PDA

View Full Version : Navigation help

Boo
07-13-2011, 22:27
I'm driving from Panama City, FL to hike from Springer Mountain to Neels Gap. I can hike a mountain but can't drive up one and don't do well with high bridges and high overpasses...So, I'm trying to get from Panama City close to Amicalola Falls. I feel I can drive to Gainesville, GA or maybe Dahlonega, GA (Plan to stay night at Hiker Hostel and take shuttle to Springer) with the right route...while avoiding high bridges and mountainside driving, and all of Atlanta freeway. I'm looking for help with a route, extra driving time doesn't matter...I'm used to it! As well as a place I can park my car in the town. I'll arrange for a shuttle to the hostel from wherever I end up. I can drive basic interstate roads fine and back roads are great. I'm thinking I can find a route that I can manage with some help from you who know the area...or who are just really good with maps... First time on the AT! Would appreciate any help with navigation.

Trailweaver
07-14-2011, 02:48
Your best bet is to talk with Josh at the Hiker Hostel. If you stay there, you can leave your car there and he will shuttle you to wherever you want to start hiking. He could also give you directions about driving to the HH in Dahlonega.

I'm from this area. . . I can't think of any "high bridges" around that you would have to drive over. And although the mountain driving is, well, "mountain driving," it isn't like the mountain driving in western NC. I think you may be pleasantly surprised. Also - I should think if you could drive in PC, and drive any "basic freeway," you should be able to drive thru Atlanta on the freeway. Some do - and have lived to tell about it, too.

atraildreamer
07-14-2011, 11:52
you should be able to drive thru Atlanta on the freeway. Some do - and have lived to tell about it, too.

Dittos on the above.
Avoid the Atlanta beltway during the rush hours...those people are nuts! :banana

(I thought Boston was bad...but we New England motorists could learn a thing or two about aggressive driving from our southern cousins. :D)

Once you get away from the big city, you'll find that southern courtesy carries over to the highways and traveling is very enjoyable in the South. :sun

The Old Boot
07-14-2011, 17:37
If you've the time, a good route is straight up 231 out of Panama City as far as Dothan AL, pick up 431 there and head north. You can either cross into GA at Phenix City/Columbus(over the river) or stay in Alabama on 431 as far north as I20 depending on whether you can do the bridge over the Chattahoochie. If you choose to cross the river at Phenix City, go north on 185 out of Columbus GA to I85 then pick up 285 around Atlanta.

At that point you're kinda stuck going around Atlanta. Personally, I always took 285 AROUND Atlanta unless is was 2 AM on a Sunday...those drivers are only equalled in insanity to those around Indianapolis who all think they're Indy drivers...lol!!

Then it's just a straight shot up GA19 to Dahlonega. It might be a little hilly but nothing even like I75 in TN, you should be okay.

If you find out that you're going to hit 285 at rush hour, simply hole up in a rest area for a few hours...they mostly all eventually get off the road..sigh.

And yes, I'm awfully used to finding the scenic routes around the southern states. 15 years of back road travelling in that area wasn't for naught!!

birdygal
07-14-2011, 21:53
You might just not want to go home, One visit to N Geogia mountains was all it took to make me move away from Panama City