PDA

View Full Version : UltraLight A - Z Needs Your Support

STICK
07-12-2011, 18:00
http://stick13.files.wordpress.com/2011/07/cd_front.jpg?w=300&h=238 (http://stick13.files.wordpress.com/2011/07/cd_front.jpg)
Need help going UL? Then here’s your chance! Hendrik Morkel (an ultralight backpacking evangelist, entrepreneur, author and wilderness guide) from Hiking in Finland (http://www.hikinginfinland.com/) has set out to help you do just that! For sometime now Hendrik has been planning to make a video series called “UltraLight A – Z” in which he shares his knowledge on the subject, and now he is ready to get it going.

To get it going though, Hendrik needs a little help from all of us, the rest of the backpacking world. He has set a goal of $6,000 to complete the series, and we can help him raise this money by simply going to Kickstarter (http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1277447934/ultralight-a-z-the-video-guide-to-lightweight-back) and pledging any amount that you want. You can pledge as much (or as little) as you would like, however, to make it easy, there are preset pledges of $1, $15, $50, $75, $150 and even as much as $2,500. As well, each of these have respective “swag” that comes with each pledge, whether it be stickers, an HD download, a HD DVD and even a cool T-Shirt!
http://stick13.files.wordpress.com/2011/07/tshirt_front.jpg?w=300&h=286 (http://stick13.files.wordpress.com/2011/07/tshirt_front.jpg)http://stick13.files.wordpress.com/2011/07/tshirt_back.jpg?w=300&h=286 (http://stick13.files.wordpress.com/2011/07/tshirt_back.jpg)
However, this must be acted upon as soon as possible! The Ultralight A – Z project will run on Kickstarter until July 31st. At that time, if the goal is met, the money will be withdrawn from your account and Hendrik will begin working on the video series. On the other hand, if the goal is not met, no money will be deducted and unfortunately, no video series will happen…

At this point, approximately 30% of the goal ($2,170) has been met by a total of 51 backers. So, with only 18 days left, now is the time to get in on the project. To do so, simply head on over to the “UltraLight A-Z – The Video Guide To Lightweight Backpacking” project on Kickstarter (http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1277447934/ultralight-a-z-the-video-guide-to-lightweight-back) and make your pledge, but don’t stop there. Once you make your pledge, go and tell your friends and your friends friends about this project. By spreading the word about this project, the better the chances are of this video series actually coming to light! (And you know that you want to watch them…)

If you have any more questions about the project, simply check out the post that Hendrik has posted on his own blog: The Video Guide To Lightweight Backpacking (http://www.hikinginfinland.com/2011/07/video-guide-to-lightweight-backpacking.html). Or you can go straight to the Kickstarter site by clicking on the link in the paragraph above and get started there!

swash
07-12-2011, 20:47
Kickstarter is an awesome website. I really like the idea behind it. I've never donated to any projects so far (they've all had their time run out) so this will be my first.

STICK
07-12-2011, 21:38
swash,

I just recently found out about Kickstarter when Devin Montgomery used it for his recent Backcountry Boilers. So, this is only the 2nd time I have come across it. I didn't get in on the backcountry boilers, but I got in on this. I really enjoy Hendriks blog (Hiking in Finland) and I think that he will make some great videos, so I am really hoping that the goal is met!

Anyway, glad that you are participating. Be sure to tell your friends!

Franco
07-12-2011, 22:45
At Backpackers one guy got his knickers in a knot because of the positive comments on the BackCountry boiler.
I wonder how upset he became discovering that Devin got $60k sponsorship in a couple of weeks.
But I just love how some spend so much energy to be negative about things...

Anyway, I hope that Hendrick gets the backing he deserves.
Franco

topshelf
07-12-2011, 23:22
I wonder what this 6K is going to be used for? What kind of videos is he going to be making with the money? If he's going to be sitting there video taping him discuss things then I don't see why he needs the money. That's a budget of around $230 an episode. Like he said that's $230 for two days of work.

Not trying to put the guy down or anything, or diss the project. Just wondering why he wants it now instead of charging later for the DVD's

STICK
07-12-2011, 23:58
Redeye,

Totally understandable.

He does answer this question on his Kickstarter project page. It can be read here:

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1277447934/ultralight-a-z-the-video-guide-to-lightweight-back

Here is an insert from that page:

Additionally, I will make the the series available for free, for everyone, on Youtube and Vimeo. However, the only way I will actually make the series is if the funding goal is reached = no funding, no series. Thus if you fund this project, not only are you doing the good thing of making that resource available for everyone and making lightweight backpacking more accessible & known to a wider audience, but you will also get some nice stuff for yourself or as a present for a friend.

Once the funding goal is reached I will start to film and edit the episodes, so the sooner we reach it, the sooner I will be out shooting! I have the majority of episodes planned, and now am eager to get out. Timing is also something you want to know; so let me tell you that I plan to upload one episode a week after the funding time is over, which means come August the project will already start to air.

Where does the money go? Tooling for DVDs, packaging, stickers, the Amazon Download service and the T-Shirts cost a little fortune, and the rest goes to paying my time for planning, filming and editing the 26 episodes. Some special camera gear is needed to get the best audio and visual quality, and costs for travelling to locations round out the costs.

The Rewards are the series itself, as well as Stickers, T-Shirts and a really slick DVD package of the finished series. The HD downloads will be a lot better in quality than the free version, and also will be available before the free version goes online - you're thus in the know a lot earlier. The DVD, Stickers and T-Shirt will be sent at the end of the series, I hope before Christmas, so that you have a nice present for yourself or a mate =)

I became a backer because I have come to really enjoy the content of Hendriks blog and feel like he will produce some really great videos. I feel quite sure that I will learn a thing or 2 from them. As well, I don't really feel like he is in this for the money because once the goal is reached he will make the videos, and then offer them for free on both YouTube as well as on Vimeo. However, for those that would like to help him out, they of course will be given "swag" and not to mention the actual videos (only in HD rather than SD, and the backers will have access to it first ~ kinda like a VIP thing!) so that is a plus.

I don't expect everyone to be a backer, but I felt like it was a worthwhile project to share with the forums.

(And I hope that the goal is met... :) )

k2basecamp
07-13-2011, 07:01
Not sending the t-shirts or dvds out until the end of the series?

STICK
07-13-2011, 17:13
I can see why he would need to wait until the end of the series to send out the DVD, so I would assume (even though we all know what they say about making assumptions...) that since he has to wait til then to ship the DVD's, then maybe he is waiting till then to ship everything at the same time. Just my guess.

Franco
07-13-2011, 19:56
That's a budget of around $230 an episode. Like he said that's $230 for two days of work.

Let me start by saying that I have no financial interest in this, just discussing the point...

Hendrik has a very interesting and informative blog going, including some high quality pictures and videos.
He walks the walk and talks the talk, not a backyard only camper at all.

a visit at :
http://www.hikinginfinland.com/
will confirm what I said above. Go ahead, it's free....

Now , I am not really sure what was meant by the $230 for two days work (IE : is that a lot of money ?) but to put into perspective that is about the minimum wage an unskilled worker gets (in Finland...)
That is not because wages are high, the cost of living is.
For example a Big Mac is about $7.
Franco

topshelf
07-13-2011, 20:29
That's a budget of around $230 an episode. Like he said that's $230 for two days of work.

Let me start by saying that I have no financial interest in this, just discussing the point...

Hendrik has a very interesting and informative blog going, including some high quality pictures and videos.
He walks the walk and talks the talk, not a backyard only camper at all.

a visit at :
http://www.hikinginfinland.com/
will confirm what I said above. Go ahead, it's free....

Now , I am not really sure what was meant by the $230 for two days work (IE : is that a lot of money ?) but to put into perspective that is about the minimum wage an unskilled worker gets (in Finland...)
That is not because wages are high, the cost of living is.
For example a Big Mac is about $7.
Franco

well he said it would take 2 days to make each video, roughly. so each video would be 6000/26=230.7something. That's 230 for each video or two days of work. STICK answered my question. I was just wondering where the money is going. It does seem like a lot of money, at least to me, for someone who is going to shoot a video without really using the money productively. As STICK posted it does seem like he is actually using the money for gear and items to make the videos more worthwhile.

Forgive me for wondering when someone asks for money up front before the project is done. I've spent my last 5 summer's voluntarily doing housing rehab for individuals who cannot afford standard housing repairs. Most of them have been lured in the past into paying up front for a job just to have the "contractors" skip town a few days after the project was started.

Raul Perez
07-13-2011, 23:07
Hmmm.... I haven't read his blog but I will do so over the next few weeks. But I'm sure he has hiked, does hike and will continue to hike more than I do or ever will. He probably has a great knowledge base which is based on actual experiences and a lot of trial and error. But when someone starts asking for money not for charity to help those who really need help in life my auditor mode kicks in. Also, I have some experience in putting together a mini gear series (albeit not as extensive as his is going to be) and fundraising so I have some small experiences with this area.

So where is the money going:

Tooling for DVDs, packaging, stickers, the Amazon Download service and the T-Shirts cost a little fortune, and the rest goes to paying my time for planning, filming and editing the 26 episodes. Some special camera gear is needed to get the best audio and visual quality, and costs for travelling to locations round out the costs.

But in the end it's free:

Additionally, I will make the the series available for free, for everyone, on Youtube and Vimeo.

Special Camera Gear - So basically the backers are paying for new equipment for him to play with. Yes I could use a better digital camera maybe even a digital camcorder for when I do my little video hiking blog on youtube but I wouldn't ask anyone to pay for it for me.

Planning, filming and editing 26 episodes & Costs to travel to locations to film - So the backers are paying for him to go on vacation and play director to a movie that he stars in. No really they are. Dont tell me that him going into the woods in some beautiful location with a camera and gear is work. It's not, it is a hell of a lot of fun and you know it. I should know I have fun when I do it. Every single time.

But lets stay with this... if the backers are paying for locations and film time, doesn't that make them investors? And if so investors make their money back through sales of the film and other promotions. Where's the payback with interest? Oh yes you get DVDs, stickers and a shirt. Really? I think I would be OK with this entire project if people get their money back with some other incentives through sales.

But lets say he does make the $6K, makes the videos.... in the end they are free for everyone. So the backers get dvd's, shirts, etc. He gets the time of his life and some fancy equipment for future endeavors possibly a deal on the discovery channel. And the majority of people who never contributed to this series get to watch free of charge. Wouldn't this just bother the backers knowing that they paid for someone else to watch this for free?

I'm not slamming the man I really think having a series on UL backpacking and having it to the extent of an in-depth 26 episodes would be really cool. But as a possible "investor" the above things just come to mind. I just think that there should be better rewards for the backers of this film.

hike500
07-16-2011, 13:28
You are 100% correct Raul, I don't normally post here but needed to jump on this one. I couldn't have said it any better. You are funding his gear addiction.

Hmmm.... I haven't read his blog but I will do so over the next few weeks. But I'm sure he has hiked, does hike and will continue to hike more than I do or ever will. He probably has a great knowledge base which is based on actual experiences and a lot of trial and error. But when someone starts asking for money not for charity to help those who really need help in life my auditor mode kicks in. Also, I have some experience in putting together a mini gear series (albeit not as extensive as his is going to be) and fundraising so I have some small experiences with this area.

So where is the money going:

But in the end it's free:

Special Camera Gear - So basically the backers are paying for new equipment for him to play with. Yes I could use a better digital camera maybe even a digital camcorder for when I do my little video hiking blog on youtube but I wouldn't ask anyone to pay for it for me.

Planning, filming and editing 26 episodes & Costs to travel to locations to film - So the backers are paying for him to go on vacation and play director to a movie that he stars in. No really they are. Dont tell me that him going into the woods in some beautiful location with a camera and gear is work. It's not, it is a hell of a lot of fun and you know it. I should know I have fun when I do it. Every single time.

But lets stay with this... if the backers are paying for locations and film time, doesn't that make them investors? And if so investors make their money back through sales of the film and other promotions. Where's the payback with interest? Oh yes you get DVDs, stickers and a shirt. Really? I think I would be OK with this entire project if people get their money back with some other incentives through sales.

But lets say he does make the $6K, makes the videos.... in the end they are free for everyone. So the backers get dvd's, shirts, etc. He gets the time of his life and some fancy equipment for future endeavors possibly a deal on the discovery channel. And the majority of people who never contributed to this series get to watch free of charge. Wouldn't this just bother the backers knowing that they paid for someone else to watch this for free?

I'm not slamming the man I really think having a series on UL backpacking and having it to the extent of an in-depth 26 episodes would be really cool. But as a possible "investor" the above things just come to mind. I just think that there should be better rewards for the backers of this film.

Franco
07-23-2011, 03:17
The project is fully founded with 8 days left.
Franco

Rocketman
07-23-2011, 08:53
Even if it is fully funded, I'm going to contribute.

Stuff almost always costs more than anticipated. At least, most major projects I have ever worked on have been priced too low in order to get the funds, and there is not enough reserve to take care of the unanticipated difficulties.

I place my priority on helping a broad community, not worrying about if the implimenter ends up with some used equipment in the process or gets rich at $230 per day to cover all costs for producing a "free" product.

I apologize for being so idealistic. I used to be a good skeptic, but I grew out of it.

STICK
07-24-2011, 23:38
I am happy that the goal has been met. I am definitely looking forward to seeing what Hendrik has in store for us. Thanks everyone for helping!

hike500
07-28-2011, 01:33
I can't wait either, I am sure there is something in the videos we haven't thought of yet. Call me skeptic.

Raul Perez
07-28-2011, 05:49
I'm glad he met his goal. But I would be lying if I said I wasn't jealous. I wish I had the same reaction from the hiking community when I hiked for charity a few months back which 20% of the proceeds went to the Appalachian Trail Conservancy.

hike500
08-09-2011, 12:28
I really like your videos Raul, how much did it cost you to make yours! :)

Raul Perez
08-09-2011, 14:33
hike500 dont start!!! :banana

But keeping on that I will be having a few new videos comming out the end of the month on some new gear that I have acquired.

Gonna give them a good testing this November when I break away from work.

Jonnycat
08-09-2011, 18:09
Hey guys, send me a bunch of money and I'll spend it all on gear and video equipment and put some videos up on the internet featuring me with my new gear! It'll be awesome!

Franco
08-09-2011, 22:36
jonnycat
I don't expect you or some of the other critics here to be interested in this , but here is my comment :
Hendrick started his blog in 2009.
So far he has published about 200 articles, most including several pictures (of a pretty high standard) and a good proportion contain a video clip or two.
Many of those articles were very informative, as well as entertaining , interviews with cottage and the like manufacturers.
Now, again , I don't expect you to spend any of your time looking that up but what exactly have you done along these lines ?
Here is a sample of one of his interviews :

http://www.hikinginfinland.com/2009/11/interview-fritz-handel-from-bushbuddy.html
Just for fun I did a word count. 5,461 words.
How long does it take you to compose and type an article like that ?
But be my guest, prove me wrong and I will consider sending you some money.
Franco

hike500
08-10-2011, 00:54
I will be watching, how much do you want?

Hey guys, send me a bunch of money and I'll spend it all on gear and video equipment and put some videos up on the internet featuring me with my new gear! It'll be awesome!

hike500
08-10-2011, 00:57
Franco, I watch Henry's videos and others on new gear. I know what I need or want and will go straight to the source such as Tarptent. by the way are you on the payroll or just piggy backing? You do seem to know a lot about Henry's tents! I actually like your videos quite a bit and it didn't cost me a dime to watch them, keep up the good work!

jonnycat
I don't expect you or some of the other critics here to be interested in this , but here is my comment :
Hendrick started his blog in 2009.
So far he has published about 200 articles, most including several pictures (of a pretty high standard) and a good proportion contain a video clip or two.
Many of those articles were very informative, as well as entertaining , interviews with cottage and the like manufacturers.
Now, again , I don't expect you to spend any of your time looking that up but what exactly have you done along these lines ?
Here is a sample of one of his interviews :

http://www.hikinginfinland.com/2009/11/interview-fritz-handel-from-bushbuddy.html
Just for fun I did a word count. 5,461 words.
How long does it take you to compose and type an article like that ?
But be my guest, prove me wrong and I will consider sending you some money.
Franco

Franco
08-10-2011, 06:14
hike500
I get a commission for every TT sold in Australia (since last year) , something that Henry wanted to do, I never asked for it...
In round about terms it also means that I don't get anything for about 97% of all TT sold, not that I would want or expect anything else.
My participation in the forums has nothing to do with it , the part I enjoy is to suggest some ideas and challenge Henry at coming up with something different.
The new Strato Spire is an example of that.
Henry has been playing with that idea for over 4 years so for both of us it was interesting to see how it changed from start to finish.

The downside for me about being part of TT is that I cannot comment (about tents) the same way I used to.

Henry shoots his videos as a visual version of the printed instruction sheet, part of his business.
I do mine for fun, but doing it for fun when I want and if I want is nothing like committing to a 26 part tutorial series on all sorts of aspects of hiking.
I like tents, have a passing interest in stoves and that is about it. Don't ask me to do videos on clothing or pretty much anything else apart from the two things I mentioned.
Well, mats when the urge takes me.
Franco