PDA

View Full Version : Tips in General

BLively
07-10-2011, 18:53
I am a 16 year old going to be a junior in high school. I am planning to do the AT right after graduation in 2013. My first question is if I start in late May will I be able to finish, or will I risk hiking after they close the ending in Maine? I am planning to take a gap year so I'm not worried about being back in time for school. I guess my other option is to hike southbound. I also would like to know what I can be gathering or doing to prepare for it this far out. I have one uncle that was halfway thru a thru-hike when his brother died so he pulled off, an uncle that is a national park ranger, and another is avid camper. I'm going out to dinner with these three in a week or so, are there any specific things I should ask them about? Any tips from you guys would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

emerald
07-10-2011, 19:13
http://www.appalachiantrail.org

You will find much helpful information there. I recommend especially the publication entitled Step by Step.

Your plan to start in late May should be doable if you keep your pack light, keep track of your progress and accept there won't be an abundance of time for lounging around in camp or town.

You would need to average about 20 miles per day which is more than many people care to hike.

Lone Wolf
07-10-2011, 19:49
I am a 16 year old going to be a junior in high school. I am planning to do the AT right after graduation in 2013. My first question is if I start in late May will I be able to finish, or will I risk hiking after they close the ending in Maine? I am planning to take a gap year so I'm not worried about being back in time for school. I guess my other option is to hike southbound. I also would like to know what I can be gathering or doing to prepare for it this far out. I have one uncle that was halfway thru a thru-hike when his brother died so he pulled off, an uncle that is a national park ranger, and another is avid camper. I'm going out to dinner with these three in a week or so, are there any specific things I should ask them about? Any tips from you guys would be greatly appreciated.

Thanksi highly recommend going southbound starting around july 1st

wcgornto
07-10-2011, 19:52
i highly recommend going southbound starting around july 1st

I agree with this. If you can't start NOBO by mid-April and you have no time limits forcing a May start, you should definitely go SOBO.

Country Roads
07-10-2011, 20:07
Southbound would probably work best for you. If continuity is not as important, you could start at Harpers Ferry and go north; then come back to Harpers Ferry and go south.

fiddlehead
07-10-2011, 20:12
SOBO sounds like your best option.
I've hiked NOBO starting May 9th and it is hot, and you tend to hike with the folks who have decided to just have fun rather than continue their goal of finishing. There are lots of them and they may suck you in.
You ask about training? If you can't go out and just hike, then use a step machine at a gym or fitness place. The muscles you are building on a step machine are the muscles that you need for a hike, especially the first 300 miles of a SOBO hike.
Good luck and have fun.

njordan2
07-10-2011, 20:16
Starting in late May 2013 with little or no experience would require about 5 and a half months to complete averaging around 100 miles a week. That would put you in Maine in the begining to middle of November. It can be pretty cold then and some of the areas of the park have a significant amount of snow. After the 15th of October, some of the parks only allow hikers to go into them at the park ranger's discretion, so this can hold you up a few days.

Most of the high school graduates seem to enjoy starting in the south at Amacalola. There is a very festive atmosphere among young hikers there and you can hook up with some kindred souls. You won't find many of the old farts that lurk this board and criticize young hikers if you start in the south with everyone else.

With that said, here are some tips for starting the actual hike. Do the hike from Amacalola to Springer shelter. It is a brutal 8 miles and you will be glad you did it. Count on 5-8 miles a day from there to Neels gap. This will let you have 1 week to get to Neels gap. Stay at Neels gap and resupply.
Week 2, try to average 10 miles a day. Week 3, mix in a couple or so 15 mile days. Week 4 try to do a 20 miler. If you survive to end of week 4, you can start laying down 100+ miles per week. Starting late you may not make it all the way, 2100 miles, to Katahdin in Maine, but you can get over 1500 miles done.

Bring a 30 degree synthetic bag. Slumber jack made the one I use.
Bring a tent.
Bring a rain jacket and rain pants.
Bring a water bag and if you drink out of it or a bottle, have the ability to hold around 5 liters of water. This lets you draw enough water in the evening, fill everything up, have enough for dinner, breakfast and to set out with 3 liters in the morning.
Start with using dehydrated food. Mountain house is great. Lypton sides are good and so are ramen noodles.
Take a multivitamin each day. Buy the big kind, like Centrum, so you can cut it in half. Take half in the morning and half at lunch, so you do not sweat it all out by mid day.
UNDERARMOUR. BOXER BRIEFS. THESE ARE A MUST. You will not get chafed wearing them. Two pairs in the pack and wear one pair.
Cargo pants
Synthetic shirt. Underarmour is great.
FOXRIVER SOCKS. Smart wool are good too.
2 rolls of athletic tape and gauze pads for blisters on your feet.
Well fitting hiking boots. The best I have found are Asolo Fugitives. I have never heard complaints about them.
TREKKING POLES. No point in not using them. If you do not like them, (but you will), you can always lose them later.
Map of the area you will be going through.
Compass
Watch
Cell phone
A good mind set. A level head that stays cool. A tolerance of other people.
A stove to cook with. The pressurized gas kind are the most reliable. The pocket rocket is hard to beat.
Baby wipes. Use 2 a day. One on your hands and one in the intended area. This can prevent infection at least a couple of ways.
A little pack stool. It is nice to sit up off the ground.

This list contains what I consider to be the "controversial items". Things that many others on this board tend to sound down right angry about when others say they use them. (gas stoves, tents, rain gear, trekking poles, etc...)

Train hard. Run, swim, step machine type of stuff. Upper body workout is needed too; bench press, push ups and sit ups. After all, that is what everything is strapped to.

Happy Trails!

Silverstone
07-10-2011, 20:46
... Good advice from njordan2. And don't listen to the gram-weenies that are sure to chime in and rip that post. They're as joyless as vegans at a BBQ. If your pack is too heavy, you'll know it soon enough.

lemon b
07-20-2011, 08:29
I'm of the school that the only way to get into shape for hiking over mountains is to hike over mountains. Do as much as time allows to get into shape. Go for it!!