PDA

View Full Version : WhiteBlaze gathering at 2005 Trail Days?

hikerjohnd
02-06-2005, 13:35
Is there a plan for a WB gathering at Trail Days this year? Saw the poll for last years event... Just curious - would like to meet some of you in person... and I definitly will be at Trail Days!

SGT Rock
02-06-2005, 13:38
Well I plan to try and make it. Army business comes first. I think the plan is to try and hook up with Ms Janet and FishinFred so we all don't get stuck in a booth the entire time. I think it would be cool, Dots was a little crowded last year and the booths sort of ended up segregating folks to little groups instead of a larger group get together.

The Scribe
02-06-2005, 15:25
I have the time off reserved to make the trip. I have had one coversation with Attroll about going with me (we live about 40 minutes apart). His job is wicked to get time off from but last night i proposed that if he get one day off (the Friday) then we could do it as he works second shift. Haven't heard back from him on that as yet.

I would love to be there. Would rather not drive down alone (but I know I wouldn't be alone once I got there).

Hopefully Rick and I can make the trip.

PCM

MadAussieInLondon
02-06-2005, 18:28
i plan on being there! id love to meet you all (i didnt get the chance last year)...

maybe this could be made a sticky topic for a while and all details published in one thread?

fishinfred
02-07-2005, 11:10
Yes there will be a set up at Trail Days for Whiteblazers to get together and hang out & meet friends ,just look for the Banner come and sign in and get a free WB window sticker and Trail Days 05 sticker(while they last)... Plus ATTROLL is sending a bunch of WB "stuff",T-shirts,patches,Bumper stickers unless he can sneak away and bring them himself.....Also Miss Janet & I will have some cool "Stuff" too .Look forward to meeting you all there and on the Trail on the way .........
http://fredor111.tripod.com/4403dae0.jpg
(note: just made this up last night and still needs Trees and hikers....)
We will be sending the register to ATTROLL and he will be posting it too!
FF

Footslogger
02-07-2005, 12:17
Any hint as to where you plan on hanging that poster ?? We're flying back east and hiking from Kincora to Damascus. Have met some of ya'll but would like to put a face on many more.

'Slogger
AT 2003

attroll
02-07-2005, 12:23
wbdent Thank you for making the poster Fred. I am trying my best to make it but it is not looking good at all.

MOWGLI
02-07-2005, 12:57
I'll be there all weekend atthe American Hiking Society booth/display. Feel free to stop by and say hello. I'd be happy to keep a notebook/register at the booth for people from WB to leave messages for one another.

FYI - I'll also be giving 2 presentations at Trail Days. One on Friday about the program that I run (creating a 5,000-mile trail network in the SE) and one on Saturday about becoming a trail volunteer. Hope some of you can stop by and say hello.

fishinfred
02-07-2005, 13:04
Well ,right now it looks like we will be hangin the Banner and setting something up in the campground area....I'm still waiting on more info from a friend who lives in town and attends the town meetings to get more details(Lone Wolf may be able to help out here too) .It would be nice to set up in the town park but the cost was a bit steep last year ($250) and I can't afford anything like that (nor can Whiteblaze) so the campground is looking like the place to be as we may be able to set up "Stealth like" :cool: (shhhhh) and not have to pay that ridiculous fee.......if we do have to pay we may try and hook up with Mount Rogers Outfitters (last I heard they were going to have a used equip.tent set up?) and others to try and cut the costs....will post more as I find out ...

So who's all coming ? Should be a great turnout this year !:clap
FF

Footslogger
02-07-2005, 13:15
Well ,right now it looks like we will be hangin the Banner and setting something up in the campground area
FF
==============================
Thanks for the heads-up FinishFred.

Guess we could start a sub-thread here with a sign-up list for Trail Days.

'Slogger

peter_pan
02-07-2005, 13:35
The Jacks of Jacks 'R' Better Quilts and Hiking Gear will also be there again. We are coughing up the $ for a vender booth so there will be a Whiteblaze rally point .... :welcome ... in the vendor area again.

Attroll, we volunteer to display and sell the WB shirts again, if you like.

Jaybird
02-07-2005, 13:58
Is there a plan for a WB gathering at Trail Days this year? Saw the poll for last years event... Just curious - would like to meet some of you in person... and I definitly will be at Trail Days!

i will be there in SPIRIT ONLY....i'll be hiking NORTH of DAMASCUS beginning the week before TRAIL DAYS events...

throw back a "cold one" fer me! :D

section hikin' Apr 28-May 5 (w/ "the Model T crew")Hot Springs to Erwin
May 6 & 7 Carvers Gap to Erwin
May 8 - 20 (NOBO) Damascus to Pearisburg, VA

see ya'll out there! :D

Lugnut
02-07-2005, 14:28
[QUOTE=fishinfred]Well ,right now it looks like we will be hangin the Banner and setting something up in the campground area....I'm still waiting on more info from a friend who lives in town and attends the town meetings to get more details(Lone Wolf may be able to help out here too) .It would be nice to set up in the town park but the cost was a bit steep last year ($250) and I can't afford anything like that (nor can Whiteblaze)

I'll pitch in $25 towards a site at the park. Are there 9 other people out there who will jump in? Would that work Fred?

fishinfred
02-07-2005, 16:11
Great offer! Thank you Lugnut but it won't be necessary as I've just got off the phone with Jeff at MRO (Mount Rogers Outfitters) and he is donating a spot for us on their property right on the main drag in town next to the store .I think that was really great of them to do that ! It will be a perfect spot with "FREE" food right accross the street from the local scout troop,restrooms and water available too....best of all FREE from MRO...Thanks Jeff!!!!!! This should work out great for everyone .Now all we need are a few Whiteblazers who can help out so no one has to sit around all weekend (just a couple hrs here and there) if anyones interested just come on by and offer at the set up .MRO will also have a selection of used gear to sell CHEAP so for those in need it will be the place to be .SUPER NICE!:clap
See you there!
FF

SGT Rock
02-07-2005, 16:16
Sweet. I know the spot. Hopefully I can work it out to be there. You can count on me to do more than my fair share if I do.

Jack Tarlin
02-07-2005, 20:30
I think the idea of a Whiteblaze get-together at Trail Days is a great idea, and I hope I'm around for it, if I'm not out West.

Second thought: Every year Bob Peoples (from Kincora Hostel) and his friends at the Tennessee Eastman Hiking Club sponsor a two-day Trail work project called "Damascus Hardcore." This is held in the days immediately after Trail Days. Last year, there were several Whiteblazers present for some or part of the Hardcore project. I hope many of you that plan to attend Trail Days can manage to add an extra day or two to your travelling itinerary, and take part in this year's work. I think it'd be great if we could get a good showing of Whiteblaze folks this year: In addition to all of us getting together in Damascus itself, it'd be a great way for some of us to get together and actually do something worthwhile, like helping Bob and his group.

More information about Bob's trail-work plans for this year, including a sign-up list for the Hardcore project, will be available at the ATC booth/table in Damascus.

Big Guy
02-07-2005, 22:33
I go every year on Saturday. Hope to see some of you there. I'll stop by the spot at MRO and anyplace I see a white blaze display and say hello.. Hope to see some of you soon.

fishinfred
02-09-2005, 10:39
Thanks for that important info Jack! One of the reasons I'm starting early is so I'll be able to participate with the Hard Core bunch after Trail Days and I'm sure there are others along the way who could use the help and support.If you or anyone else knows of any other Work Crew Gatherings that are going to be happening this year along the trail please post them (dates and whereabouts) so all who are interested in putting the time in will know ahead of time and can plan on helping out.That would be great!
See ya out there !
FF

SGT Rock
02-09-2005, 12:11
I hope to make it to Hardcore again after Trail Days.Great bunch of people there, but this time I want to get there and get my hooch set up before I get too exausted to do it.

Maybe I'll bring some stove tools and fix up some hikers again.

VAMTNHIKER
02-09-2005, 12:36
Putting it on my calendar... more than willing to "work" the Whiteblaze table!

Regards,

Steve

stickman
02-09-2005, 22:06
Please remind me, whats the date?

Stickman

A-Train
02-09-2005, 22:45
I believe its the 12th-15th of May.

If I go down I'll definately be at the WB gathering site this time. Got kind of side-tracked with reunions last year and regretted not making it to Dot's. Would love to meet Rock and some of you others and see some old faces that I missed last time.

And I'd LOVE to do Hardcore this yr, a must if I go to TD's. The list was full when I went to sign up with 70 odd hikers on there. Not that anyone woulda have kicked me out if I showed up but it did appear "full". I'll be putting my name down early next time.

wacocelt
02-09-2005, 23:53
If Tripp and I can hitch back to Damascus from wherever North we happen to be at that point then I'll happily volunteer a few hours at the WB area(if you'll have me that is).
She and I are restarting my hike from Erwin early March instead of Neels Gap as perviously planned, so even hiking slow would put us atleast 500 miles North of TDays.
We shall see.

Flash Hand
02-12-2005, 03:07
FF

Count me in! Am looking forward to meet you, Rick (ATTroll) and other whiteblaze members. Scott Rogers, "One Leg" will be there too. All I hope I am able to reach Damascus on time for Trail Days from Springer. I will summit the Springer on first weekend of April.

Flash Hand :jump

Flash Hand
02-12-2005, 03:10
Count me in! Am looking forward to meet you, Rick (ATTroll) and other whiteblaze members. Scott Rogers, "One Leg" will be there too. All I hope I am able to reach Damascus on time for Trail Days from Springer. I will summit the Springer on first weekend of April.

Oops.. but only if Rick plan of going to Damascus. The first thing I will do is to give him a high five for his job well done on this website.

ffstenger
02-12-2005, 05:25
I would like to make it to Trail Days but I didn't see what the dates are ??
Being from the midwest.. I've never been before, but my section hike will
end in Damascus this fall. It would be a great opportunity for me to see
the area and meet some of y'all. Clue me in.. Thanks, "Showme":o

ffstenger
02-12-2005, 05:34
I would like to make it to Trail Days but I didn't see what the dates are ??
Being from the midwest.. I've never been before, but my section hike will
end in Damascus this fall. It would be a great opportunity for me to see
the area and meet some of y'all. Clue me in.. Thanks, "Showme":o
I guess I should read all the pages before I ask..... Showme