PDA

View Full Version : Easiest 3 day hike in Georgia with road access

birdygal
07-11-2011, 16:58
My husband and I are wanting to try doing a 3 day hike on the Georgia AT, We have only been day hikers and are not young or real fit, we have only been doing the pinhoti trail in georgia I have a son that lives in hiawasee he will be dropping us off and picking us up what would be the easiest section for us

HiKen2011
07-11-2011, 17:08
My husband and I are wanting to try doing a 3 day hike on the Georgia AT, We have only been day hikers and are not young or real fit, we have only been doing the pinhoti trail in georgia I have a son that lives in hiawasee he will be dropping us off and picking us up what would be the easiest section for us

IMHO there are no easy sections in GA. At least three days worth.;)

Red Hat
07-11-2011, 17:13
How about Unicoi Gap south to Neel Gap (20.2 miles total). You would be heading the easier direction than way. Previous poster is correct that there are no "easy" sections in Ga, but some areas are easier than others. I suggest hiking to Low Gap the first night (9.4 miles but the only hard part is the climb out of Unicoi). Then Whitley Gap (4.6 AT miles plus 1 mile off trail, but a nice shelter) for the second night. Then 6.2 miles into Neel Gap to end.

cavediver256
07-11-2011, 21:57
I have to agree, there are no "easy sections" in GA. I did however meet a "young" lady awhile back that was out hiking solo, and doing a marvelous job of hiking her own hike....

I met her just north of Hawk Mountain on my first day out of Springer. We acknowledged each other and I moved on, imagine my surprise when I arrived at Neels Gap to find her sitting on the steps at Mountain Crossing!!!!! I couldn't believe it!!!! How could she....when did she....pass me???

After sitting and talking with her for about a half an hour, she had taught me a lot. First and foremost, it ain't about the miles, it is about the pure enjoyment of the hike. She said that some days she may do 2 miles, some she may squeeze out more or maybe even less, but when she needed a break from the trail, she would call and have one of the shuttles pick her up, drop her at a hostel for a day or two, then drop her back off where she had left off.

It certainly changed the way I looked at the trail. Too often we look at how fast we can hike a section, or how many miles we can pile into a 3 or 4 day trip. If we blow by the scenery, why the hell are we even out in the woods hiking???? We might as well be in a gym, on the treadmill, wearing our packs.

My advice is to pick a section, make a plan and hike it.....keep a backup plan in your back pocket just in case something goes wrong, or things aren't working out the way you had planned. Don't rely on cell phones, as they can be very unreliable in certain areas. With your son in Hiawassee, there are several places along the trail where he can "check up" on you and see how things are going.

ironman y2k
07-11-2011, 22:38
I think an easy 3 day (2 night) hike would be Day 1: start at Hogpen Gap. Hike 4.2 miles over fairly easy terrain to Low Gap shelter. Day 2: Hike 7.2 miles (take all day and it's easy) to Blue Mountain shelter. Be aware Blue Mountain shelter can get strong winds blowing into shelter from Unicoi Gap. Day 3: Enjoy your morning at Blue Mountain shelter then since you may be tired from your previous day's hike all you will have left is a downhill hike of 2.2 miles into Unicoi Gap where your son is only 10 miles away in Hiawasee. Enjoy....

daddytwosticks
07-12-2011, 07:22
+1 to ironman y2k's suggestion. :)

4dogHiker
07-12-2011, 10:06
How about Unicoi Gap south to Neel Gap (20.2 miles total). You would be heading the easier direction than way. Previous poster is correct that there are no "easy" sections in Ga, but some areas are easier than others. I suggest hiking to Low Gap the first night (9.4 miles but the only hard part is the climb out of Unicoi). Then Whitley Gap (4.6 AT miles plus 1 mile off trail, but a nice shelter) for the second night. Then 6.2 miles into Neel Gap to end.

I agree that this is an easier hike, and very beautiful views of the surrounding mountains when you need a break!

phobos
07-12-2011, 13:57
I think an easy 3 day (2 night) hike would be Day 1: start at Hogpen Gap. Hike 4.2 miles over fairly easy terrain to Low Gap shelter. Day 2: Hike 7.2 miles (take all day and it's easy) to Blue Mountain shelter. Be aware Blue Mountain shelter can get strong winds blowing into shelter from Unicoi Gap. Day 3: Enjoy your morning at Blue Mountain shelter then since you may be tired from your previous day's hike all you will have left is a downhill hike of 2.2 miles into Unicoi Gap where your son is only 10 miles away in Hiawasee. Enjoy....

I've done this section... its not too bad. However, it is a slow hike down blue mtn in my opinion. Lots of rocks aka ankle breakers. So, be careful especially if its wet out.

birdygal
07-12-2011, 19:40
Thanks for all the information, We have no problems doing 6 miles on rough terrain now without packs, No soreness, We will do a longer section with packs on before we try it to see. I know 14 miles was too much for me when I attempted the snake creek section of the pinhoti. I was whipped when I hit the trail head, I would have stopped then but had no choice I still had 2 more miles before I reached home and was not prepared to be sleep out in the woods at the time