PDA

View Full Version : Gps?

Big Suave
07-11-2011, 15:33
Just wondering if most people generally carry a GPS on the CT. I don't have one, but I'm considering getting one before I head out there. Thanks

HiKen2011
07-11-2011, 15:35
Just wondering if most people generally carry a GPS on the CT. I don't have one, but I'm considering getting one before I head out there. Thanks

Millergear has one on here for sale

ChinMusic
07-11-2011, 15:42

Hopefully Mags spots this thread. This is in his backyard.

I have a buddy on the CT right now and from the pics he has posted of the trail bed it looks pretty well marked, like the AT. I would think that a GPS would be handy if the passes, or trail in general, is snow covered.

I defer to Mags.

Mags
07-11-2011, 15:43

The CT is pretty well marked. While a GPS is nice, it is not needed IMO. I suspect most hikers carry a GPS...but that is because it is a more a common item among the general public than a necessity for thru-hiking the CT.

If you think you want one, great. Check out Bear Creek's link (it is a sticky) for downloadable way points.

But you don't NEED one.

I have a buddy on the CT right now and from the pics he has posted of the trail bed it looks pretty well marked, like the AT. I would think that a GPS would be handy if the passes, or trail in general, is snow covered.

I defer to Mags.

That is pretty much correct. It is a very well marked trail indeed.

If you are hiking early (esp in a heavy snow year like this one), a GPS could be handy.. But the snow is already melting out rapidly and places 'impassable' two weeks ago (or less) are now a nice hike.

Big Suave
07-11-2011, 19:26
Thanks a bunch!!

lemon b
07-21-2011, 08:04
For some reason I can not get behind a GPS hiking. Maybe because I'm older and just so used to a map&compass. Plus they are just to small to see whats going on up ahead.

Trailryder42
07-21-2011, 13:04
I have a Garmin 60cx and that's what everyone that had a GPS on the 2011 Colorado Summer hike n hang of section 6 of the CT was using. It's one of the most popular for this type use.

garlic08
07-22-2011, 11:41
I'm another "old schooler" and I hiked the CT long before commercial GPSs were around (1990). I can't bring myself to get a GPS for hiking, either. You'll be fine on the CT without one if you have some basic map skills (and maps, of course).

Highway Man
07-30-2011, 18:03
I was thinking about printing out Postholer's CT Google overlay with terrain turned on before starting the thru hike last year. When making the screen shots, you can zoom into decent scale to see the contours and annotations, while possibly see the roads, valleys, and towns nearby as well. I finally gave it up due to a printer problem.

I got lost at three locations as I had little patience and bad weather at the time, but soon traced back to the correct directions. CT is not as closely marked as AT, but still marked at those turning points at least. Sometimes it just needs a little more thinking from a hiker.