PDA

View Full Version : I need help planning a trip to the Whites

flagator
07-10-2011, 17:59
Hey all. I am trying to hike the AT through the whites this August. I need help in a number of aspects.
First, how to get there. From my understanding most transportation options are available if I were to fly into Boston. But from there I am having trouble about how to lay out the trip. I have 2 weeks off for work, and want to the hit the trail as quickly as possible to cover as much ground as I can. I want to do the Whites and whatever else I have time for. In GA/NC/TN I usually cover 16-20+ miles a day no problem at all, I dont know how that translate to NH as I hear it is more challenging, But i basically I'm hoping to cover 150 miles+ To most effectively where would I get a bus to, and at the end of my hike how could I get back to boston, or should I use a different airport for the flight home? Someone kindly posted a link for the NH bu service in the White mountains http://www.outdoors.org/lodging/lodging-shuttle.cfm , perhaps someone would have some tips on how to utilize it to my advantage as well as far as resupply opportunities and/or a day off at a hostel/hotel. Any help at all is much appreciated. Thanks!

k2basecamp
07-10-2011, 18:31
Bus from boston to pinkham notch amc center also bus to hanover . Go either nobo or soboI woul plan on 15 mile days. Unless you are rich and know your schedule i'd avoid the huts.Just my opinion hyoh. Planning is half the fun.

Sly
07-10-2011, 18:43
There's a bus from Boston to Gorham. One of the hiker hostels can get you to the trail. Hike south as far as you're capable and take the AMC shuttle back. If you make it past Lincoln (95-110 mi.), you can probably get the folks at Hikers Welcome Hostel in Glencliff (120 mi.) to shuttle you. If you happen to make it as far as Hanover (144 mi.), you can get the bus from there to Boston.

Don't be surprised if you can't make it past Lincoln in your allotted time.

WingedMonkey
07-10-2011, 18:59
There's a bus from Boston to Gorham. One of the hiker hostels can get you to the trail. Hike south as far as you're capable and take the AMC shuttle back. If you make it past Lincoln (95-110 mi.), you can probably get the folks at Hikers Welcome Hostel in Glencliff (120 mi.) to shuttle you. If you happen to make it as far as Hanover (144 mi.), you can get the bus from there to Boston.

Don't be surprised if you can't make it past Lincoln in your allotted time.

FYI: Concord Coach Lines is connecting with the ATC shuttle this summer at North Conway and at Lincoln bust stops

WingedMonkey
07-10-2011, 19:00
Or bus stops too. :sun

WingedMonkey
07-10-2011, 19:02
Ok I had enough typos for today....AMC shuttels.

Sly
07-10-2011, 19:09
FYI: Concord Coach Lines is connecting with the ATC shuttle this summer at North Conway and at Lincoln bust stops

OK, he most likely be able to return on the Lincoln, or Hanover bus

Sly
07-10-2011, 19:20
Here's the Gorham bus route...

Gorham, Pinkam Notch, Jackson, North Conway, Conway, West Ossipee, Moultonborough, Center Harbor, Meredith, New Hampton, Tilton, Concord, Manchester, North Londonderry, and Salem, NH to Logan.

Lincoln is on a different route..

Lincoln, Tilton, Concord, Manchester, North Londonderry, and Salem, NH to Logan

rickb
07-10-2011, 19:44
Have you checked out Southwest flights to Manchester, NH?

flagator
07-10-2011, 19:57
Yes, Rich I have in fact. But for some reason in previous threads people seemed to point people in the direction of Boston. I will actually be using southwest regardless of where I fly into, so maybe Manchester would be fitting. If I want to hike the whole AT in NH, and were to fly into Manchester, who would I contact to shuttle myself AT to the NH/VT (Connecticut River area).

flagator
07-10-2011, 19:58
Excuse me, Rick I meant to say.

johnnybgood
07-10-2011, 19:58
Have you checked out Southwest flights to Manchester, NH?
+ 1 . Book flight thru priceline. Bus from Manchester to Gorham.

peakbagger
07-11-2011, 07:32
The same bus that comes to Gorham from Boston stops at the Manchester airport. Once in Gorham, there are a couple of ways of getting on the trail. You can walk from the Irving Station over to the Carter Moriah trail (Old AT) and intersect the AT at the top of Moriah. Or easy hitch to Shelburne Rattle River trail or hitch down North Road in Shelburne to Austin Brook Trail up to Gentian Pond. Of the three, Austin Brook Trail to Gentian Pond and south on the AT is the least abrupt introduction to hiking in the whites. The other two are fairly steep climbs, think Blood Mountain with three times the elevation and a number of boulder climbs thrown in for good measure. From there on most days involve some significant elevations gains and losses and the trails in the whites rarely include switchbacks. Realistically 10 to 12 miles a day may be a good initial goal. The AMC formula is an average of 2 miles an hour with 1/2 hour thrown in for every 1000 feet of elevation.

I am not sure of the bus routing from Hanover, I think it would be a stretch given your timing. Using Lincoln as your end point, you reasonably can get off the trail early at Franconia Notch, or a few days past is Kinsmans Notch and even going over Moosilaukee over to Glencliff, is probably not a a unreasonable hitch back into Lincoln.

Sly
07-11-2011, 08:08
If you fly into Manchester there's a good chance you'll be laying over in Boston anyway. I think Jet Blue flies from Jax to Lebanon. If I were in half way decent shape, which it seems like you are, I'd go south. That way if you do come up short, you've done the best of NH.

flagator
07-18-2011, 19:44
Thank you for the supplies, all very helpful. I have purchased my airline tickets and will be fling into Manchester. I am going to use either greyhound or concord lines to get me up to Gorham. However, I wont be getting in until atleast 8:30 pm. I didnt want to bother staying in a hotel/hostel my first night, I might just get some kind of a ride to a trailhead and stealth camp for the evening or night hike depending on how we feel. My first of followup questions deal with how to get fuel canister, I know I cant fly with one, even if I check it, right? So, do any of the huts supply fuel, anyone know? When I land in Manchester, I have several hours till a bus would leave en route to Gorham. Perhaps there is some sort of an outfitter that would have one. Anyone have any ideas?

flagator
07-18-2011, 19:45
replies* I guess my mind was on resupplying haha.

hikerboy57
07-18-2011, 19:58
Thers a hostel, Hikers paradise right across from the bus stop in Gorham, where you can stay, and buy your fuel in the morning, theres a couple of outfitters in town.Or you can get off at Pinkham Notch instead(one stop before gorham). You should be able to get canisters there until 9pm. You might find someonee who can drop you off at a trailhead.

Migrating Bird
07-18-2011, 21:18
White Birches Campground/Hostel in Shelburne is located a couple of miles east of Gorham and about a mile and a half west of the AT where it crosses RT 2. Last year they shuttled me to/from town and also there was a guy named Bruce staying there that did longer shuttles. Starting SOBO from Rt 2 can be done very late in the day as it is a gentle grade up the Rattle River to the RR shelter. You can save on food by getting some at the huts.

If you really want to experience the Whites try starting in Grafton Notch S.P. (via Bruce) and hike Old Speck, and Mahoosuc Notch. You could still make it to Franconia Notch in 2 weeks. Be prepared for temps as low as the low 30's or even the upper 20's with wind, rain, sleet, snow and maybe some sun in between.

I hiked 8-12 miles per day with my longest of 15 from Pinkhams Notch up over Madison & Washington to lake of the clouds hut. If staying at huts get reservations ahead of time.

Have a great hike.

Slo-go'en
07-19-2011, 09:30
Ya should have flown to Boston. From Logan, you can get on a bus and go directly to Gorham from the terminal. From Manchester, it looks like a nightmare to make the required connections, as there is no direct route from the airport. In fact, you need to somehow get from the airport to downtown Manchester and then go to Concord to connect with the Berlin bus, and they don't even make that connection easy.

When you get to Gorham, its will be starting to get dark, your going to be beat from all that traveling and hungry. You better figure on staying at one of the motels - there are pleanty to choose from.

flagator
07-19-2011, 12:22
Ya should have flown to Boston. From Logan, you can get on a bus and go directly to Gorham from the terminal. From Manchester, it looks like a nightmare to make the required connections, as there is no direct route from the airport. In fact, you need to somehow get from the airport to downtown Manchester and then go to Concord to connect with the Berlin bus, and they don't even make that connection easy.

When you get to Gorham, its will be starting to get dark, your going to be beat from all that traveling and hungry. You better figure on staying at one of the motels - there are pleanty to choose from.
Yeah, like I was referring to earlier in the thread, I knew there was some reason why people had been urging people to use Boston. I did some research and Boston goes to Gorham usually 3 times per day, one of those being a direct route where you wouldnt have to change buses. Anyway I think I will be using greyhound as they actually have a stop at the Manchester airport.
I understand its going to start getting dark when I get in, I just cant resist the temptation to get some kind of a start. I want to do as much mileage as possible, and the whites seems way more complicated to hike as far as camping regulations go. I think I can deal with not having a canister for the first day or two. Maybe once I cross the trail at Pinkham notch I can just grab a canister at the outfitter, how close is it to the trail?

Slo-go'en
07-19-2011, 15:18
There is only ONE bus to Gorham a day and that is on the Concord Trailsway. Grayhound might have a bus from Manchester, but it doesn't come up this way. Maybe back to Boston ?

I suppose you could get to the Rattle river shelter - its only about 2 miles on reasonably flat trail (but 2.5 miles out of town and not an easy hitch as it gets dark). You might be able to get a canister at Pinkham, but the only outfitter is in Gorham (Gorham hardware) or down in North Conway, 30 miles to the south.

I sure hope you have researched where you can camp or made approperate reservations at the AMC huts. This is one very difficult section to thru-hike because of the serious restrictions on where you can and can not camp. That is one reason this part of the NH is the only section of the AT I have not thru-hiked, despite the fact it is my back yard and I have done the rest of the AT 2 or more times. I suppose I should just break down and spend the big bucks on a hut to hut thru-hike as a tourist and get it over with.

flagator
07-19-2011, 15:43
Slo-go'en, thanks for your response. I think we are misunderstanding eachother somewhere, greyhound has tickets on sale from their own website that come from manchester airport and pull directly into the irving gas station in gorham. I'm starting to get frustrated with how complicated the camping restrictions are and the price of the huts, I mean I like to leave camp at 6-7 latest, to get my breakfast and dinner I would have to be breaking my normal routine bigtime. I think Im going to just greyhound over to hanover, jump right onto the trail, grab my canisters at the post office on the way.

Slo-go'en
07-19-2011, 17:21
Okay, I see now, there is a greyhound from the airport to Concord, where you transfer for the Berlin bus. But it only happens once a day at 2:40 pm from the airport. Good to know.

Going north from Hanover would be a little easier to avoid huts, at least for a while. The leg from Crawford to Pinkham is the real difficult one to get by. It is fustrating.

Kerosene
07-20-2011, 09:44
Remember that a schedule is just a plan; a lot of buses arrive late. I'd encourage you to spend your first night at a hostel, either in Gorham or Pinkham Notch, and pickup your canister the next morning. If you let the hostel owner know you're coming then they might even be able to pick-up your canister for you so you can focus on getting to the trailhead the next morning.
FYI, although I'm twice your age, I was able to crank out 16-25 milers down south. Through the Whites, between Moosilaukee and Pinkham Notch, my daily mileage dropped to 10-15 mpd. Some of that was due to limited daylight in mid-September, but there are very few stretches where you can lapse into a hiking "rhythm" given all of the rocks and roots that force you to break stride. My hourly pace dropped from my typical 2.2-2.8 mph rate down south to 1.0-2.0 mph! The only exceptions where the sections from Lonesome Lake to Franconia Notch, and Zealand Hut to Crawford Notch, where my pent-up striding pushed me to 3 mph for a few hours.