PDA

View Full Version : final backpack decisions

CornerCreek27
07-07-2011, 22:11
hey yall thanks for such a great site.

Im about to buy a new pack for a 2012 thru hike (GAME) and ive been absolutely floored by all the great new packs that are out there now. From my old boy scout days, i am no UL hiker but I love the new ventilated packs. Please, any reviews/ info/ recommendations on the following packs would be awesome!

-Osprey Atmos 65
-Gregory Baltero
-Gregory z65
-Deuter ACT Lite 60+10

Im about 6 foot, 145 Pounds so getting a good fit will important.. and Ill be probably hauling about 35-40 pounds total max on the trail.

Thanks in advance!

Lando11
07-07-2011, 22:59
All of those are too big. Go with a osprey exos 46 (assuming you fit in their packs). Another great pack is the ULA circuit. Both are a touch over 2 lbs and are rock solid.

grayfox
07-07-2011, 23:27
hey yall thanks for such a great site.

Im about to buy a new pack for a 2012 thru hike (GAME) and ive been absolutely floored by all the great new packs that are out there now. From my old boy scout days, i am no UL hiker but I love the new ventilated packs. Please, any reviews/ info/ recommendations on the following packs would be awesome!

-Osprey Atmos 65 (I found this to be difficult to pack because of the internal design and uncomforable on my hips YMMV)
-Gregory Baltero
-Gregory z65 (I have a z55, very comfortable in your weight range -though you will probably lighten up some. Best of your choices for venting probably.)
-Deuter ACT Lite 60+10 (I have this and it is huge, but OK for cold weather hauling--also have a 45+10 I haven't used much yet but like the size better for a longer fair weather hike. Both are quite comfortable under medium to heavy loads)

Im about 6 foot, 145 Pounds so getting a good fit will important.. and Ill be probably hauling about 35-40 pounds total max on the trail.

Thanks in advance!

Even though you are not an ultralighter now--take time to checkout the packs that will be mentioned by those here that know them. You might find something you will like down the trail. If I were starting out tomorrow, I would probably take either my z55 or my smaller Deuter. They are not my lightest packs but they are comfortable for me.

CornerCreek27
07-08-2011, 00:49
thanks for the pointers.. i guess im really scared to go fully lite weight with a pack under 60L, maybe its all mental.

im looking at the big agnes seedhouse UL 2person for shelter and my bag is an old Kelty synthetic that i can compress but i feel will still take up a lot of room.. plus an old roll rigid rest to boot.

im not sure how it will all fit!

Rocket Jones
07-08-2011, 06:06
It doesn't get mentioned as much, but also check out the REI Flash 65 if you've got a store near you. Great pack.

skinewmexico
07-08-2011, 13:39
Nothing wrong with going lighter; embrace the technology. I'm constantly amazed by hikers who won't live without the latest iPhone, iPad, iPod, and laptop, but look at the weight-saving improvements of the last decade as instant death. An increible amount of tough, functional, and light gear made in the USA now.

HiKen2011
07-08-2011, 14:47
All of those are too big. Go with a osprey exos 46 (assuming you fit in their packs). Another great pack is the ULA circuit. Both are a touch over 2 lbs and are rock solid.

Agree exos 46, great pack!

skinewmexico
07-08-2011, 16:49

Sold my Exos 46 to fund my made in Utah ULA Circuit. Both great packs if they fit!

Jay_NJ
07-16-2011, 00:15
It doesn't get mentioned as much, but also check out the REI Flash 65 if you've got a store near you. Great pack.

Great pack. You should definitely check it out if you want a 60 liter pack. You can also take the top off of it and save a few ounces.

karo
07-16-2011, 20:56
I have the Flash 65 and the Big Agnes SL2 tent and I carry the tent in the straps on the outside bottom of the pack.

Limeman
07-26-2011, 01:49
I say Flash 65 as well if you need extra volume. It is very comfortable, light-weight, versatile, and best of all, is priced under $170. Great pack!