PDA

View Full Version : camp shoes

nu2hike
07-12-2011, 20:11
I recently switched from boots to trail runners! Before when wearing boots I always carried clogs to wear in camp. Do those of you who hike in trail runners also pack extra shoes for camp or do your trail runners suffice?

30 Large
07-12-2011, 20:33
For me, regardless whether I'm in boots or trail runners, after a long day of hiking it feels good to be in another set of shoes. I personally use Merrell True Gloves as my camp shoes.

HiKen2011
07-12-2011, 20:36
I recently switched from boots to trail runners! Before when wearing boots I always carried clogs to wear in camp. Do those of you who hike in trail runners also pack extra shoes for camp or do your trail runners suffice?

Trail runners and usually no camp shoes, however there are exceptions.

Serial 07
07-12-2011, 20:46
if it's a long distance, i'd bring crocs...give your feet and shoes a breather...

nathan2
07-12-2011, 22:17
I just use trail runners, but like to go barefoot when I'm at camp. My philosophy is that if you aren't sure and it isn't essential, then hold off and buy it on the trail if you decide you want it.

nathan2
07-12-2011, 22:19
That's assuming there is an outfitter along the way :D

map man
07-12-2011, 22:30
It took me four years of backpacking to find the right style (New Balance 840 Trail Runners -- no longer made) and fit (11 EEEE) in hiking footware, but since I did I haven't felt the need for camp shoes. The key is, are your trail shoes a really good match for you?

Ender
07-12-2011, 22:34
Regardless of what I hike in, boots or shoes or sandals, I still have a pair of Sprint Aquatics on hand for camp shoes. At 1.5 ounces for a pair, it doesn't add much at all to my pack, and it feels good to let my feet air out.

http://www.sprintaquatics.com/prodinfo.asp?number=901

Yeah, they're ugly, but whatever. They are surprisingly durable, and it's good to get out of hiking shoes, especially wet hiking shoes.

azhiker
07-12-2011, 22:35
I second the barefoot at camp comment. It's kind of like having flip flops, but just a little less material under foot!

elray
07-13-2011, 08:12
Croc's first appeared on the Trail over a dozen years ago when everyone still called them "Waldi's. I liked them then and have carried a pair ever since even though they're a little balky. Lightweight and comfortable they're a nice change at the end of the day, and you can hike in em'.

TexasEd
07-13-2011, 11:32
Crocks were bulky so I hung them on the outside when I had a small pack. That was annoying so I went to sandles that was less bulky but heavier the next year. I have a larger pack and will use either the crocks or flip flops this year.

Jay_NJ
07-13-2011, 12:15
i have some myog sandals with thin vibram soles and some paracord for the toe thong. -- probably about 5oz total. -- not the lightest but simple and comfortable. I like to let my feet live in the open when I cook dinner at camp.