PDA

View Full Version : Starter Hike in NC

ktfitzgerald
07-13-2011, 10:52
So happy to have found this site!! There's such a wealth of knowlege here. I'm hoping to get some advice. My husband and I are starting to plan our first AT hike. We were thinking of somewhere in NC in September. Is that a good time of year to do this? And I would love some suggestions on what would be a good starter (2-3 day) hike to do.

Thanks so much!

Kim

JaxHiker
07-13-2011, 10:56
Welcome to the site!

How about Wesser Bald to NOC? That's a gorgeous section and only about 16 miles. If you're feeling froggy even though it's a starter hike you could start at Winding Stair (US64) which is about 27 mi which would make a good 3-day.

You can find pics and a write-up on my blog under Trail Reports.

4dogHiker
07-13-2011, 12:21
Max Patch to Hot Springs. About 20 miles. Beautiful views and just a good trail experience from shelters to water, not to mention a visit to a top notch trail town!

Tennessee Viking
07-13-2011, 12:51
Iron Mtn Gap to 19E
Carvers Gap to Dennis Cove

Stir Fry
07-13-2011, 13:24
Newfound gap to Davinport gat 27 mile saw tooth section of smokies. Some hills but generaly in a down hill direction. Good parking at the rangers station at Davinport gap. I have done it 3 times and plan to go again 28 September.
Good luck and have fun.

lissersmith
07-13-2011, 15:30
Max Patch to Hot Springs is nice, and totally doable in three days. There is an outfitter's in Hot Springs who could shuttle you...Bluff Mtn. Outfitters.

chelko
07-13-2011, 17:00
Standing Indian loop.

Shuckstack
07-13-2011, 19:40
I have to second the above suggestion for Max Patch to Hot Springs.We took three days and two nights to complete the 20 miles. We averaged about seven miles a day. Max Patch is beautiful and when you finish up in Hot Springs you can stay at the Hot Springs Resort or Campground and climb into one of the mineral bath hot tubs to unwind. The little town of Hot Springs is really nice and check out the Iron Horse Station for great food and live entertainment.

Kerosene
07-14-2011, 00:01
You really can't go wrong with the Max Patch to Hot Springs (or 14 miles further to Allen Gap if you're doing well). I just finished Winding Stair Gap (US-64, Franklin) to Fontana Dam, and the initial section to NOC was surprisingly easy and scenic.

ktfitzgerald
07-14-2011, 09:34
Thanks so much for all the responses. You people are so kind to share your knowlege here! I think you've sold me on Max Patch to Hot Springs. I'm super excited! Hoping to buy new trail shoes today so I can start breaking them in.

littledragon
07-14-2011, 10:03
You will really enjoy this section!! AND- the mineral bath in the hot tub at the spa that is so near the trail when you get into Hot Springs!! Call ahead for a reservation and soak out any kinks your muscles may have acquired. Enjoy!!!

lissersmith
07-14-2011, 10:48
You will love this section...Wish I was going!