PDA

View Full Version : Any one doing hikes befor GAME/MEGA/flipflip 2012?

SETX_Mason
07-13-2011, 08:59
Today im catching a flight out to New Mexico to go hike with my Troop till the end of of july at Philmont!!!! .....

Just curious who else has some extra hikes planned this year?

stars in her eyes
07-13-2011, 09:14
I'll be doing a few shakedown hikes starting in October. Mostly in Georgia/Florida. In the meantime, I'm rain-testing my recently purchased gear out in the yard during our Florida monsoon season. Have fun at Philmont.

Entropy2012
07-13-2011, 16:48
Doing my first hike this weekend. Not sure if it counts though. The 'mountains' aren't any bigger than 600m...

Gotta start somewhere though eh? :cool:

stars in her eyes
07-18-2011, 18:45
Doing my first hike this weekend. Not sure if it counts though. The 'mountains' aren't any bigger than 600m...

Gotta start somewhere though eh? :cool:

You've got that lovely West Highland Trail over there in Scotland. I swear I'll thru hike it one day. Spent a day on it in 2007 and I still remember the beauty.

-Animal
07-19-2011, 09:04
I’m going to Maine in two days. Working on the trail crew for a month and then hopefully hiking a 240+ mile section to a cheaper bus stop. It will be my first time on the AT. ;)

paistes5
07-19-2011, 09:25
We're gonna do a few 30 mile loops this summer and fall in Tennessee and Alabama. These are great three day weekend hikes.

sbhikes
07-19-2011, 10:15
Hiking is just part of life. I do it whenever I can.

Entropy2012
07-20-2011, 08:48
You've got that lovely West Highland Trail over there in Scotland. I swear I'll thru hike it one day. Spent a day on it in 2007 and I still remember the beauty.

I'd love to do it as well, but it takes a week or so and I'm working my ass off at Mcdonalds of all places just so I can afford the AT. :p

Weekend hikes for now I guess... off to the cobbler on Saturday!. :D

30 Large
07-20-2011, 19:09
I always have hikes planned throughout the year. A run down of the rest of my year to pass the time until my 2012 thru:

140 mile section of the Allegheny Trail in WV
40 mile loop at Linville Gorge, NC
25 miles at Graveyard Fields/Black Balsam Knob, NC
30 miles at New River Gorge, WV
60 miles at Falls Lake, NC (part of the Mountain to Sea Trail)
and Section 12/13 of the Mountain to Sea Trail

I think I am going to try and squeeze in another long weekend trip before February as well :)

Entropy2012
07-25-2011, 14:50
Turns out I'll get the chance to do the West Highland Way after all! :D

writeronthestorm
07-25-2011, 21:46
I hike like crazy through the year anyways. Heading for the Hells Canyon Wilderness in Idaho next week for 4 days 5 nights... Can't wait.

JenHikes
08-05-2011, 12:07
I've got a friend who is trying to do all the trails in the Smokies in one year while working a full time job. I've been doing lots of hikes with her, both day and overnight. It's been a blast, especially not having to work out the logistics on my own!

We've gotten a lot of really tough stuff in the Smokies done, but there's still plenty to do.

30 Large
08-05-2011, 16:08
I've got a friend who is trying to do all the trails in the Smokies in one year while working a full time job. I've been doing lots of hikes with her, both day and overnight. It's been a blast, especially not having to work out the logistics on my own!

We've gotten a lot of really tough stuff in the Smokies done, but there's still plenty to do.

I've been working on my 900 miler club for about 4 years now. I most likely would have gotten it already if I lived closer than 5 hours away lol.

Entropy2012
08-16-2011, 20:20
Oh god, I'm leaving tomorrow for my first long hike (96 miles) and somehow my pack weighs about 40 pounds. :eek:

I'm using some 30 year old synthetic sleeping bag that takes up half the space, so that doesn't help. :p

el gran boludo
09-13-2011, 09:37
i'm constantly hiking around the smokies and wherever else i can get to near Knoxvegas (Blue Ridge, Cumberlands, etc) planning on doing Fierry Gizzard sometime in october

Odd Man Out
09-13-2011, 15:51
I am restricted to day hikes for now (can't get more time off). Went to Rosy Mound on Sunday. Just a few miles out and back, but a spectacular local park over wooded dunes to Lake MI. Will probably day hike Nordhouse Dunes (only designated wilderness in MI lower peninsula) and Sleeping Bear Dunes (National Lakeshore, voted most beautiful place in the USA by Good Morning America) - both in the Fall color season.