PDA

View Full Version : Bell's Palsy

simon
07-09-2011, 21:34
Hi, i'm interested if anyone has acquired Bell's Palsy due to Lyme's disease. My son has and i'd like to know from someone who has been through it how long it lasted and what treatments to cure it were used. Thanks!

HiKen2011
07-09-2011, 21:43
Hi, i'm interested if anyone has acquired Bell's Palsy due to Lyme's disease. My son has and i'd like to know from someone who has been through it how long it lasted and what treatments to cure it were used. Thanks!

A friend of mine had Bells Palsy, not sure what caused it though. She felt fine but it took around a month or more for it to completely go away. Hope this helps.

campingfever
07-10-2011, 00:01
I had Bells Palsy 12 years ago but it had nothing to do with Lyme disease. I was home talking to my wife and in about 5 minutes or less half my face became paralyzed. I found no effective treatment, not even steroids, which made me feel awful. On day 29 I began to have some movement in my eyelid and gradually over the next 3 days I returned to normal. I was 35 at the time. The older one is the longer it typically takes to recover and it is rare, though not impossible, for a person to have Bells Palsy twice.

Trailweaver
07-10-2011, 01:41
I've never heard it connected to Lyme disease, and wouldn't think it would be. I certainly hope you've been to a qualified professional for treatment. He/she would be the person to ask these questions of. I saw it both when I worked for an opthomologist and also in the ER. We would treat it by advising the person to make sure the eye was well lubricated (to keep it from drying out, as tears are not typically sufficiently produced) with eye ointment, and we always put a patch over the eye to keep it closed (again, to keep it from drying out). It does resolve on its own, anywhere from a month to two or three. There is nothing that can help it go along any faster. It's annoying, but if you take care of it, it will be O.K. in time.

Trailweaver
07-10-2011, 01:44
One more thing - it isn't safe to drive while wearing an eye patch, as you must have both eyes to measure depth perception. This means that you can very well rear-end someone before you realize that you are anywhere close to the car in front of you.

Trailweaver
07-10-2011, 01:46
One more thing - it isn't safe to drive while wearing an eye patch, as you must have both eyes to measure depth perception. This means that you can very well rear-end someone before you realize that you are anywhere close to the car in front of you.

Trailweaver
07-10-2011, 01:54

wcgornto
07-10-2011, 03:24
I have heard of Bell's Palsy associated with Lyme Disease. Some of the 2009 NOBOs who contracted Lyme Disease mentioned Bells Palsy as a symptom.

simon
07-10-2011, 06:39
CDC has it listed as a symptom of Lyme's. Doctors are treating my son with steriods and antibiotics. My question is if there is another drug or some one knows with experience knew how long it takes to get over Bell's.
http://www.cdc.gov/lyme/signs_symptoms/index.html

Jeff
07-10-2011, 08:12
Just in the last two weeks several AT thruhikers are being treated for Lyme's and have symptoms similar to Bell's Palsy. U-Lee is wearing an eye patch to make things a bit more comfortable. Never heard of the connection before this year.