PDA

View Full Version : Some questions about cold weather gear.

t_ryfek
07-11-2011, 15:40
I am planning a SOBO thru hike starting in june/july of 2013 and i have read alot about "the whites", I was wondering what states/parks these mountains are actually in, and when would be the best time to ship home my cold weather gear (location and/or time of year). Also I am planning on using a 30 degree bag with a liner will this be warm enough? and lastley shoes..... should i go lightweight or get waterproof hiking shoes/boots?

hikerboy57
07-11-2011, 15:54
thew whites are northern NH. although you can still get snow into early summer on some of the Northern peaks, you should be fine with a 30 deg bag. search the forums regarding shoes, lightweight is fine, waterproof overrated.Be sure to take raingear, and lightweight fleece for layering.
You can goto:http://www.mountwashington.org/ for up to the minute weather conditions. In one 2 week trip, I experienced temperatures from the mid 40s to the mid 90s.

Storm
07-11-2011, 15:55
You will get a lot of opinions on those questions. I personally wouldn't go any less than a 20 degree bag but then I'm an old guy and like to be warm. Shoes is another thing that will have to be worked out for yourself. My ankles aren't as strong as they used to be so I don't do well in trail runners. I think all leather hiking boots to be a bit extreme. I wear a Vasque GTX hiking shoe. You've got plenty of time to work it out. Keep reading and keep asking questions. Welcome to Whiteblaze by the way.

t_ryfek
07-11-2011, 16:19
First off thank you for the info. and greetings!

I personally wouldn't go any less than a 20 degree bag but then I'm an old guy and like to be warm.

Considering i would have a liner i have read that a 30 degree bag would be rated similar to a 20 degree bag, and the liner can be sent home after it is no longer necessary, would this be a safe asumption?

Also in regards to shoes, once i find a suitable pair, how many pairs will i need to last an entire thru hike?

hikerboy57
07-11-2011, 16:28
You should be fine with your bag and liner. Ive hiked the presidentials many manytimes early late july, never need better than my 40 deg bag and insulated core pad..You do need to do some research about camping in the Whites, there are plenty of restrictions, and you need to plan where you'll be staying between Pinkham Notch and Crawford, as the huts can get very expensive, and sites are very limited between madison(osgood) and mizpah.
welcome to whiteblaze, home of well intentioned but often contradictory advice.:-?

johnnybgood
07-11-2011, 17:03
First off thank you for the info. and greetings!

Also in regards to shoes, once i find a suitable pair, how many pairs will i need to last an entire thru hike? I have read where two to three pair are commonly used but it also varies per shoe quality and individual hiking style.
Buy one pair to begin your hike and remember to go up one size 'cause your feet will swell due to fluid retention . When the need for another pair is imminent check in with an outfitter along the trail and get sized up for your next pair. Some hikers also choose to have another pair of their favorite shoe waiting for them at an outfitters.

Snowleopard
07-11-2011, 23:23
thew whites are northern NH. although you can still get snow into early summer on some of the Northern peaks, you should be fine with a 30 deg bag. search the forums regarding shoes, lightweight is fine, waterproof overrated.Be sure to take raingear, and lightweight fleece for layering.
You can goto:http://www.mountwashington.org/ for up to the minute weather conditions. In one 2 week trip, I experienced temperatures from the mid 40s to the mid 90s.
I've seen it go from about 90 to mid 40s in half an hour going from below treeline to above treeline on Moosilauke. Mt. Washington can be more extreme. 90s at low elevation and 30s above treeline in the same day happens. Mostly I agree with hikerboy's recommendations, except that for the presidentials I'd consider two light weight fleeces or equivalent and a fleece or wool hat.

map man
07-12-2011, 00:22
Send home some of your cold weather gear once you reach Glencliff, New Hampshire (right after you have finished with the White Mountains). If you are still on the trail in November or later in the south (TN/NC/GA) get it sent back to you. I recommend light trail runners for the AT and if you go that route expect to go through three or four pair in a thru-hike. Liners often don't extend the temperature rating of a sleeping bag as much as advertised. When it comes to staying warm, err on the side of caution until you get to Glencliff.

t_ryfek
07-12-2011, 22:31
All excellent info! very useful this is much obliged!