PDA

View Full Version : backpack suggestions

hikerdg
02-06-2005, 22:00
I need some suggestions I carry 40-45lbs currently using the Gregory pallisade, but would like to find something a little smaller and lighter.

SGT Rock
02-06-2005, 22:07
Get a Gearskin made from pack cloth. www.moonbowgear.com

attroll
02-06-2005, 22:21
Before you jump into a gearskin you have to make sure that you like a frameless pack. I not saying it is a bad pac, just that you need to try one before you jump into it.

bulldog49
02-06-2005, 22:53
Granite Gear O-Zone, weighs 3 lbs and carries 40 Lbs.

grrickar
02-06-2005, 23:39
I use a Kelty Haiku 4250. It is a cheap pack, not too heavy, and seems durable enough. I have carried 40 pounds in it, and I will admit it feels better with 35 or less - but what pack doesn't?

I'm looking at a Gregory G or Z pack as a second backpack. I like the Granite Gear Vapor Trail too, but I think it would have some issues with a 40+ load. The Gregory packs seem to be a good bit cheaper, not sure about the quality.

MedicineMan
02-07-2005, 00:56
40-45 pounds!!!!!!!!!!!
what i would do for your feet and knees!!!!!!
carry on the good fight, hell just hot glue some straps to a Samsonite :)

chris
02-07-2005, 11:04
Keep the Gregory. At 40-50lbs, you will need the extra support and suspension that it has. If you want to get smaller and lighter, attack other things first, like shelter, sleeping bag, cooking, and clothes.

Happy
02-08-2005, 01:55
Keep the Gregory. At 40-50lbs, you will need the extra support and suspension that it has. If you want to get smaller and lighter, attack other things first, like shelter, sleeping bag, cooking, and clothes.

I agree with Chris on this issue, but think you should readdress the issue of weight and start with a base weight of 16lbs or under....do some reviewing of your needs weightwise!

Get your Big Four under 7 lbs!!! :sun

hikerdg
02-08-2005, 13:41
My big weight seems to be my tent and pack. I want to use a tent with fly not a tarp and I would like a little room in it. Any suggestions?

Singletrack
02-08-2005, 14:12
I have a 2004 Sierra Designs Light Year for sale. Under 4lbs., and sleeps one, plus some gear. Used only once. Has footprint. Retails for about $170 with footprint. Will take $110 and ship it to you. Send me a personal e-mail if interested.

grrickar
02-08-2005, 14:18
Try the MSR Hubba (one man), the MSR Hubba Hubba (two man) or a Sierra Designs Clip Flashlight or Lightyear. I have the MSR Hubba, and I think it is a great one man tent, but there is little room for gear in there with you. If that is a problem, I'd keep looking.

You may have better choices for gear locally in Cullman, AL. than I (Alabama Outdoors maybe?), but here in Huntsville, AL. Outdoor Omnibus and Wiley's are about the only two stores even close to an outfitter in these parts that I am aware of. I have purchased most of my stuff off the internet and on Ebay, with a few items coming from Wileys.

If you do your homework you can find small outfitters online with good advice and great prices. I try and give those my business whenever I can, else if I cannot find anything local or at a small business online, I usually can find what I need at Campmor or REI.

If you happen to be traveling, look for a Galyans. They have been bought out by Dick's Sporting goods and they are dumping the Galyan's merchandise cheap. Good deals to be had for certain, but it is a crying shame that they were bought out by Dicks - who seldom carry anything beside gear for car camping. The closest Galyan's that I know of is in Atlanta, and there is an REI in Nashville if you are more into window shopping.

I typically read threads here on gear, do a google search for reviews, and make my decisions based on unbiased owner opinions. Many pieces of my gear I had never seen in person until after I had purchased it, but with the wealth of good reviews on most items on the internet, I have been happy with all of my decisions thusfar.

icemanat95
02-08-2005, 15:20
Crikey, get off the guy's back. When I hiked 40 pounds was about average. My pack sometimes got up in the 70 pound range and one time when I was assisting another injured hiker, I carried well over 100 pounds up Blood Mountain. Ain't no big deal if you aren't trying to eat up 20-30 miles per day. Take it easy on your mileage and build up slowly and you can carry 40-50 pounds without too much trouble. Sure, lighter is better, but getting that weight down is an evolutionary process each hiker must go through for themselves.

Drum Stick
02-08-2005, 17:16
I am assuming that this is your first thru hike attempt.

Most thru hikers carry internal frame packs, I did, and man did I regret it especially through the summer heat. It is certainly a different situation when hiking for a week or in cold weather. But when hiking for months with a wet (rain and or sweat) internal frame pack up against your back things can get mighty uncomfortable. And worse a wet pack on your back can cause skin irritation and have negative impact on your experience, that was my experience anyway. If you have the luxury of two packs I would suggest the internal frame pack for the cold weather and the external frame for the hot weather. I was actually on my way to Springer Mt. when a former thru hiker / shuttle driver told me that I would regret my internal frame pack and as she was right on the money.

I carried a two man tent that made most hikers jaws drop (5+lbs). I definitely enjoyed the tent space in the south where shelter space is hard to come by and I used the tent less as shelter space was more plentiful. I got rid of my sleeping pad in NC because something had to go and besides a couple of nights where I slept on my clothes I found that I did not need the pad. When I got to The Whites I got rid of my tent too but I kept the ground sheet. I found that I did not need the tent! At that point I was good at dodging the rain for the most part, shelter space was plentiful, and where there was no shelter I just rolled up in my tent ground cloth and off into the shrubbery.

Just some of my experience that may or may not help. The best of luck to you!

bailcor
02-08-2005, 17:53
I need some suggestions I carry 40-45lbs currently using the Gregory pallisade, but would like to find something a little smaller and lighter.

I started with the pallisade and carried about 50 lbs in it. I now have a Go-lite speed and carry 24 lbs. (winter pack with 4 days food supply). The difference is that I could at most obtain 10-12 miles a day with the pallisades and now can do 15-20 miles a day with the lighter configuration. Not only is my pack better organized but I enjoy myself a whole lot better and arrive at my days destination in much better shape.