PDA

View Full Version : SMD Skyscape Trekker- big guy review, right out of the box!

sir limpsalot
07-12-2011, 18:30
Just opened up the priority mail box and set up my much-researched and much-anticipated Ultra-light tent that will fit a big guy and has all the greatest features. I communicated with Ron at Six Moon Designs as this was being designed and manufactured and really looked forward to a non-misting hybrid tent that uses trekking poles and will fit my 6'1" self on a neo-air and in a long bag.
Let's begin: first off, this isn't as big as I thought it was going to be. I do fit, but just barely...and there aint gonna be no thrashin around when it's rainin out or my bag's gettin wet. That said, this is a very well made tent: fit and finish are top-notch. I cannot find a fault in the stitching and all sewn seams seem very sturdy. The tent sets up rock-solid and the set-up is very intuitive. 3 stakes hold the tent up just fine and the additional 2 for vestibules held it without a tremor in 15 mph winds in my backyard. There is an additional rear guyout that will give the feet a little more clearance when braced up over a stick, but only about an inch. Without the rear guy out my size 13 feet on a 2.5" neo-air (size large) had 2" from the canopy when my head was at the top of the mattress. A size reg. neo-air will improve that. The bathtub floor is very minimal- 2.5" when set out with my mattress....it seems like a sideways rain might leave me pretty muddy and wet- I'll try adjusting down the canopy so it's pitched steeper and closer. The reinforced areas for the poles and crossbrace seem up to the task. There are thoughtful tie-backs and toggles for multiple configurations. . I had it seam-sealed and they did a professional-looking job...I've yet to see better.
I bought an optional porch with mine. No instructions. I thought it would zip in the vestibule...nope. It has a few mysterious plastic connectors and a piece of velcro. Can't figure the damn thing out for the life of me......okay, just called smd and had it explained to me. I get it now but the porch seems cut too big. The velcro doesn't line up when connectors attached. With tensioning strap that runs across the top pulled all the way in- it still sags and seems loose. The whole thing billows and tosses around in the slightest breeze. This can't be right.
....I'll deal with it later, the wife's almost home from work and I promised to have the tandem ready to ride. Here's some pix, I'll get back to it later on the weekend.

http://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/files/2/1/6/4/3/071211_162039_.jpg

sir limpsalot
07-12-2011, 19:05
... just talked to smd: I had the porch braced wrong. I'll try it again this weekend. (SMD: how 'bout some instructions in the bag with the porch!).

Del Q
07-12-2011, 19:58
...waiting for mine, Sept hike in Vermont, like the open air feel, Tarptent is excellent but really nice to have plenty of airflow and views when not raining. Lighter weight is always a nice +

skinewmexico
07-12-2011, 20:25
So what's the tip for the porch?

sir limpsalot
07-12-2011, 22:34
So what's the tip for the porch?

I had placed the support poles too far apart. Gonna try it again this weekend, or so.

Silverstone
07-12-2011, 22:43
This has got to be the best gear review piece I've seen yet on WB!

Very nice--thanks for taking the time to share the info.

stranger
07-13-2011, 03:21
The 2.5 inch bathtub floor is probably going to be an issue, this is often the most overlooked area of a tent - splashing effect. For me, that's a dealbreaker, otherwise it does look good.

Tuckahoe
07-13-2011, 07:01
I dont see that as an issue. The tent is staked close to the ground with the tent's foot print generally larger than the foot print of the floor itself. No different than the many floorless tents that I have slept in and stayed dry.

10-K
07-13-2011, 07:28
I dont see that as an issue. The tent is staked close to the ground with the tent's foot print generally larger than the foot print of the floor itself. No different than the many floorless tents that I have slept in and stayed dry.

That's right... I have a LH Solo which from the looks of it is the twin brother to this tent and even in a driving, pouring down thunderstorm I didn't get any splash inside.

10-K
07-13-2011, 07:31
What kind of pole do you have at the top? I'm assuming you insert your pole tips inside on either side of it.

Is it sewn in or do you have to insert it? One of the things I don't particularly like about the LH Solo is that the pole is loose and has a tendency to move around. It'd be better sewn in. (minor complaint... I have to really reach to find anything negative to say about the tent really)

skinewmexico
07-13-2011, 18:18
Removable spreader pole. I saw a discusstion on BPL where some guys replaced it with Pex tubing. They bent the ends (with a heat gun) to take trekking poles. Said it worked much better than the factory.

sir limpsalot
07-13-2011, 19:53
Removable spreader pole. I saw a discusstion on BPL where some guys replaced it with Pex tubing. They bent the ends (with a heat gun) to take trekking poles. Said it worked much better than the factory.

what's pex? where do you get it? the fabric covered spreader pole that comes with the tent seems to work well enough, but I'm concerned about durability...esp since the pole ends fit into a fabric pocket (really heavy material, but hey,it's fabric)

skinewmexico
07-13-2011, 21:15
Pex is a kind of plastic tubing. I want to use it to make the pole tip pocket longer. I'm kind of worried about my trekking pole coming out of the factory spreader.

House of Payne
07-13-2011, 21:39
Sir, just out of curiosity is the tent seams single or double stitched?

10-K
07-13-2011, 21:52
Pex is a kind of plastic tubing. I want to use it to make the pole tip pocket longer. I'm kind of worried about my trekking pole coming out of the factory spreader.

I heated my spreader pole (made out of PVC) over our gas stove and custom fit my trekking pole tip to the spreader pole.

10-K
07-13-2011, 21:53
You can buy pex at lowes in the plumbing section where the pvc is. Blue for cold, red for hot. :)

trailangelbronco
07-13-2011, 22:28
Looks like they totally copied the Lightheart Solo, only skinnier.

stranger
07-14-2011, 02:00
That's right... I have a LH Solo which from the looks of it is the twin brother to this tent and even in a driving, pouring down thunderstorm I didn't get any splash inside.

To me the Lunar Solo has more ample fly coverage, where as this tent has the fly comes real close to the peak, where your head is, you will get splash at that location, perhaps not, but I still wouldn't buy it.

10-K
07-14-2011, 07:25
To me the Lunar Solo has more ample fly coverage, where as this tent has the fly comes real close to the peak, where your head is, you will get splash at that location, perhaps not, but I still wouldn't buy it.

Just for clarification I was talking about the LH (Lightheart) solo - not the Lunar Solo. Though I have it too and never had splash with it either.

Too many tents....

WingedMonkey
07-14-2011, 14:02
Too many tents....

I'm emailing you with my shipping addy.

:p

FamilyGuy
07-14-2011, 17:35
Thanks for posting the review! There needs to be some shelters out there with vertical ends for the taller folk.

skinewmexico
07-14-2011, 18:38
Thanks for posting the review! There needs to be some shelters out there with vertical ends for the taller folk.

Oh yeah, it's not enough that the tall guys always got all the girls, now you have to get a special shelter too!

Looks like they totally copied the Lightheart Solo, only skinnier.

And for 50 bonus points, the LH copied what shelter? (please put your answer in the form of a question)

stranger
07-14-2011, 23:25
Just for clarification I was talking about the LH (Lightheart) solo - not the Lunar Solo. Though I have it too and never had splash with it either.

Too many tents....

Haha I know what you mean....but can you really have too many tents? The Lightheart floor is definately more ample, has more coverage from splashing, which tent to you prefer?

pistol p
07-15-2011, 13:46
I've got the Lightheart SoLong6. And I've got to say, it's a whole lot roomier than the Skyscape. I was originally going to buy the Skyscape, but found that it wouldn't be long enough for me. Luckily, Judy at LH finish the design and testing of the SoLong just in time for the MN season to start. I am 6'5" and I couldn't ask for anymore room. Has a nice @8" bathtub floor. These tents are quite similar in design, but I would pick up the SoLong if you are 6'2" and up, no question about it. Not knocking the Skyscape, at all. It just is a tad bit small for the taller hiker.

10-K
07-15-2011, 13:53
Haha I know what you mean....but can you really have too many tents? The Lightheart floor is definately more ample, has more coverage from splashing, which tent to you prefer?

Definitely prefer the Lightheart Solo over the Lunar Solo. The Lunar Solo has always been too small for me and while it's a really good tent the design is a bit long in the tooth compared to some of the newer tents that have become available over the past few years.

The Lunar Duo still is king of the 2 person tent IMO though.

skinewmexico
07-15-2011, 18:15
I didn't like the giant footprint of the Lunar Solo. Hard sometimes to find a place to pitch it, and it is definitely more finicky about a good pitch.

sir limpsalot
07-16-2011, 11:23
Just got done water test. Skyscape passed what I had to throw at it!

I pulled out the tent for a second set-up. The skyscape weighed 28 oz in the stuffsack: seam-sealed, with instructions, rear tie-out cord and six groundhog stakes in a ziploc. The pics show tent loosely stuffed into stuffsack (I could have rolled it tighter).Neo-air is size large. Stuffsack was 16' long. The tent set up even easier the second time, probably a minute...I could do it faster with more practice.

The test. I set it up in the drainage corridor for my backyard. I had put some top-soil fill in about a month ago so the grass was patchy...plenty of mud to splash. Polycro ground cloth. Fly set to medium distance out from body (could be set tighter for more weather resistance). Size large neo-air in tent to push bathtubheight down. I set the hose on a ladder and set the spray to the equivalant to a light/medium steady rain with light gusts swirling the spray. I left the hose on for an hour. Turned it off and wiped down entrance side of tent. Put down a carpet scrap at the entrance and opened it up.

The tent was almost completely dry. there was two drops at the head point of the floor...appears to have splashed in. All seams dry...top and bottom (good seam-seal job smd!). Body of tent had been retensioned 5 min. into water test and remained taut the entire time. Tent did not sway or shift position. While checking tent I was kneeling hard on my knees on floor...no seepage even though ground was muddy enough to sink my knees a couple inches.

Following that, I stood on top of ladder and nailed it full blast for 10 min..tent, peak and muddy ground surrounding fly. 45-60 deg. angle most of the time. I wiped down the outside and re-entered...still totally dry.

http://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/files/2/1/6/4/3/071611_060426_.jpg

http://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/files/2/1/6/4/3/071611_063935_.jpg

http://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/files/2/1/6/4/3/071611_075712_.jpg

http://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/files/2/1/6/4/3/071611_065206_.jpg

http://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/files/2/1/6/4/3/071611_075941_.jpg

http://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/files/2/1/6/4/3/071611_075950_.jpg

http://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/files/2/1/6/4/3/071611_080048_.jpg

http://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/files/2/1/6/4/3/071611_094319_.jpg

http://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/files/2/1/6/4/3/071611_094354_.jpg

http://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/files/2/1/6/4/3/071611_080214_.jpg

daddytwosticks
07-16-2011, 18:55
Thanks for the detailed testing. Looks like a nice shelter. Bet the neighbors thought you were nuts! :)

STICK
07-16-2011, 19:48
Awesome. I started seam sealing mine the other day and got just about done and ran out of SilNet (the tube I was using was already partially used before I stated with the tent). I reordered another tube and finished the seam seal about an hour ago. I will let it set up for the night and then take mine outside tomorrow and give it the water hose test.

Question for you though, did they seam seal the hem where the zipper is sewn onto the fly door, under the storm flap?

House of Payne
07-16-2011, 21:15
Just with the information I have read on this thread I would most likely go with Judy on this one. If the SMD is going to be tight on a person close to 6' tall then I will need the extra room for sure.

sir limpsalot
07-16-2011, 21:32
Question for you though, did they seam seal the hem where the zipper is sewn onto the fly door, under the storm flap?

yes, on the outside of the fly.

sir limpsalot
07-16-2011, 21:38
Just with the information I have read on this thread I would most likely go with Judy on this one. If the SMD is going to be tight on a person close to 6' tall then I will need the extra room for sure.

I'm back and forth on this, but only using this will tell if it will work as I need it in foul weather. The plus's I see are: smaller foot print, only three stakes needed to make it stable (and use it as a net tent!), lower profile in bad weather, cool stealth green color (damn things almost invisable in the yard). Regardless of the positives, though, if it leaves me or my gear wet in foul weather....lightheart gear, here I come!

sir limpsalot
07-16-2011, 21:40
Looks like a nice shelter. Bet the neighbors thought you were nuts! :)

bought house with private back yard which backs to apple orchard....thought ahead!;)

HeartFire
07-16-2011, 22:51

10K - the LightHeart tents all have an 8 inch bathtub floor!

Judy - LightHeart Gear

ronmoak
07-16-2011, 23:08
If you need an 8 inch bathtub floor, you better be packing some scuba gear!

Tipi Walter
07-16-2011, 23:31
This has got to be the best gear review piece I've seen yet on WB!

Very nice--thanks for taking the time to share the info.

While the fotogs are nice and while I appreciate sir limpsalot's enthusiasm (and great photos too), this is in no way a tent review since the tent was not taken out in tough conditions for at least four or five trips or after a year or two of intensive field use. No tent can be properly judged in the backyard, it needs to be put up and taken down a hundred times in wind, rain, cold, at night, and when your hands are numb from hypothermia. Then maybe a decent gear review can be attempted. Plus, seeing the water drops on the inside of the floor raises a big red flag in my book as it's just the beginning of further problems---like when you're caught at 5,000 feet on an open bald in a summer deluge all-night rainstorm which will make your sprinkler system test look like a poor after-thought. No tent should allow water to come in and onto it's floor.

It's hard to find vertical end walls on most tents nowadays being that most tents nowadays are very small with angled foot ends causing the sleeping bag foot to rub up against wet mesh or inner canopy walls wet with condensation.

House of Payne
07-17-2011, 05:37
I just read this entire thread again and it donned on me, the detail that this man put into his new tent with the use of pictures and this forum is what the manufacturers should be doing on their websites. Reviews and numbers are one thing, seeing it in detail when u cannot see and touch it in person is the next best. Thanks again sir for your efforts, it helped me with my decision.

Tuckahoe
07-17-2011, 07:37
I just read this entire thread again and it donned on me, the detail that this man put into his new tent with the use of pictures and this forum is what the manufacturers should be doing on their websites. Reviews and numbers are one thing, seeing it in detail when u cannot see and touch it in person is the next best. Thanks again sir for your efforts, it helped me with my decision.

+1

A frustration of mine with a lot of the cottage industry folks is the lack of this sort of information. One of their new tents or any other product hits the market, you really want to feel it, touch it and try it out and you really cant do that. Reviews might be ok, but that doesnt make up for the seeing part. More detailed videos posted on a site such as Youtube would go along way to giving a potential customer better information about a product they cannot really hold in their hands. How many really good videos are there from Tarptent, or Lightheart or SMD? And the videos that are there are all generated by costumers.

sir limpsalot
07-17-2011, 16:28
While the fotogs are nice and while I appreciate sir limpsalot's enthusiasm (and great photos too), this is in no way a tent review since the tent was not taken out in tough conditions for at least four or five trips or after a year or two of intensive field use. No tent can be properly judged in the backyard, it needs to be put up and taken down a hundred times in wind, rain, cold, at night, and when your hands are numb from hypothermia. Then maybe a decent gear review can be attempted.

This was never intended for a comprehensive review (Though, as I add to my experience with it, it may become one). This piece is designed to help everyone out there who can't actually get there hands on one to check out before they buy. The manufacturer's info doesn't address some of the basic questions that bigger folk have regarding ultra light tents. It shows aspects of fit using a larger person and large mat, as well as take an intial read on that minimal bathtub floor in wet conditions. Most of us with experience can extrapolate out to harsher field conditions....that's what we do with every piece of equipment we play with at REI before we buy it. I simply tried to add to available info and give an honest opinion regarding it. Take it for what it is, I never pretended anything different-semantics aside.

House of Payne
07-17-2011, 21:10
This was never intended for a comprehensive review (Though, as I add to my experience with it, it may become one). This piece is designed to help everyone out there who can't actually get there hands on one to check out before they buy. The manufacturer's info doesn't address some of the basic questions that bigger folk have regarding ultra light tents. It shows aspects of fit using a larger person and large mat, as well as take an intial read on that minimal bathtub floor in wet conditions. Most of us with experience can extrapolate out to harsher field conditions....that's what we do with every piece of equipment we play with at REI before we buy it. I simply tried to add to available info and give an honest opinion regarding it. Take it for what it is, I never pretended anything different-semantics aside.

Much appreciated!

skinewmexico
07-17-2011, 21:59
Awesome. I started seam sealing mine the other day and got just about done and ran out of SilNet (the tube I was using was already partially used before I stated with the tent). I reordered another tube and finished the seam seal about an hour ago. I will let it set up for the night and then take mine outside tomorrow and give it the water hose test.

Gotta ask........why did you use Silnet, instead of the mineral spirits/100% silicone mix?

STICK
07-18-2011, 00:47
Gotta ask........why did you use Silnet, instead of the mineral spirits/100% silicone mix?

Well, it's what I already had...

I have already decided though that with my next tent/tarp, I will use the mineral spirits/silicone mix... (Thinking ahead...)