PDA

View Full Version : day hike info

snowflakes
07-12-2011, 11:46
My husband is dropping me off at Neels gap and I want to walk to Blood Mt. How long a hike is this and can he pick me up there ???

HiKen2011
07-12-2011, 12:00
My husband is dropping me off at Neels gap and I want to walk to Blood Mt. How long a hike is this and can he pick me up there ???

It's 2-2 1/2 miles top to the top, all uphill. You'll have to backtrack back down.

bloodmountainman
07-12-2011, 12:18
There are a few options to this day hike. Hike South on the AT from Neel Gap. Either take the blue blazed Freeman Trail to Bird Gap and turn North on the At and hike up and over Blood Mt back to Neel Gap. You could start at Vogel State Park and hike the Bear Hair Trail to the Coosa Backcountry Trail and the Duncan Rige Trail to the AT and up and over Blood back to Neel Gap. You have the option of ending your hike at Lake Winfield Scott, Vogel State Park, or Hwy 180 at Wolfpen Gap. The loops will do away with any backtracking.

snowflakes
07-12-2011, 14:14
Cant I just go in the trail at Neels gap and hike to Blood Mt and get picked up there ???

HiKen2011
07-12-2011, 14:18
cant i just go in the trail at neels gap and hike to blood mt and get picked up there ???

no...............

max patch
07-12-2011, 14:49
2 1/2 miles up and then 2 1/2 miles back down. And as others have said, there are ways to make this a longer hike if you want.

This is the most popular section (heaviest used) of the trail in GA. Absent any physical limitations, you'll have no problems getting up and back.

snowflakes
07-12-2011, 14:56
thank you , I guess I will go up and then down. This is my first hike alone and dont want to push it.

solobip
07-12-2011, 15:01
thank you , I guess I will go up and then down. This is my first hike alone and dont want to push it.

Snowflakes, you won't be alone. It is a very popular place.

Tennessee Viking
07-12-2011, 15:08
Blood Mountain lies within a wilderness area. So no roads. The easiet hike is an in and out at Neels Gap/Mountain Crossings. If go slow going uphill, expect maybe 3-4 hours round trip. Fast pace maybe just over an hour. But expect to take in the views on top.

If you do need to park, you can park at Reece Memorial Parking area just north of Neels gap on US 129. Its a little over a half a mile from the parking area to the AT on the blue blaze. Mtn Crossings usually wants day hikers to park there instead of Neels Gap.

snowflakes
07-12-2011, 15:42
I dont need parking and this is very do able for me , thank you for all the help , I will be going in alone but I understand there will be hikers to join !!! Again thank you so much !!!!

snowflakes
07-20-2011, 20:30
I went on my hike from needs Gap up and back down Blood mt on Monday,It was great but I was a little afraid as I only past 1 guy the whole time. I was on the mt.I did it in 4 hours which was good for me.