that the SOS feature really works and the response is fast.

My mistake did point out a problem. It is too easy to activate the SOS on the Delorme/SPOT. One click on the SOS button sends the message. My guess is that the software will be revised to require a second click confirmation. (A clarification for those not familiar with the Delorme/Spot -- the spot device can be activated from the gps display. The SOS button on the spot device has a cover on it, but the SOS icon on the gps screen can be activated merely by placing the cursor on the SOS incon and clicking.)

SPOT has recently introduced an even newer version. With the new version, one can pair the SPOT with their cell phone to send out text messages. I wish I had waited because the display on the Delorme GPS is too small for my 68 year-old eyes. The Delorme/SPOT won't work with a cell phone because the blue tooth connection uses a different frequency.

Raul Perez
07-12-2011, 13:52

I've had that issue... BUT I anticipated not getting coverage everywhere. So my instructions were if you dont get an ok message within 24 hours of the last message then check the map (I have the add'l tracking feature) and see if I am moving forward. If neither show anything call the authorities.

I send about 3-5 OK messages a day to make sure at least one gets through.

Panzer1
07-12-2011, 14:44
what's wrong with just carrying a cell phone. You can at least talk to your family. Would they not worry less if they could hear your voice.

Panzer

skinewmexico
07-12-2011, 14:51
what's wrong with just carrying a cell phone. You can at least talk to your family. Would they not worry less if they could hear your voice.

That would be great, if your only hiking close to cell towers. There are a lot of large areas without cell phone coverage where I spend most of my time.

Shutterbug
07-12-2011, 15:17

Panzer I carry both, but most of my hiking is out of range of the cell phone. As I mentioned in the earlier post the latest advancement of SPOT is to connect by bluetooth to your cell phone. You can't talk on the cell phone, but you can send text messages.

Panzer1
07-12-2011, 16:06
That would be great, if your only hiking close to cell towers. There are a lot of large areas without cell phone coverage where I spend most of my time.

nah, you get pretty good coverage on the AT. They don't have to be in touch every second anyway.

Panzer

House of Payne
07-12-2011, 17:34
When I looked at REI's reviews on the SPOT 2, alot of them came back as negatives. Anything from hardware related to customer service and activation (cost) issues. After reading about 30 of them I would hesitate to make the purchase.

Bear Cables
07-15-2011, 00:46
what's wrong with just carrying a cell phone. You can at least talk to your family. Would they not worry less if they could hear your voice.Panzer Because sometimes you hike where there is no cell service. In Arkansas on Eagle Rock Loop...no phone or 3G service for 4 days and my husband got concerned that he hadn't heard from me. That's when I purchased the Spot 2. This winter on the Buffalo River Trail, again, no device of cell or 3G. Glad I could let him know everything was ok via the Spot. Usually on the AT there are many spots where you can call out but not so other trails. Another example...Hoh River Rain Forest in the Olympics. Glad to have the Spot for my husband's and my mom's peace of mind.

Mags
07-15-2011, 09:25
Just curious (and I'm honestly not trying to start an argument), why the daily phone-home?

I am taking off next week for 8 days solo and a good chunk of my route is off-trail. A call when I am done is all that is being asked (along with my general route).

Five years ago or so, this type of communication with a loved one was adequate, now I am hearing more and more a daily check in is expected.

Again, I am honestly not looking to stir the pot...just curious as to this cultural change? Guess I am looking for an honest (and constructive) dialogue of people's personal experiences and reasoning.

R00K
07-15-2011, 09:32
On the AT you don't need a SPOT or a PLB but by far the more useful of the two (on the AT) is the SPOT.

Thanks 10-k!

skinewmexico
07-15-2011, 09:37
When I looked at REI's reviews on the SPOT 2, alot of them came back as negatives. Anything from hardware related to customer service and activation (cost) issues. After reading about 30 of them I would hesitate to make the purchase.

Check the dates on those reviews, and see how many of them are from before the Spot 2 was released. People put way too much faith in the customers of REI.

JaxHiker
07-15-2011, 09:37
Just curious (and I'm honestly not trying to start an arrangement), why the daily phone-home?
For me I have a young son and I like to tell him goodnight and hear about his day. His memory lasts a nanosecond so I have to ask while it's somewhat fresh. :D

Shutterbug
07-15-2011, 11:53
Just curious (and I'm honestly not trying to start an argument), why the daily phone-home?

I am taking off next week for 8 days solo and a good chunk of my route is off-trail. A call when I am done is all that is being asked (along with my general route).

Five years ago or so, this type of communication with a loved one was adequate, now I am hearing more and more a daily check in is expected.

Again, I am honestly not looking to stir the pot...just curious as to this cultural change? Guess I am looking for an honest (and constructive) dialogue of people's personal experiences and reasoning.

Mags, people have not really changed, but the technology has. When I served in Vietnam in the 1960's, I didn't call home during my entire tour. I sent lots of letters, but didn't talk to my wife or children for the full tour. Today, I am expected to call every day when it is practical because it is easy and cheap.

Now, I often hike in wilderness areas where there is no cell phone communication. My wife and family like to receive the SPOT communications because it allows them to feel like they are participating in the hike. It isn't because they are more worried about my safety than they used to be. It is because it is practical to communicate at a reasonable price.

It is the same thing with photography. Just a few years ago, I would take a "whole roll" of film on a hike (36 pictures). Now, it isn't unusual for me to take 500 or more. It isn't because I have changed. It now costs less to take 500 than it previously cost to take 36. Advances in technology result in changes in behavior.

10-K
07-15-2011, 12:44
This is a very good response to Mag's question I think....

Mags, people have not really changed, but the technology has. When I served in Vietnam in the 1960's, I didn't call home during my entire tour. I sent lots of letters, but didn't talk to my wife or children for the full tour. Today, I am expected to call every day when it is practical because it is easy and cheap.

Now, I often hike in wilderness areas where there is no cell phone communication. My wife and family like to receive the SPOT communications because it allows them to feel like they are participating in the hike. It isn't because they are more worried about my safety than they used to be. It is because it is practical to communicate at a reasonable price.

It is the same thing with photography. Just a few years ago, I would take a "whole roll" of film on a hike (36 pictures). Now, it isn't unusual for me to take 500 or more. It isn't because I have changed. It now costs less to take 500 than it previously cost to take 36. Advances in technology result in changes in behavior.

Wise Old Owl
07-16-2011, 23:20
nah, you get pretty good coverage on the AT. They don't have to be in touch every second anyway.

Panzer

Panzer - we discussed Cell Phone coverage three months ago, there are large sections that have NO coverage, or you have to have Verizion for the southern states, ATT for the northern.... Maine doesn't have coverage for the trail in most sections.

Spot does have its place....

There was an earlier post to read the reviews on Spot II on REI's website... Quite disconcerning... so I went to SPOTS site, and discovered the complainers didn't get replacement coverage or did not read the billing agreement.

What would you do?

WingedMonkey
07-16-2011, 23:39

I'm still old school. Call home about every 7 days. Starting carrying a cell phone full time on trails only after pay phones went obsolete.

Rain Man
07-17-2011, 10:26
... so I went to SPOTS site, and discovered the complainers didn't get replacement coverage or did not read the billing agreement.

If the dispute is between a common consumer (the whole object for the product) and some corporation with a multi-page, fine print, convoluted "billing agreement," I'm siding with the victim, the poor consumer. Now, if it's a plain English (why don't corporations have to "speak English" in the USA?!) two or three short paragraph document, I might change my mind.

Now... off to the woods for the week, without a defective SPOT, but with a cell phone, not expecting nor demanding good coverage.

Rain:sunMan

10-K
07-17-2011, 12:00
I've seen a lot of people complain that the $99 tracking service was automatically renewed when it expired.

Sorry - they couldn't make it any plainer when you sign up. I'm all for the "little guy" but the little guy has to pay attention.

If the dispute is between a common consumer (the whole object for the product) and some corporation with a multi-page, fine print, convoluted "billing agreement," I'm siding with the victim, the poor consumer. Now, if it's a plain English (why don't corporations have to "speak English" in the USA?!) two or three short paragraph document, I might change my mind.

Now... off to the woods for the week, without a defective SPOT, but with a cell phone, not expecting nor demanding good coverage.

Rain:sunMan

skinewmexico
07-17-2011, 12:15
If letting the family know you're ok everyday is what it takes to go hiking, I'd get a Spot 2. Not that big a deal. Some of you guys who are so tough you wear your clothes out from the inside should lighten up. And the only decent review I've seen (and would trust) on the Spot 2 is on BPL.

10-K
07-17-2011, 12:40
If letting the family know you're ok everyday is what it takes to go hiking, I'd get a Spot 2. Not that big a deal. Some of you guys who are so tough you wear your clothes out from the inside should lighten up. And the only decent review I've seen (and would trust) on the Spot 2 is on BPL.

I make sparks to start fires by clicking my teeth together real fast. My spit is more flammable than gas.. :)

Panzer1
07-17-2011, 13:41
If letting the family know you're ok everyday is what it takes to go hiking, I'd get a Spot 2... .

What if you just used a cell phone and called them every day, or every other day, or every third day.
or every hour?

Panzer

ALLEGHENY
07-17-2011, 14:35
At $99.99/mo they should just give them to you.

I was offered one for free when I bought my Old Town canoe. After reading the terms I could not justify the total cost.
People will be lucky to get a post card from me.

JaxHiker
07-17-2011, 14:47
It's $99/yr not /mo.

ALLEGHENY
07-17-2011, 14:57
Okay. I still don't want one.

Mags
07-17-2011, 22:55
If letting the family know you're ok everyday is what it takes to go hiking, I'd get a Spot 2. Not that big a deal. Some of you guys who are so tough you wear your clothes out from the inside should lighten up.

Nothing to do with being tough..just wondering why a call every 5 days was adequate to today's situation when a call every 5 days is now being irresponsible for many people? Think it is part of a cultural shift of communication being expected at all times and being instant. I get razzed because I do not reply to work e-mails off work hours. :)

I also realize I am just charging windmills... :)

Also, in fairness, the original Spot had lots o' issues. The SPOT2? Seems like it is a reliable and easy to use product based on the reviews (BPL among others).

skinewmexico
07-17-2011, 23:07
I make sparks to start fires by clicking my teeth together real fast. My spit is more flammable than gas.. :)

Replace all the cuben with canvas, and I'll believe you.

And I understand what you're saying Mags. We live in a society where a large portion of our population cannot live without constant and instant communication, and some kind of electronic stimulation in the rest of the time available. Drives me crazy.