PDA

View Full Version : hammock use acceptable on the AT?

wiremilitia
07-13-2011, 17:46
First time on the AT and new to hammock camping so please bear with me.

I'm looking to do a section of the AT in North Carolina. A 3-4 day trip...
From I-64 (standing india shelter) area TO I-74 near Fontana Lake.
Are there designated areas for hammock camping?
Is acceptable to setup my hammock off the trail anywhere I please (within reason)?
Will some park ranger or someone hassle me for not being IN one of the wooden shelters in this area?
Is there anywhere along the AT where hammocks are forbidden?
I'm contemplating bringing a tent and a sleeping pad as a backup system to the hammock while on the AT...in which case I'd leave the hammock at home.

I'd really like to go with the hammock on this trip but I'm close to going tent to avoid an ugly situation...I have a terrible image of myself on the hard ground wrapped inside my limp hammock because of some silly rules on the AT...those trying to encourage more people to try hammock camping please give some reassurance.:confused:

Hooch
07-13-2011, 18:15
First time on the AT and new to hammock camping. . . . Welcome aboard!

Are there designated areas for hammock camping?Nope, just hang your hammock where ever you're comfortable.

Is acceptable to setup my hammock off the trail anywhere I please (within reason)?Pretty much.

Will some park ranger or someone hassle me for not being IN one of the wooden shelters in this area?Probably not, you're not in the Smokies, so you should be ok.

Is there anywhere along the AT where hammocks are forbidden? As I understand it, shelter rules in the Smokies don't allow for hammocking by section hikers, who must have a shelter reservation.

Other hammock questions may be addressed to the High Hammock Council at Hammock Forums (http://www.hammockforums.net). :D

trippclark
07-13-2011, 18:18
First time on the AT and new to hammock camping so please bear with me.

I'm looking to do a section of the AT in North Carolina. A 3-4 day trip...
Are there designated areas for hammock camping?
Is acceptable to setup my hammock off the trail anywhere I please (within reason)?
Will some park ranger or someone hassle me for not being IN one of the wooden shelters in this area?
Is there anywhere along the AT where hammocks are forbidden?
I'm contemplating bringing a tent and a sleeping pad as a backup system to the hammock while on the AT...in which case I'd leave the hammock at home.

I'd really like to go with the hammock on this trip but I'm close to going tent to avoid an ugly situation...I have a terrible image of myself on the hard ground wrapped inside my limp hammock because of some silly rules on the AT...those trying to encourage more people to try hammock camping please give some reassurance.:confused:

You will find lots of folks on the AT using hammocks. I have been section hiking the AT since 2000. Just south of Erwin, TN, I switched from tent to hammock and have used a hammock for every trip since and am now mostly through Pennsylvania. To specifically answer your questions . . .

1 - No, but there are usually lots of suitable trees. On rare occasion you may find areas designated as no camping, and this would apply to tent, tarp, or hammock.
2 - Yes. However, in GSMNP there are rules that mandate that you stay in the shelters when space is available.
3 - No, except for in GSMNP, and even there it is pretty much on an honor system. The odds of a ranger showing up at a shelter to enforce this rule is very remote.
4 - Not that I have encountered, but maybe somewhere in the northeast. I doubt it though, since many folks have thru-hiked using hammocks.

Raul Perez
07-13-2011, 19:17
no problems I hammocked the entire state of NY

Rain Man
07-13-2011, 22:49

Just to be clear, so you know, those are not Interstate highways. Just in case you were expecting them to be.

Rain:sunMan

wiremilitia
07-16-2011, 10:06
The info was helpful and VERY appreciated. Thank you.

I'm sticking with the hammock!

Currahee D
07-17-2011, 10:57
I've actually used a hammock on this southern half of this section. I absolutely love my ENOS hammock, however at night the wind under your back can become a bit chilly. Enjoy Siler, Wayah, and Cheoah Balds are all awesome mountains in this section, enjoy!

Kerosene
07-17-2011, 11:37
Definitely go with your hammock. While there are a lot of tent sites throughout this section, there are a lot more hammocking options. As a general rule, you should always set up at least 200 feet from a water source.

Most shelters are not appropriately braced to support a hammock, although that hasn't stopped people from setting up inside.

Remember that you'll be up above 4000' much of the time, which means the temperature can drop surprisingly low in the evening. I've found that I need at least a thin pad underneath me in a hammock below 60 degrees in order to stay comfortable.

JaxHiker
07-17-2011, 14:52
You don't have anything to worry about using a hammock in this section. Check out my blog to read about it. I just did Deep Gap to NOC over Memorial Day week.