PDA

View Full Version : Go lite vs Gregory

woodsman
07-08-2011, 15:12
Looking at a new pack and trying to decide between Go Lite Odyssey or the Gregory Baltoro 75. Most of my hiking will involve 2 week hikes on the AT or other local trails. NOT SURE SAVING 2.5 LBS IS WORTH GIVING UP COMFORT AND QUALITY THAT THE GREGORY HAS.

skinewmexico
07-08-2011, 16:46
Looking at a new pack and trying to decide between Go Lite Odyssey or the Gregory Baltoro 75. Most of my hiking will involve 2 week hikes on the AT or other local trails. NOT SURE SAVING 2.5 LBS IS WORTH GIVING UP COMFORT AND QUALITY THAT THE GREGORY HAS.

You probably won't be happy with the GoLite, as it's not intended for the same kind of loads that the Baltoro is made for. Now if you're carrying a 2# tent, a 1-1/2# sleeping bag, and a lightweight kitchen, the GoLite would probably be wonderful.

Chomp09
07-08-2011, 17:44
^^^^^ Agreed ^^^^^^ The Go Lite pack is intended for a very different level of volume and weight. For most of us it's not possible to downsize on the weight & size of a pack without making some investments in the remainder of our gear as well. Lots of Labor Day sales coming up though!

Trailbender
07-08-2011, 18:44

2.5lbs of weight is a lot. I have used both brands of packs, and they are both about the same quality level. 4500 cubic inches is a cavernous pack. If you have the correct amount of gear, there really is no reason to need a pack that big. You can resupply sooner than 2 weeks on the AT, so there is no need to carry that much food.

Freedom Walker
07-08-2011, 23:05

I have the Odyssey myself and I believe it is the largest of the Golites. I decided on it so I could carry more on short weekend hikes as well as longer trips on the AT. There are reviews for the Odyssey out there because I have read them. I believe i read that they can carry up to 50lbs, but from my experience with mine, I think 35lbs should be top.

AndyB
07-10-2011, 18:17
I bought a new Gergory Z 65 at the beginning of the summer..Super happy with it, carries weight so good I couldn't stop smiling. If you're getting into lighter weight gear, like
I am, I 'd look at that pack too, it's smaller but our gear gets lighter every year. I backpack with the family, so ultra light aint happening, but for 20-25 pounds I'm loving the z65 and don't plan on going smaller or lighter.

gregory fan
Andy