PDA

View Full Version : 100 mile wilderness November 1st?

1azarus
07-11-2011, 08:51
..I have from October 28th to November 3rd to hike (...wife away...) and wondered how crazy it would be to hike from Abol bridge to Monson at that time of year. All of my winter camping has been NY state and south, and while some of it has been fairly intense, well, it hasn't been Maine! Not worried about the miles, just wondering about the weather conditions and stream crossings. I could go hike in VA, but since I have more miles of Maine left to walk, I'd rather go there. What do you think?

weary
07-11-2011, 10:41
..I have from October 28th to November 3rd to hike (...wife away...) and wondered how crazy it would be to hike from Abol bridge to Monson at that time of year. All of my winter camping has been NY state and south, and while some of it has been fairly intense, well, it hasn't been Maine! Not worried about the miles, just wondering about the weather conditions and stream crossings. I could go hike in VA, but since I have more miles of Maine left to walk, I'd rather go there. What do you think?
It could be just a pleasant late fall walk in the woods and hills. Or you could run into major storms. I'd check the weather forecasts as the date approaches. Fall rains will raise water levels, making streams more difficult, but only rarely impossible. Carry maps and plan some extra time for finding safe crossings. But the 100 miles are easily doable most years in late October, early November.

10-K
07-11-2011, 12:16
Well, considering you suggested I hike through New York in a big blizzard (which, silly me, I did....) I think it's only fair that I suggest you go for it. :)

You know I'm just pulling your leg but it is something I'll never forget it! :) :)

Jim Adams
07-11-2011, 12:51
I've been in Canada on canoe trips that same time period and just a little further north and the temps that I've seen are night time lows of 30*F and daytime highs around 60*-70*F. Did have a day of cold rain and also a half day of snow but no accumulation and good weather again the next day. Seems like the coldness doesn't last real long besides, I've also been snowed on there on August 19 one year. If you winter hike in NY, you should have no problems with the 100 mile Wilderness.

geek

1azarus
07-11-2011, 14:40
Well, considering you suggested I hike through New York in a big blizzard (which, silly me, I did....) I think it's only fair that I suggest you go for it. :)

You know I'm just pulling your leg but it is something I'll never forget it! :) :)

And 10K knows what winter in NY can be like (oouch)! I'm inclined to plan, like 90%, to make the Wilderness trip, and just head for VA at the last minute if there's a lot of early season snow. I haven't checked, but I guess White House Landing is closed then, so it'll be a bit more "wilderness" and a bit heavier pack. Thanks you all for the suggestions.

Kerosene
07-11-2011, 14:56
Of course, I'm sure you realize that your daylight will be quite limited come November, especially as you will be even further north than NY and CT (sunrise 7:14 am, sunset 5:22 pm on 11/1, for 10 hours of daylight).

1azarus
07-11-2011, 16:23
Of course, I'm sure you realize that your daylight will be quite limited come November, especially as you will be even further north than NY and CT (sunrise 7:14 am, sunset 5:22 pm on 11/1, for 10 hours of daylight).

funny you say that -- you sure are right. i just was hiking in maine a couple of weeks ago and never needed to use my headlight -- there was way more light than i ever needed. what a pleasure that was! at least it won't be the end of december! 10 hours daylight x 2 mph = 20 miles per day x 5 hiking days = 1 100 mile wilderness experience...

10-K
07-11-2011, 18:02
funny you say that -- you sure are right. i just was hiking in maine a couple of weeks ago and never needed to use my headlight -- there was way more light than i ever needed. what a pleasure that was! at least it won't be the end of december! 10 hours daylight x 2 mph = 20 miles per day x 5 hiking days = 1 100 mile wilderness experience...

The trail in the 100 mile wilderness is also ideal for night hiking. It would be easy to do a couple of hours in the dark.

Enjoy! You going to use the Murmur or a bigger pack? I got the murmur based on your recommendation and love it.

bobqzzi
07-11-2011, 21:05
For many years I hunted by Allagash lake in November. One year in November we set up out tent while in out T-shirts because it was in the 60s. The next morning, we awoke to about 15" of snow.

Sounds like a great trip!

weary
07-11-2011, 22:44
For many years I hunted by Allagash lake in November. One year in November we set up out tent while in out T-shirts because it was in the 60s. The next morning, we awoke to about 15" of snow.

Sounds like a great trip!
I've had similar experiences over the decades. But only once or twice before Nov.3 when the OP expects to be heading home. Besides, global warming makes it ever easier -- for a while at least.

Shutterbug
07-11-2011, 23:15

A few years ago, I hiked the 100 Mile Wilderness the 3rd week of October. It was a great time to hike -- no bugs and very pleasant days. The nights were a bit chilly, but the days warmed up. We had no snow, even on the peaks.

Driver8
07-12-2011, 00:41
I've been in Canada on canoe trips that same time period and just a little further north and the temps that I've seen are night time lows of 30*F and daytime highs around 60*-70*F.

I'd bet those highs are unusual for that part of Maine at that time. We don't see those temps here in CT that time of year all that often. 55* F for a high is more like it here, I'd expect 45-50 up there.

modiyooch
07-12-2011, 07:52
My main Maine concern would be the river crossings. What are the typical depths in Nov? Big Wilson was pretty deep for me in June. I can't imagine getting into that cold water for any length of time, but then again I am a wuss.

1azarus
07-12-2011, 07:54
The trail in the 100 mile wilderness is also ideal for night hiking. It would be easy to do a couple of hours in the dark.

Enjoy! You going to use the Murmur or a bigger pack? I got the murmur based on your recommendation and love it.

so glad you love it -- i do too and almost cry when i can't use it!!! i also have a mariposa plus (gear creep) which i'll probably use then since i'll be carrying more food and more winter-ish stuff and i need a tad more volume -- but I use the mariposa without the aluminum frame and without the waist belt padding so it is, well not as light as the murmur, but a great light winter pack.

Shutterbug
07-12-2011, 11:55
My main Maine concern would be the river crossings. What are the typical depths in Nov? Big Wilson was pretty deep for me in June. I can't imagine getting into that cold water for any length of time, but then again I am a wuss.

River crossing aren't usually a problem in the fall.