PDA

View Full Version : First Look at the SMD Skyscape Trekker (w/ video)

STICK
07-09-2011, 13:38
Woohoo! My Trekker made it in Friday. It was supposed to be here Thursday, but the mail service made a little mistake and put it a day off... Anyway, it's all good now!

So, of course I did a little First Look write up as well as a video which starts with me opening the box it came shipped in to fully setting up the tent...

Check it out here if you are intrested:

First Look: SMD Skyscape Trekker (http://sticksblog.com/2011/07/09/first-look-six-moon-designs-skyscape-trekker/)

Wags
07-09-2011, 21:18
nice vid stick. i liked the approach of "i just got this, let's see how easily it goes up" :D

you definitely need to figure out that porch. as you said, you'll never have 2 sets of poles. perhaps you can guy it out to surrounding trees?

STICK
07-09-2011, 21:43
Wags,

I have set it up a couple more times today and I think that I have figured the porch out a little better. Ron Moak also commented and stated that the supplied cord with the porch is indeed meant to be cut in 2 and used as individual guy lines. So today I made individual guy lines for the porch using some of Lawson Klines Guywire. It does seem to work much better when there are 2 separate guy lines.

I did notice though that if I keep at least one of the panels on the opposite side of the tent staked out, the tension from this will help to keep the porch somewhat taut. However, if the porch is pitched and I unstake the opposite side and roll up the panels then there is quite a bit of sag in the porch.

And yes, if I do decide to carry the porch, then I will not carry extra poles, but instead try to pitch it in a manner that I can use trees or bushes to guy the porch out. What I do like about the porch though is that it does drape the top of the tent all around the perimeter, so if it is only a slight rain, the porch should keep any water from coming in around the edges of the porch where it is attached to the tent.

Now I just need to seam seal it...

WingedMonkey
07-09-2011, 21:48
In your video the "bathtub" floor doesn't seem to have much height. Is the view misleading? Have you tried it under rain or the water hose to see if there is much splash-back?

Raul Perez
07-09-2011, 21:50
Pretty cool.... for a tent :)

I was digging the music at the end

STICK
07-09-2011, 22:31
The height of the bathtub floor depends on how the tent is pitched. I say this because when I pitched the tent in the house last night I tied it off to the coffee table legs and the dining room table legs. When I tied it off it was actually about 2 inches off of the floor rather than "staked down to the ground." By doing this, the floor was raised way up all around the perimeter. A true bathtub floor. But it may be hard to simulate this in the field. So, I ma just throwing it out there. However, in comparison, it seems to function the same as the floor in my Lunar Duo.

Also, if you haven't already, you can check out Ron's thoughts on "Ultralight bathtub floors" on his site:

http://www.sixmoondesigns.com/blog/72-bathtub-floors.html

Raul,

For a tent, I think it is pretty awesome...

Also, I initially tried uploading the video to Youtube with some music by Project 86 but once it uploaded, Youtube disabled the music due to a copyright violation. But then they completely deleted the video because it was "too long". It was almost 18 minutes. So, I had to hack it up a little (almost 3 minutes off) and then change the music. But I still like me some Showdown...

Oh yeah, and no I have not taken a water hose to it yet. I did not chose to have it seam sealed but rather opted to do it myself. I can see through some of the holes in the ceiling from where it is sewn when pressure from the trekking poles is applied so I know that it will get wet inside.

skinewmexico
07-09-2011, 22:58
Project 86, been a while since I heard them. Went to the office and picked up my Skyscape Scout today. I'm still mad at Stick for posting that sale on here, I needed another solo tent like I needed a hole in my head.

STICK
07-09-2011, 23:50
Project 86, been a while since I heard them. Went to the office and picked up my Skyscape Scout today. I'm still mad at Stick for posting that sale on here, I needed another solo tent like I needed a hole in my head.

Haha...so how do you like the tent? :)

skinewmexico
07-10-2011, 00:00
Haven't set it up yet. Did a bike tour this morning, and I've just been too tired.

Wise Old Owl
07-10-2011, 10:40
Stick - great video and full of good information. - However a double wall tent is two layers of sill nylon, not a sil layer and screen. Think climbing a mountain like K2 - a single layer would not stop the wind. Just a FYI

Wags
07-10-2011, 11:04
wrong.

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/double_wall_tents_review_summary.html

FamilyGuy
07-10-2011, 12:31
Stick - great video and full of good information. - However a double wall tent is two layers of sill nylon, not a sil layer and screen. Think climbing a mountain like K2 - a single layer would not stop the wind. Just a FYI

Agree with Wags, the screen is still a wall and does a remarkable job at blocking wind.

I am not clear on your comparison to climbing K2 which has little relevance to whether a screen wall is a wall. Many expedition / 4 season shelters are single walled and are used on high altitude climbs. So realistically, whether a tent is single or double walled has little relevance to blocking wind.

STICK
07-10-2011, 14:01
I figured that even though it was a screened wall, it is still a wall. As far as I know, even tents such as the BA Seedhouse is considered a double walled tent, and the inner tent on it is pretty much all mesh. Although I do realize that since the panel over the foot of the Skyscape is indeed a single wall, then this tent is not truly a full double walled tent. But then again, it is sold as a hybrid double walled tent.

However, if I ever planned on doing anything like K2 I would probably want a tent that is a little more sturdier than the Skyscape. But for now, I don't plan on anything quite like that, and for my use I think that the Skyscape will be a great option.

10-K
07-10-2011, 14:14
I've mostly used single wall tents and the LH Solo cuben tent I have now is the first double wall tent I've used, though from what I see on this thread some wouldn't consider it a true double wall tent.

Wind resistance and what constitutes a double wall tent (or not) aside, the big thing a screen mesh does is help manage condensation.

I've been in some crazy strong windstorms in a single wall tent and felt pretty secure.

Wise Old Owl
07-11-2011, 23:17
Not really wrong, I can see that the definition has changed over time. Just fell into something like you Yanks say Stroller and the British say Pram.

The problem is that many so-called 'double-wall tents' are really single-wall tents (or tarps) with an inner bug net, for summer use. Often the poles on these attach to the inner tent with clips.

What others call a double-skin tent really does have two full skins and is designed for serious winter snow and storm use. The poles are sleeved into the fly, and the inner tent can be closed right up to keep out spindrift.

A lot of the confusion (imho) in this area comes from the same name being used for these two very different classes. Then you get some slightly odd intermediates, combinations or vestibules.

Yeah, I'm biased, but I would want something which can take serious weather in the winter in the snow, for a week on end.
Hense Mountaineer tents 4 season are two walls of material, no bug net needed in winter.

Here is an example: (check the smaller images and roll the mouse over the picture for zoom.)

http://gearx.com/black-diamond-squall-double-wall-tent-blem.html?feed=5_Base_38126

Franco
07-11-2011, 23:57
A double wall tent is just that : a tent with two walls.
Nothing to do with the inner or fly fabric and nothing to do with mountaineering either.
In fact there are many mountaineering tents that are single walls. Bibler, Black Diamond, Integral Design ,Sierra Design ,MSR ( and others ) all have alpine/mountaineering/expedition tents that are single wall.

Franco

FamilyGuy
07-12-2011, 00:57
Uhm...I'm Canadian. Although I really like the 'Yanks.'

Franco is spot on.

Wise Old Owl
07-12-2011, 10:59
Too funny, Hey I admit I am old school. I just don't see the fly as a "wall" because my first tent was an Andre Jamlet! I think that was 1969 and it was made of a duck like material with two walls.

And if you look at the Link the bomb proof Black Diamond is two walls.

The Solemates
07-12-2011, 12:26
stick - your website cracks me up. the engineer in me understands your obsession with documenting your obsession :)

we should go hiking sometime. seems we have a lot in common, and we're not too far away from one another.

4Bears
07-12-2011, 13:13
A nicw looking tent and nice vid Stick. What I see as wrong with the tent first off is the lack of a zipper on both sides which would be nice when a storm blows in during the night, then you would not have to get out to close the vestabule. This is a feature that most solos lack and would alow more flexiblity for the sacrifice of an ounce or two. IMHO

STICK
07-12-2011, 18:07
Solemates,

Sounds great. Just PM me when you get a trip planned and if I can make it I will let you know!

4Bears,

I do agree that it would be nice to be able to access the 2nd vestibule, but I am not necessarily complaining about it. I think that for those that are good with a sewing machine it would be a pretty painless mod to make, but of course it would void any type of warranty. I did ask Ron about this being an option but it is not.

As for the debate on double wall... I am perfectly happy using this tent in anything I will expect. However, if I ever planned on heading anywhere more hardcore than I normally go, I would probably want a tent with a little more support, regardless of the wall material.

Franco
07-12-2011, 21:06
WOO
"too funny"
I am glad that you have a sense of humour.

I had to look up your reference to the Andre Jamlet tent (of course it had nothing to do with Stick's comments ) and came across this gem from a previous thread :
"Awww I still have my Andre Jamlet.... And it still doesn't leak. Its weathered West Verginia ground floods. it's was purchased in 1972. "

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?50806-My-nearly-30-year-old-tent
Franco

stranger
07-13-2011, 03:56
The height of the bathtub floor depends on how the tent is pitched. I say this because when I pitched the tent in the house last night I tied it off to the coffee table legs and the dining room table legs. When I tied it off it was actually about 2 inches off of the floor rather than "staked down to the ground." By doing this, the floor was raised way up all around the perimeter. A true bathtub floor. But it may be hard to simulate this in the field. So, I ma just throwing it out there. However, in comparison, it seems to function the same as the floor in my Lunar Duo.

Also, if you haven't already, you can check out Ron's thoughts on "Ultralight bathtub floors" on his site:

http://www.sixmoondesigns.com/blog/72-bathtub-floors.html

Raul,

For a tent, I think it is pretty awesome...

Also, I initially tried uploading the video to Youtube with some music by Project 86 but once it uploaded, Youtube disabled the music due to a copyright violation. But then they completely deleted the video because it was "too long". It was almost 18 minutes. So, I had to hack it up a little (almost 3 minutes off) and then change the music. But I still like me some Showdown...

Oh yeah, and no I have not taken a water hose to it yet. I did not chose to have it seam sealed but rather opted to do it myself. I can see through some of the holes in the ceiling from where it is sewn when pressure from the trekking poles is applied so I know that it will get wet inside.

Bathtub floors help with the splashing effect more than anything else, this tent will take on water from splashing. I like the article's other points however.

STICK
07-13-2011, 17:15
Since I have not been able to use this tent in the rain, I cannot say that it will take on water. I see what you are saying, but I have found the Lunar Duo does not take on water from splashing in the rain, and this tent shares much the same design. But only time will tell...

10-K
07-14-2011, 07:36
A nicw looking tent and nice vid Stick. What I see as wrong with the tent first off is the lack of a zipper on both sides which would be nice when a storm blows in during the night, then you would not have to get out to close the vestabule. This is a feature that most solos lack and would alow more flexiblity for the sacrifice of an ounce or two. IMHO

When I ordered my LH Solo I requested a modification to add a zipper to the 2nd vestibule. Very handy indeed.

ronmoak
07-14-2011, 09:11
Clearly some people have a concern about the bathtub floors on the Skyscape. The height of our bathtub is the same as on our Lunar Solo, Lunar Duo, Serenity and Haven NetTents and on shelters we've produced in the past. Over the last ten years, we've sold 1000's of shelters with this kind of floor. To my knowledge, we've never had a single complaint that the bathtub floor was too shallow to be effective.

We could have higher bathtub floors. However, the height of our floors is dictated by the width of the fabric from which we cut the floor. All of our floors are made from a single piece of fabric. This eliminates any seams, both in the floor and along the edges were the bathtub starts. This also reduces the number of fabric panels needed to construct the shelter. Plus I personally like the esthetics of the design.

On the Skyscape models, the bathtub is approximately 3" deep around most of the perimeter. However, at the front of the tent it rises to 6". Also with the exception of the two points on the floor pinned down by the poles, the floor of the Skyscape floats. This allows it to rise and fall depending upon the height of the canopy. Six Moon Designs pioneered the use of floating floors in our shelters years ago. This type of floor minimizes stress on the floor, thus reducing the possibility of punctures.

We also believe that site location is key to getting the maximum benefit of your shelter. This is true for all tents and especially true for ultralight ones.

10-K
07-14-2011, 09:16
We also believe that site location is key to getting the maximum benefit of your shelter. This is true for all tents and especially true for ultralight ones.

That........

4Bears
07-14-2011, 18:57
When I ordered my LH Solo I requested a modification to add a zipper to the 2nd vestibule. Very handy indeed.

I am sure it is handy, not having access to the other vestibule is IMHO almost silly. Ron is correct site selection is paramount when sleeping in tents.

scissor
07-15-2011, 12:55
I am sure it is handy, not having access to the other vestibule is IMHO almost silly. Ron is correct site selection is paramount when sleeping in tents.

Just to make sure everyone is clear, it is accessible OUTSIDE the tent (via outside zipper). The other vestibule seems like plenty of room for everything for a lighter backpacker. I'd consider a zipper to the vestibule inside the tent an unnecessary and rarely needed luxury. Also... this is not your normal tent. Think about it like this... if there is no rain you have the vestibules pulled back. If there is a slight rain you can put up the porch and have tons of room (and also wouldn't want to reach across the whole tent). If its a downpour or if you had a dog it could come in handy but you could make due otherwise IMO.