PDA

View Full Version : Beginning my gear search

jazzmessenger8
07-13-2011, 01:11
Hi, I plan to thru-hike the AT in a couple of years (after college) and I'm trying to get a head start with knowledge of gear and other things, to ensure that I am relatively comfortable and able to complete the hike. I would like to begin with backpacks. Could you guys tell me what brands and models of backpacks have worked best for you? What retailers do you prefer? I'd like to find a place that has employees that I can trust to custom fit a pack well. I would really appreciate any guidance.
Thank you

grayfox
07-13-2011, 05:32
Best thing to do is start by reading the articles archived here. There is some dated advice given the rapid changes in technology as applied to gear, but in general you will find tons of useful information here. When you are able to ask more specific questions, you will get lots of useful advice from hikers here.

But do not start just with gear. Start preparing your body for the trail with as much walking as you can fit in around your schoolwork. Try to find some like minded students or fitness classes to join.

Welcome to this forum and I hope you learn a lot and enjoy a lifetime of great hiking, grayfox

R00K
07-13-2011, 07:25
REI is a great place to start.

I'm taking an Osprey Exos 58 on my thru. REI makes the Flash 50 and 65 which is a cheaper option, GoLite also makes some more affordable options. If you plan on going ultralight you may want to consider ULA or Zpacks, but it's an exspensive route to take more times than not.

It's all going go come down to going light, or going cheap.

vamelungeon
07-13-2011, 07:29
I'd start with this: http://www.amazon.com/Complete-Walker-IV-Colin-Fletcher/dp/0375703233
Colin Fletcher passed away but there is a lot of good information you can absorb from this book. Some of it is a little dated but that's where this website comes into play.

R00K
07-13-2011, 08:51
I'd also say this: Research, research, research, then TRY, and THEN buy.

I didn't research enough, or try enough, and went out and bought a bunch of stuff, and sold/returned all of it, usually losing some money in the process. Money that could have gone towards better gear. Figure out exactly what would be ideal for you, and save save save. Be patient. Buy your big ticket items first (pack/sleeping bag/shelter) and most of the "small ticket" items you can get super cheap versions of while you save for better.

stars in her eyes
07-13-2011, 09:42
Pack companies - granite gear, ULA, gossamer gear, rei, gregory, osprey, go lite, etc

Even though you want to start with the pack, your backpack is usually the last thing you want to actually purchase. Packs are rated at many different weight and volume capacities and until you have the majority of your other gear, you aren't going to know what capacity pack you need. By all means, do your research on the different companies out there (I prefer ULA for their exceptional customer service), but get started with the other stuff.

I highly recommend reading the articles section of this site. I found many of the articles useful in helping me decide what I need.

start here:

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=10687

Good luck.

jazzmessenger8
07-19-2011, 16:16
Thanks for all of the replies. I have several great sources to read from, but they are outdated, which I was I've come to the forum for questions on gear.

sbhikes
07-19-2011, 19:07
Check the article here called How to Dirt Bag and Gear Shop like a Pro or something like that. He'll tell you about stuff you can use from your garage or other cheap sources. I know, I know, you want fancy gear now. But what you should get first is as much experience as possible. If you can put together enough stuff from junk in your garage or from garage sales and thrift stores or whatever, you'll be able to start backpacking now to gain the experience you need to be able to tell if something will work for you or not. This is a difficult thing to do in our culture where every new activity we want to do starts with a shopping trip.

Jersey Tim
07-19-2011, 19:57
Here is a fair guide as to what a typical thru "really" needs. It was written by Winton Porter, whose name will definitely come up as you do your reading.

http://www.backpacker.com/november_08_pack_man_/articles/12659?page=4

As you flip through old threads on this forum, it's usually worth checking out "gear list" threads, where people post what they have -- weights included -- for other people to critique and make suggestions about. Read the lists and the comments, and you'll notice patterns of good ideas and common mistakes.

Open your word processor and start a list of things you might want. (Kinda like fantasy football.) Include prices, individual weights, and your thoughts; list a few alternatives you're considering for each item if applicable. As you read, you'll pick up on how to refine your list to something manageable.

REI is good, but don't be shy about cottage gearmakers like ULA, ZPacks, Tarptent, etc.; they are generally known for better (more specialized) lightweight products for long-distance hikers, as well as very strong customer service. Again, you'll pick up on some of this as you read.

One last thing: it's best to buy your backpack last. That way you know how much it has to hold and what sort of weight it has to support.

R00K
07-22-2011, 08:59
Here is a fair guide as to what a typical thru "really" needs. It was written by Winton Porter, whose name will definitely come up as you do your reading.

http://www.backpacker.com/november_08_pack_man_/articles/12659?page=4

As you flip through old threads on this forum, it's usually worth checking out "gear list" threads, where people post what they have -- weights included -- for other people to critique and make suggestions about. Read the lists and the comments, and you'll notice patterns of good ideas and common mistakes.

Open your word processor and start a list of things you might want. (Kinda like fantasy football.) Include prices, individual weights, and your thoughts; list a few alternatives you're considering for each item if applicable. As you read, you'll pick up on how to refine your list to something manageable.

REI is good, but don't be shy about cottage gearmakers like ULA, ZPacks, Tarptent, etc.; they are generally known for better (more specialized) lightweight products for long-distance hikers, as well as very strong customer service. Again, you'll pick up on some of this as you read.

One last thing: it's best to buy your backpack last. That way you know how much it has to hold and what sort of weight it has to support.

People keep saying you need to buy your backpack last. Let me help you out - get an REI membership and buy a backpack first. Goodluck practicing using your gear without one. Take good care of it and you can return it to REI at any time for a full refund (if it ends up not being what you wanted).

My buddy and I did the same, we both started with REI Flash series packs. I switched to an Osprey Exos 58 (big enough for winter gear but compresses down for summer packing) but my buddy still uses and loves his Flash.

rp1790
07-22-2011, 18:24
People keep saying you need to buy your backpack last. Let me help you out - get an REI membership and buy a backpack first. Goodluck practicing using your gear without one. Take good care of it and you can return it to REI at any time for a full refund (if it ends up not being what you wanted).

My buddy and I did the same, we both started with REI Flash series packs. I switched to an Osprey Exos 58 (big enough for winter gear but compresses down for summer packing) but my buddy still uses and loves his Flash.

This is very good advice. The truth is if you buy a backpack thats in the 60ltr range thats all you need and it'll help with packing and selecting gear. REI has an awesome return policy and the "volume" of your equipment as well as the weight is something to consider.

Jersey Tim
07-22-2011, 20:43

I don't think that old advice of "buying the pack last" is saying you have to do trips without a backpack first, nor that you have to marry yourself to the pack you choose. Rather, if you choose your other gear first (before you make a trip to buy), it gives you an idea of how big a backpack to get. If you're cooking with white gas and carting an eight-pound tent and synthetic bag, you know you're going to need lots of room. On the other hand, if you set your heart on a leviathan 110-liter expedition pack as your first gear pick, you'll be tempted to fill it with extra junk you otherwise would have passed by, piling on weight and making your life difficult. No one said anything about NEEDING to do anything, but it makes sense to get an idea of what your gear load will be like and then picking a pack to suit it, rather than picking gear to suit your pack.

Raul Perez
07-22-2011, 21:14
I suggest checking out my hiking 101 series listed below in my signature. I go over backpacks (in general) and other gear. Check out the ULA circuit, catalyst and the REI flash 65. Those worked well for me.

MuddyWaters
07-31-2011, 09:38
Read at backpackinglight.com for a few months, and browse websites of cottage vendors to get ideas of gear and weights, until you are familiar with everything out there. You want to be well versed in how to be ultralight, and what the options are. You will decide later how light you want to go, but you need to know the options, advantages, and disadvantages of packs, clothing, tents, tarps, bivys, raingear, water treatment, etc.

Read here to see what others are recommending too. Most AT hikers are not ultralight. Some are not even lightweight either so take it all with a grain of salt. You will need to decide where in the spectrum you want to fall, and select gear you can afford that will get you there, and budget for it.

Then realize that things are going to change in the next couple yrs, and you should put off all gear purchase until last yr if possible. Lighter weight, more durable options will come to market in that time. If you aquire in advance, you will experience a constant desire to upgrade your gear to the latest, greatest, lightest most likely. Many people buy packs and tents, then sell and buy newer ones before they even have used the first gear. Lighter weight is a constant temptation. Start out pretty darn light to start if you can, and save yourself a lot of trouble and money. I promise that you would rather carry 25 lbs incl. food/water than 35 lbs, your feet will thank you.

In many cases the gear you may want will have to be ordered, tried by you at home, and returned if it doesnt work for you. This is a common way with small cottage producers. learn how to fit your pack yourself, and adjust it, what to look for, etc. Its not rocket science.

lush242000
09-01-2011, 07:56
I would suggest you head to nearest REI and check out what they have. Keep in mind that they also rent gear. That is a cheap and easy way to try out something different stuff. They also have a great return policy. While I'm not going to advocate you do this, one could buy a pack use it and return it for another one until you find what you want.

malowitz
09-01-2011, 12:44
Jazz - I had no clue when I started researching before my 2010 thru. I'll tell you what I did and maybe some of it can help you out. For about a year before the hike, I read a lot on Whiteblaze, especially people's gear lists. I built my own spreadsheet of a packlist and would add notes/comments. For example, I planned to bring a knife, but I was thinking I'd need a big one. After reading so many posts, I ended up with a very small Leatherman Squirt S4. I looked for what kinds of products people were having good experiences with. I decided not to bother with gaiters (right choice - I actaully bought some during the hike and they lasted 2 days), and to get a Tarptent Moment (not the right choice for me). I got a lightweight wind jacket becuase of what I read on here - and I'm glad I did. I started a lot reading on this website and then would link off to manufacturer sites, backpacking light, etc.

Trail journals and postholer.com are great sources of information too. You'll see/hear real world problems/likes. Just don't get hung up on something that someone says was bad. Not all equipment is right for all folks (the Tarptent wasn't right for me).

I did do a recon trip to REI and of course my two local outfitters. However, a local outfitter in Des Moines has very little in stock compared to the scope of REI. I did score a Western Mountaineering bag at a great sale price locally though.

I watched Steepandcheap.com and picked up stuff that I thought I might use. I actually got an Osprey Atmos pack at a great deal. AFter loading it up later, realized it was too small and then got a great Gregory pack of the site. Just be careful, it can be addicting and research first so you have some good ideas. If you buy too much from S&C, you can resell on WB or e-bay.

Check out e-bay. After you get an idea of what you think will work for you, e-bay is a great place to get some gear at a discount. I got my windjacket, a rain jacket, knife, alcohol stove (no I didn't make my own), etc off of e-bay.

Realize you don't need to have every piece of gear to start. You're going to change some things out. Some things won't work for you. You'll see some folks with somthing that you think will be better/easier. For example, I started with Aqua Mira water treatment, but went to Polar Pure iodine system since I never needed to buy refills (and I couldn't taste a difference). I bought a summer weight sleeping bag in Waynesboro.

I did a lot of gear research and no real hiking, but it worked out for me. My first time w/the fully loaded pack was at the base of Amicalola Falls.