PDA

View Full Version : Hiking Withdrawal - Inclement Weather Set Up VIDEO

Raul Perez
07-08-2011, 18:39
Having a bit of withdrawals from hiking the AT last week. Storm came in so I figured it was the perfect opportunity to actually set up in the rain as I have never done that before. I have been lucky in that the rain has come in after I have set up.

Practice makes permanent:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FrG3O2-xyNE

30 Large
07-08-2011, 18:51
Good video. I've been wanting to try out a hammock for awhile, just skeptical because of my size. Definitely want to at least try one after watching this.

xiaoyan848
08-01-2011, 04:22
Having a bit of withdrawals from hiking the AT last week. Storm came in so I figured it was the perfect opportunity to actually set up in the rain as I have never done that before. I have been lucky in that the rain has come in after I have set up.

Practice makes permanent:

great video ! thank you for sharing...........

Del Q
08-01-2011, 20:52
I recognize that I could be completely missing this about hammock camping, example: the new Six Moon Designs cuben fiber tent is 20 ounces with the poles. Easy/fast to setup............every hammock pic I see illustrates seemingly complicated rope and setup work................

Raul Perez
08-01-2011, 22:20
Some have complicated set ups mine is very simple... one line which I dont need to tie a knot for my tarp to tie to trees... then my hammock tie outs which is a marlin spike hitch (easy to do and very fast).

Then I stake out my tarp. Total set up is about 2-4 minutes depending on high winds and rocky ground. But that would be the same for a tenter as well.

Country Roads
08-05-2011, 20:22
I think my set up to get sheltered for hammock camping is faster than a tent. After tarp is up, you can take your time setting up everything else. The lines are not really complicated, probably less so than a tent. Rigging pull outs and using your poles to create a porch is something you can do easy enough and it only looks complicated. Tarps and hammocks expand your options and having breakfast in bed from a hammock while watching the sun come sparkling through the trees is awesome!