PDA

View Full Version : Wilderness walking staff

hikerjohnd
02-06-2005, 12:21
http://members.shaw.ca/wwseb/define.htm

Has anyone seen or made a Wilderness Walking Staff? I'm not looking to make one, but would be interested to see a photo if anyone has one... my curiosity has been roused. I could not fathom carrying all that stuff on a pole!

orangebug
02-06-2005, 15:20
I've never seen one, but it looks like one of the basic ideas of survival hiking to have a compact kit available at all times for first aid and survival after getting lost or injured. I think that a thoughful person could manage to put enough of this material in a small container (bandaid or hard cigarette box) and wear it on a belt or necklace. Much of the material in the picture isn't particularly needed for survival (Pine clothing rods, roasting holes, etc.)

What is in your current survival/first aid kit that stays on your body 24/7?

NICKTHEGREEK
02-06-2005, 16:26
I guess it would work if you were hiking naked or didn't have any pockets.

The coolest survival kit I can remember seeing was a '50's era Navy kit for aviators. A lexan-like flask about 6"x8"x1" with a full width top that was held on with spring clips and a screw off cap on the top. Stuff I remember being inside was signal mirror, wrist compass, water purification tabs, some first aid stuff, water proof matches, chewing gum, fishing hooks and line, and a reference card. The reference card had an inventory of all the stuff and I remember it referring to amphetamines in the first aid kit. There was a morse code guide embossed on the outside of the flask. I still carry some parts from my 70's era Navy kit, the signal mirror, compass and wire saw.

c.coyle
02-06-2005, 16:28
Why chewing gum?

orangebug
02-06-2005, 17:09
Chewing gum can be low tech duct tape. I prefer duct tape.

Slaughter
02-06-2005, 18:08
Gah. How much would that thing weigh?

And I can't imagine why I would need to have a super-sharp pocketknife. In case my peanut butter freezes..? Does anyone actually carry a sharpening stone when they hike? :sun

weary
02-06-2005, 19:52

Has anyone seen or made a Wilderness Walking Staff? I'm not looking to make one, but would be interested to see a photo if anyone has one... my curiosity has been roused. I could not fathom carrying all that stuff on a pole!
Nor can I. I always carry a few allergy pills, a few bandaids, some cortisone cream, a little duct tape, a few aspirins -- and whatever medicines my doctor thinks useful (none at the moment.)

Anything more strikes me as useless weight. My "firstaid" kit never weighs more than 2 or 3 ounces.

Weary

Tha Wookie
02-06-2005, 21:37

Brilliant. Do they actually produce those? I'm still waiting for the helium-balloon backpack.

kncats
02-06-2005, 21:46
And I can't imagine why I would need to have a super-sharp pocketknife. In case my peanut butter freezes..? Does anyone actually carry a sharpening stone when they hike? :sun
I carry a sharpening stone. It weighs less than an ounce. A dull knife is wasted weight you're carrying if it won't cut.

hikerjohnd
02-06-2005, 21:56
Brilliant. Do they actually produce those? I'm still waiting for the helium-balloon backpack. It doesn't look like they manufacture the poles, but for $20 you can get an e-book with instructions. I clicked around and the praise came from scout leaders - maybe a merit badge project??? I still really want to see one - so long as I don't have to carry it!

grrickar
02-06-2005, 23:48
Swiss Army Staff? Somehow I think it would weight more than a half dozen Lekis...:jump

Miss Janet
02-07-2005, 00:18
A few years ago this guy had made these hiking "poles" out of pvc pipe. BIG pipe! If I remember right they had a 6 inch piece of 3" pipe with a screw in "lid"... these were for snacks, camera, guidebook, etc. This went on top conected to a short 2" piece for a handgrip. Then the handle was attached to a long section of 3" pipe with a screw in lid on the bottom. Inside these large chambers he put his tarp, clothes, food, etc. Fully loaded they weighed like 10 pounds each. His idea was to not carry a pack at all. He just tied a water bladder across his back. I wish I knew how far he hiked with this set up!

hikerjohnd
02-07-2005, 00:20
A few years ago this guy had made these hiking "poles" out of pvc pipe. BIG pipe! If I remember right they had a 6 inch piece of 3" pipe with a screw in "lid"... these were for snacks, camera, guidebook, etc. This went on top conected to a short 2" piece for a handgrip. Then the handle was attached to a long section of 3" pipe with a screw in lid on the bottom. Inside these large chambers he put his tarp, clothes, food, etc. Fully loaded they weighed like 10 pounds each. His idea was to not carry a pack at all. He just tied a water bladder across his back. I wish I knew how far he hiked with this set up!
Now that is a setup I want to see - whether he made it or not it certainly sounds inventive.

NICKTHEGREEK
02-07-2005, 11:09
Why chewing gum?Wish I knew for sure but maybe just for morale.