PDA

View Full Version : Fastest Known Times

Sly
07-11-2011, 10:44
I'm surprised that, until today, this website has never popped up looking for times. The dude seems knowledgeable and the times pretty much up-to-date.

http://fastestknowntime.proboards.com/index.cgi#regions

Red Hat
07-11-2011, 11:28
Sly, did you see my note that, according to Warren, the record Snorkle broke was Jenny Jardine's?

Red Hat
07-11-2011, 11:38
Is the AT there, or am I missing something?

Sly
07-11-2011, 13:02
Is the AT there, or am I missing something?

Yeah, it's under mid-Atlantic for some reason and includes Jenny's hike and mention of Warren. I thought I read somewhere Jenny's hike was 93 days, that why I couldn't figure out who did it in 87.

k2basecamp
07-11-2011, 13:12
Ward leonard holds the mens unsupported at 60.5 days. This is over 20 years old maybe the next to go. What happened to the isreali hikers attempt?

Mags
07-11-2011, 13:17
This link has been mentioned a few times before. Having said that, I just made the post a sticky for future reference. :)

Peter Bawkin out of Boulder runs the site. Very accomplished ultra-runner (to out it mildly)

Jeff
07-11-2011, 13:32
What happened to the isreali hikers attempt?

In 2010 Carlos Goldberg from Israel finished in 65 days. That was a great attempt especially for someone who had never hiked the AT.

The Solemates
07-11-2011, 13:57
i know of at least one record on that site that isnt captured but i think the record holder wants to keep it that way

WingedMonkey
07-11-2011, 14:56
Am I correct that the neither the ATC or any other official trail organization recognize any record attempts of the Appalachian Trail ?

Jack Tarlin
07-11-2011, 15:00
Winged Monkey: Yes, you are correct.

k2basecamp
07-11-2011, 15:00
i know of at least one record on that site that isnt captured but i think the record holder wants to keep it that way Hmmmm. I guess its a secret.

Mags
07-11-2011, 15:49
Am I correct that the neither the ATC or any other official trail organization recognize any record attempts of the Appalachian Trail ?

The ATC does not...Other trail orgs may or may not depending.

Red Hat
07-11-2011, 17:16
Yeah, it's under mid-Atlantic for some reason and includes Jenny's hike and mention of Warren. I thought I read somewhere Jenny's hike was 93 days, that why I couldn't figure out who did it in 87. thanks... I think she must have done one at 93 days and one at 87 days....

BabySue
07-13-2011, 22:41
Very helpful and interesting sticky note--thanks.
I want to propose clarity on an upcoming matter. This is not a correction of anyone in particular; it's more in anticipation of what will be said at the end of Jennifer Pharr Davis's hike. If she does achieve the fastest AT completion, then we can say, "JPD has the fastest AT completion time" or "JPD has the unsupported AT record." We will also still be able to say, "JPD has the women's unsupported AT record." But we will not be able to say, "JPD has the women's and the men's record." She is a woman, and therefore any record she holds is a woman's record. We could, of course, say, "JPD has the women's record, which is faster than the men's," or more simply, "JPD has the overall record." I'm pointing out, and tryint to dispel, the assumption that a men's record is always better than a women's. This is so ingrained in us that we sometimes speak of a woman setting a man's record without noticing the absurdity of that. If, for example, a man were currently attempting an AT unsupported record, and he finished today (July 13) with a time faster than any woman has done it, but not faster than any man, we wouldn't think of saying that he holds the women's record. Why? Because he's not a woman.

k2basecamp
07-13-2011, 23:16
Point made but Elizabeth Thomas just set the women's unsupported record so it's a little bit of a put down to say that "JPD holds the women's unsupported record" Any point you are trying to make involves the SUPPORTED fastest known time.

BabySue
07-14-2011, 01:20
No put down intended to either of these amazing women. Simply bad typing/thinking on my part. Thanks for the correction.

CrumbSnatcher
07-14-2011, 07:14
In 2010 Carlos Goldberg from Israel finished in 65 days. That was a great attempt especially for someone who had never hiked the AT.
i'd like to see his itinerary. i followed him the best i could, and kept a record. i thought he was on a 75 day or so attempt and was surprised he made it in 65. is he the one that stole someones hat in the carter notch hut, and was run down by someone to get his friends hat back. some where around vermont or a little farther his journaling slowed down or stopped and his mileage picked up big time thru the whites and maine. hope im wrong, someone correct me please if so.

Pedaling Fool
07-14-2011, 07:35
...I'm pointing out, and tryint to dispel, the assumption that a men's record is always better than a women's. This is so ingrained in us that we sometimes speak of a woman setting a man's record without noticing the absurdity of that.
Well look at the various running/speedwalking records; the men's time is always faster. Now if you take a few women and men (top women and non-top men) you're going to have some wins (records set) by women.

I can't think why speed hiking would be any different. What is different here is that this sport doesn't really attract many participants. I'm willing there are many other differences, but I'm not someone that can speak too intelligently on this subject, but with respect of male vs. females just look at the overwhelming data out there.

matador
10-10-2012, 11:09
Well look at the various running/speedwalking records; the men's time is always faster. Now if you take a few women and men (top women and non-top men) you're going to have some wins (records set) by women.

I can't think why speed hiking would be any different. What is different here is that this sport doesn't really attract many participants. I'm willing there are many other differences, but I'm not someone that can speak too intelligently on this subject, but with respect of male vs. females just look at the overwhelming data out there.

i live in virginia and saw on the local news earlier this year that some girl locally hikedit in 39 days. it didnt say if she was assisted or not but it seems to me she would have to be

Moose2001
10-10-2012, 20:23
i live in virginia and saw on the local news earlier this year that some girl locally hikedit in 39 days. it didnt say if she was assisted or not but it seems to me she would have to be

Not sure what trail they were talking about but I'm sure it wasn't the AT. To do the AT in 39 days, you would have to average 55 miles a day. Just not possible.

trovar
10-21-2012, 03:55
His journal states that he started May 5 and finished July 10.
http://trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?trailname=10523 (http://trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?trailname=10523)

Sacchoromyces
06-21-2015, 20:04
Anyone else keeping tabs on Scott Jurek's run at FKT, supported?

Sacchoromyces
06-21-2015, 20:05
Not sure what trail they were talking about but I'm sure it wasn't the AT. To do the AT in 39 days, you would have to average 55 miles a day. Just not possible.

Talk to the ultra runners. Fifty-five a day is totally doable.

Lone Wolf
06-21-2015, 20:11
Talk to the ultra runners. Fifty-five a day is totally doable.

not in NH and ME

Singto
06-27-2015, 03:13
Very helpful and interesting sticky note--thanks.
I want to propose clarity on an upcoming matter. This is not a correction of anyone in particular; it's more in anticipation of what will be said at the end of Jennifer Pharr Davis's hike. If she does achieve the fastest AT completion, then we can say, "JPD has the fastest AT completion time" or "JPD has the unsupported AT record." We will also still be able to say, "JPD has the women's unsupported AT record." But we will not be able to say, "JPD has the women's and the men's record." She is a woman, and therefore any record she holds is a woman's record. We could, of course, say, "JPD has the women's record, which is faster than the men's," or more simply, "JPD has the overall record." I'm pointing out, and tryint to dispel, the assumption that a men's record is always better than a women's. This is so ingrained in us that we sometimes speak of a woman setting a man's record without noticing the absurdity of that. If, for example, a man were currently attempting an AT unsupported record, and he finished today (July 13) with a time faster than any woman has done it, but not faster than any man, we wouldn't think of saying that he holds the women's record. Why? Because he's not a woman.

I remember 30 years ago the so-called experts were predicting that women's athletic records would surpass male's records within 20 years. Still waiting.

One Half
03-19-2022, 12:41
I listen to the podcast and this past week they announced that FKT has been sold to Outside, Inc. Oddly, I don't think the host of the podcast is going to be continuing the podcast. The episode had maybe 6 guests talking about what they had contributed and what they will be doing. And the host, Buzz, basically said he "didn't know" what the future held for him. No mention about whether the podcast will continue or not. I hope it does. Anyone out there here this last episode and catch something I missed?