PDA

View Full Version : Any Good November Festivals to hike into in NC/GA

wornoutboots
07-12-2011, 14:05
I'll be completing my Springer to NOC section this November hoping to catch the Fall colors at their best. Does anyone know of any fun festivals to hike into where one could get their fill of good live music & hand crafted brew?
It's looks like the NOC is having their NOCtober fest but I believe it'll be a little too early for me Octorber 28th-30th for the coloros??

Thanks

d.o.c
07-12-2011, 14:28
i finishd my thru on springer on oct 27th and the colors were out and all the high peaks thru there were all caped in a layer of ice really nice i thought and the temps were comfy then to nice to spend weeks alone in it.

Captain Blue
07-12-2011, 16:12
I hiked from Fontana Dam to Springer last year from October 25 - November 5 hoping to hike during peak fall colors. But I was past the peak fall colors by at least a week or more. They were stil in full color at lower elevations but not up on the ridges. There was a half inch of snow on the ground on November 5 on Springer.

wornoutboots
07-12-2011, 16:55
I looked back on my journal from last year & on October 4th as I left Spence Field Shelter & headed South I do remember seeing my 1st bit of snow of the year & I do recall that several of the hikers at the shelters that night that headed north were caught in some pretty bad snowy conditions. So I assume directly after that sytem pushed through the leaves were on their way to changing. As hard as it is to predict, I think I will try to start mid October & hit the NOCtober fest. Please chime in if you can think of any nice little pubs or watering holes along the way.

Thanks Again for the input

upstream
07-13-2011, 07:41
The Georgia State Fiddlers Convention is in Hiawassee early October.
Helen is a year round Octoberfest.
Dahlonega has some kind of festival a couple of times each month, including the Literary Festival and the Hemlock Festival that time of year.
Blairsville has the Sorghum Festival.
Rabun County has the Foxfire Festival, and probably some others.

usmcpayne
07-22-2011, 11:31
Well if you start around the 7th of October you will get to Unicoi around the weekend of the 15th and they have octoberfest going on for 2 months in Helen Ga which is around 5 or so miles off the trail. I will be starting my next SOBO trip from Fontana to Springer in September and ending at Springer then driving back to Helen for Octoberfest.

wornoutboots
07-29-2011, 23:14
maybe we can switch keys as we pass usmcpayne??