PDA

View Full Version : Dog found at Roan Mtn. Shelter.

Hurricane Tom
02-07-2005, 00:07
My buddy and I were hiking Saturday at the Roan Mountain section of the AT and found a dog stuck inside the Roan Mtn. shelter. He was so weak we had to carry him off the mountain to the car at Carver's Gap. Owner was contacted from info on the tag but seems un-interested in getting him back. Would love to keep him myself but can't. (My Lab doesn't like him in her territory very much). He appears to be possibly a Foxhound. I can send pictures if anyone would be interested in giving this good boy a good home. Contact me at: [email protected]

Skeemer
02-07-2005, 09:03
Did the owner give you any indication whatsoever of why he abandoned his pet. It's really wierd that he would leave an I.D. tag on it while giving it up to fend for itself. People like that make me sick.

Many hikers come across strays on the Trail. We had one follow us for half a day then turned around and and went the other way.

It's great of you to try and help. If no one comes forth look up the closest Animal Protective League and see if they will help.

Jaybird
02-07-2005, 09:23
contact the CARTER COUNTY (TN) ANIMAL RESCUE:

Elizabethon/Carter County Animal Rescue (http://www.angelfire.com/tn2/ECCAR/)
P.O. Box 765
HAMPTON, TN 37658
Tel: + 1 (423) 542-3322
Fax: + 1 (423) 547-3755
Email
Cats; Dogs; No-kill Shelter; Spay/Neuter Program; Foster Homes; Pet Adoption

StarLyte
02-07-2005, 09:27
Many thanks to you Hurricane for rescuing that poor dog-I always say people that help animals will be rewarded. Imagine how that dog suffered - his idiot owner needs to be mauled by a few dogs. What a friggin jerk. :clap

The Solemates
02-07-2005, 09:42
Unreal. I cannot believe someone would do this. If you dont want him, at least take him to the pound, not lock him in a shelter to starve to death.

Grimace
02-07-2005, 16:00
hounds in NC-GA section. One followed us for a morning. It was emmaciated and hurting. We came to a road crossing where some hunters were gathering. They took the dog back to its owner. Another time, we found one with an ID tage and phone number. We called the owner and told us just to leave it.

These dogs aren't pets to some of these huters, just tools.
The dogs looked horrible.

Kudos for the help you gave

Hurricane Tom
02-07-2005, 20:17
I'm afraid I have given you all the wrong impression. I don't think the owner locked him in the shelter. The dog probably just pushed the door open to get in out of the snow and cold then couldn't get the door open. The town listed on the tag is at the bottom of Roan Mountain on the NC side so he hadn't wandered too far. I was able to get in touch with a woman in Bakersville who contacted some people who knew the owner. He was supposed to get in touch with me to get him back but never has yet. Anyway, if I had lost a dog like this one I would have been jumping through hoops to get him back if someone had let me know they had found him. here's "Lucky" by the way:

Big Guy
02-07-2005, 22:23
You are to be commended for your efforts. Good Deal! :banana

Newb
02-08-2005, 22:14
What a wonderful looking dog. Part Beagle if I'm not mistaken. He deserves the best of homes, preferable where he can run. Make sure he gets his Kibbles and Bits and don't be too quick to give him up. Saint Francis will have a special place in heaven for you and he if you take care of him :)

Hurricane Tom
02-10-2005, 21:56
:banana The dog's owner just got in touch with me. We are meeting Saturday to get them back together. Apparently there was some miscommuniction as to why I hadn't heard from him until now. The dog had been missing for over two weeks. The dog's name is "Brownie" and he is getting along very well now from his stay at "The Hurricane Hotel" in case anyone was interested in his progress.

Thanks to all for your kind words towards me and my buddy. Thanks Jaybird for the info on the Amimal Rescue in Elizabethton. I had actually called them today to get details on taking him over there this weekend but they do not take in strays or abandoned animals. Leaves me wondering what "animal rescue" really means.

wacocelt
02-10-2005, 22:08
H.Tom, thanks immensely for sharing the good news! I'm very happy to hear the Brwonie will be returning home and wasn't just a castaway. You're good people in my book! :D

Patco
02-11-2005, 11:01
Are you sure the 'package' left in the shelter wasn't left there to feed a hungry thru-hiker? I'm sure folks have left 'Brownies' at other shelters and hikers were very thankful.

Got milk? ;)

NICKTHEGREEK
02-11-2005, 14:24
[QUOTE=Hurricane Tom]My buddy and I were hiking Saturday at the Roan Mountain section of the AT and found a dog stuck inside the Roan Mtn. shelter. He was so weak we had to carry him off the mountain to the car at Carver's Gap. Owner was contacted from info on the tag but seems un-interested in getting him back. Would love to keep him myself but can't. (My Lab doesn't like him in her territory very much). He appears to be possibly a Foxhound. I can send pictures if anyone would be interested in giving this good boy a good home. Contact me at: [email protected][/QUOTE

Tom, if the fates ever dictate we cross paths some day, I'd be honored to shake your hand and treat you to a beverage or a good meal. :clap