PDA

View Full Version : 1st Hike for my wife and Second for me

dgm
07-12-2011, 22:49
I've done a four day hike, about 14 miles a day from NC back into GA about ten years ago. Now my wife and I would like to hike from the NC/Ga Border to Fontana Lake in appox 7-8 days. in mid- Sept. She's in good shape, and has hiked out-West, I can use a little conditioning, but I can hold my own. We are in the process of getting some good quality lightweight equipment together. Do you think this is a doable hike. I think the NOC is about 1/2 point for restock on supplies. How about the weather? Also a White Box or Brass alochol stove or compressed gas. Which do you prefer?

10-K
07-13-2011, 07:52
Well that's roughly 95 miles give or take with NOC being somewhere around 65 or so miles into the hike so yeah NOC would be a reasonable place to stop for resupply and a burger.

Weather can still be pretty warm in mid-September but no heavy winter stuff of course. Just check the forecast before you head out and adjust accordingly.

Any kind of stove will work - whatever you're most familiar with would probably be best.

Have fun, that's a great section. Well.... all but that climb out of NOC. :)

Nutbrown
07-13-2011, 09:31
Whatever gas you use, play with it before you go. The hike is doable, and you can both suck wind together! Have a GREAT time!

Kerosene
07-13-2011, 10:15
I just completed this section with my newbie 21-yo daughter. She was a bit intimidated by some of the descriptions of how rough this section is, especially out of Stecoah Gap, but we really didn't have any problems at all. We averaged about 10 mpd, mostly because of our bum knees. We each carried less than 20% of our body weight, with supplies, which worked well. She wasn't in great shape, but she's not overweight and spirited youth can make up for fitness to some degree. I'm still in reasonable shape but aging; the hardest part for me was having to slow down to hike at her pace and wait for her to take all her pictures. PM me and I'll send you my trail journal with pics for this section, or wait long enough and I'll get a version posted to TrailJournals.

JaxHiker
07-13-2011, 10:52
Well that's roughly 95 miles give or take with NOC being somewhere around 65 or so miles into the hike so yeah NOC would be a reasonable place to stop for resupply and a burger.

I highly recommend the Tail of the Dragon burger at the River's End Restaurant. OMG it's freakin' incredible!

http://images.idratherbehiking.com/trips/at/nc/deepgap2noc/IMAG0137-640.jpg

10-K
07-13-2011, 11:28
Great burgers there for sure - I had 2 of them when I hiked the BMT.

Stayed at the hotel too and heard motorcycles All-night-long.

dgm
07-13-2011, 11:56
I'm still undecided on a two-man tent or ENO or the like Hammock set up?

JaxHiker
07-13-2011, 13:08
Hammock. It's the only way to go. ;)

dgm
07-13-2011, 14:52
What kind?, I know there's lots of manufacturers. ENO is the only sold locally

Kerosene
07-13-2011, 15:33
Lots of opportunities for hammocking through this section, while level tent sites can be at a premium in places. I wouldn't pick ENO just because they're sold locally. If you're truly interested in hammocking, and can get out for a few nights to shake out the setup, then I'd go over to www.hammockforums.net (http://www.hammockforums.net) and peruse those threads (I'd also take a good look at the Warbonnet Blackbird (http://warbonnetoutdoors.com/blackbirds.php)hammock).

JaxHiker
07-14-2011, 09:29
I've used a Hennessy Explorer Ultralight for years. I recently switched to a Light Hiker from Tree to Trail after trying their Switchback (another awesome hammock). I know the Blackbird has a huge following (almost cult like :) ) but I know several people that dumped their BBs in favor of the Switchback.

skinewmexico
07-14-2011, 18:58
I've used a Hennessy Explorer Ultralight for years. I recently switched to a Light Hiker from Tree to Trail after trying their Switchback (another awesome hammock). I know the Blackbird has a huge following (almost cult like :) ) but I know several people that dumped their BBs in favor of the Switchback.

Aren't all hammockers cult-like?

chief
07-14-2011, 19:22
Aren't all hammockers cult-like?I wouldn't say that, but they'll drink the cool aid every time.