PDA

View Full Version : Smokey Mtn. Steve

bailcor
02-06-2005, 12:23
Smokey Mtn Steve - Anyone out there that is wondering what happened to him. He is alive and well, raising and training dogs in Alaska. He is living in a 24 x 24 cabin with no electricity or running water and can see Denali in the distance. When I talked to him it was 8 degrees above zero, he said they were having a heat wave. There is a small town near by, but he doesn’t get in often. Seems he has to go in by ski-mobile or sled. Said he would try to sign in and say hi the next time he is in town. Sounded in great spirts and loving the life.

Skyline
02-06-2005, 12:47
Wow, that must be awesome as hell. Suddenly, I have Denali-envy.

It's especially brave of Smoky Mt Steve given his main health issue. Did he say how he's dealing with that, while living so remotely? Hopefully his continued good health is due to combination drug therapy ("cocktail") but as those of us who've lived with others dealing with the same thing know too well, at some point they often stop working and the race is on to find a new combination to take their place. Seems like the odds would be against you in the Alaska woods. Best wishes and prayers.

SGT Rock
02-06-2005, 13:09
So we have finally isolated Steve and minimized his impact on the rest of the world :D

Sucks to be him ;)

A-Train
02-06-2005, 13:44
Bring him back. 4 more posts!

Lone Wolf
02-06-2005, 13:46
Does he have access to good dope I wonder?

SGT Rock
02-06-2005, 14:15
He probably grows it himself using Griz scat as fertilizer

orangebug
02-06-2005, 14:59
I have absolutely no worry about Steve's ability to titrate his "cocktail" and make his environment work for him.

I didn't realize he is training dogs. I have a friend from Kennesaw, GA who has completed the Iditarod a few times, and his son has done the Jr. Itidarod. I bet he is going to find out what a small world it is.

Rain Man
02-06-2005, 15:19
I recently asked SMS for his recommendations on shelters along the AT in the GSMNP (for my April hike thru the Smokies). He responded promptly and fully and I was grateful for his experience.

I think he had limited time on a town library computer, if I recall.
:sun
Rain Man

bailcor
02-06-2005, 16:27
Smokey doesn’t seem to know how to work around things, he always goes through them. He has a great support team and they are getting him the necessary support he needs. He is working with a fellow that is a professional racer. Been in the Iditarod many times. He want’s Steve to take a team of young dogs and race in it; not to win but for training. Any one that knows Steve, knows he will work through it.

Lugnut
02-06-2005, 17:44
Yesterday on the news was a report about the Gov. of Alaska wanting to re-visit the lax marijuana laws. He feels they should be toughened up significantly. Maybe SMS will be back sooner than he had planned! :D

Skeemer
02-06-2005, 18:37
Sounded in great spirts and loving the life.

Not surprised...one of a few who seems to know what he wants and is comfortable with it.

Isn't the Iditarod televised on Wide World of Sports or ESPN...maybe we'll see him on TV.

smokymtnsteve
02-06-2005, 18:50
Wow, that must be awesome as hell. Suddenly, I have Denali-envy.

It's especially brave of Smoky Mt Steve given his main health issue. Did he say how he's dealing with that, while living so remotely? Hopefully his continued good health is due to combination drug therapy ("cocktail") but as those of us who've lived with others dealing with the same thing know too well, at some point they often stop working and the race is on to find a new combination to take their place. Seems like the odds would be against you in the Alaska woods. Best wishes and prayers.

I have a friend who is overnighting my meds to me by fed-ex to the Fairbanks airport, one of the medications cannot be exposed to frezzing so I have built a well insulated shipping container,,,so once a month I head into fairbanks to meet the Fedex plane, my most recent shipment was last
last Thursday when the temp was -43 in Fairbanks...my shipping container worked,

there is a University hospital in Fairbanks that can supply all nescessary testing that I require, but right now I still get my testing done in Atlanta, GA. as I am very stable and adherent to my medication regimen I only need testing every 3-4 months, actually living in the isoalted Bush of Ak reduces my infectious risks,,, as colds and flus are spread by casual contact in public places, my risk of 'catching' some bug is lessened by beng in the isolated back country.

Having had HIV know for well over 20 years, I am NOT going to let it run my life.

sooner or later something is going to happen to us all to end our existance on this planet, so all any of us can do is to live life to it's fullest and try to experince all our dreams before that time comes.

LIVE FREE OR DIE!

smokymtnsteve
02-06-2005, 18:58
Yesterday on the news was a report about the Gov. of Alaska wanting to re-visit the lax marijuana laws. He feels they should be toughened up significantly. Maybe SMS will be back sooner than he had planned! :D

BRING IT ON!!!

I'm always game for a good political fight,,,

this last election cycle in AK propositon #2 on the ballot attempted to totally legalize cannabis in AK, 43% voted in favor of total legalization ,

so the Gov. better be careful he will have an uphill battle.

Med MJ is already legal in the state of AK.

saimyoji
03-16-2006, 00:25
Layin' low? Hope all is well....Noticed the Iditarod finished today....How'd you fare?

Dances with Mice
03-16-2006, 10:17
Layin' low? Hope all is well....Noticed the Iditarod finished today....How'd you fare?If he still wrangles pups for the same outfit his musher finished 4th in the Quest but didn't run the Iditarod. One musher ran both the Yukon & the Iditarod, winning the Quest and finishing near the top of the Iditarod.

The Iditarod just isn't the same without Charlie Boulding, he and Steve would really have gotten along well.http://www.cabelasiditarod.com/mushers/bouldingc.html

sdoownek
03-23-2006, 13:17
there is a University hospital in Fairbanks that can supply all nescessary testing that I require

There's not a university based hospital in Fairbanks.
Assuming that you're not Native, the only healthcare available is:

The clinic on 23rd and the Mitchell.
The clinic on Cushman and 10th
Fairbanks Memorial Hospital, on Cowles.

There's nothing other than student health at the University.

actually living in the isoalted Bush of Ak reduces my infectious risks

There's a two lane, paved, well traveled, giant road that bisects Two Rivers. While the majority of the people that live there are very, very odd, it's not quite what I'd call isolated or "the bush". Just because you choose to live with and behave like a dog doesn't make your home in "the bush"

Alligator
03-23-2006, 14:11
SMS has been MIA of late, but perhaps this will do.

"The dog's life is a good life, for the dog." Edward Abbey

neo
03-23-2006, 14:39
There's not a university based hospital in Fairbanks.
Assuming that you're not Native, the only healthcare available is:

The clinic on 23rd and the Mitchell.
The clinic on Cushman and 10th
Fairbanks Memorial Hospital, on Cowles.

There's nothing other than student health at the University.

There's a two lane, paved, well traveled, giant road that bisects Two Rivers. While the majority of the people that live there are very, very odd, it's not quite what I'd call isolated or "the bush". Just because you choose to live with and behave like a dog doesn't make your home in "the bush"

:D this guy gives me a hard time to lol:cool: neo

sdoownek
03-23-2006, 14:48
:D this guy gives me a hard time to lol:cool: neo

Yeah, but you're just an idiot.
Steve's a flat out liar.

Slight difference.

neo
03-23-2006, 14:50
Yeah, but you're just an idiot.
Steve's a flat out liar.

Slight difference.

:D your so cool,i wanna be like you,if i ever grow up:cool: neo

sdoownek
03-23-2006, 14:55
Cool. The ignore function does indeed work.

neo
03-23-2006, 15:00
Cool. The ignore function does indeed work.

:D really:cool: neo