PDA

View Full Version : Anyone using the REI Quarter Dome T2? (currently onsale - same price as T1)

dcmidnight
07-14-2011, 10:41
Noticed that REI has the T2 on sale for the same price as the T1. I owned/used the T1 on a few trips last year and while it was a great tent I definitely found it a little tight (6', 175). Wondering about the extra pound or so in added weight. I loved everything else about it though - especially how easy it was to set up after a long day.

My only trips this summer will both be less than a week long so the weight itself doesn't necessarily bother me.

Limeman
07-14-2011, 12:15
The T2 is a great tent. At $199, it is a complete no-brainer. Get it. Nice benefit is that you can actually put two people into it if you want. :)

Raul Perez
07-14-2011, 14:20
I've used it before I went to hammocks. Best tent I've used. Still have it as a loaner to buddies who want to hike with me.

skinewmexico
07-14-2011, 18:44
My T3 is great. If I was looking for a 2 man, I think I'd have to go with the Kelty Grand Mesa at Bobwards.com for $69. Backpacker gave it high marks, for what that is worth.

Edit - nevermind, I was confusing it with the Salida.

dcmidnight
07-15-2011, 07:09
I've used it before I went to hammocks. Best tent I've used. Still have it as a loaner to buddies who want to hike with me.
The T2 must be on clearance because I just got an email coupon for what I thought was 25% off one item but the T2 shows up in my cart at 30% off the $199 price - 30% off one clearance item - so $146 shipped for the T2.

Raul Perez
07-15-2011, 08:04
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4hZMTiamQtE

At 3:40 you can see the quarter dome T2 handle a decent rain storm... in fact it rained basically everyday that trip. Awesome protection.

Raul Perez
07-15-2011, 08:05
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GNjHTndRzjs

Here's the set up

TrailPossum
07-15-2011, 11:12
Ive had the T2 since 2008 and its been on every backpacking trip with me. Back when I bought the T2 its weight was comparable to alot of one man tents at the time which was the deal clincher for me.
Since then Ive had nothing but success with my T2 and even though its made of lighter material it seems to hold its own.

A couple of places where mother nature decided to test my T2's will was Great Sand Dunes National Park and a backpacking trip through the Rockies. In the sand dunes I had two nights of winds howling 50+ mph and in the Rockies three days of typical afternoon/evening thunderstorms. On both of these outings the T2 came out unscathed.

I will be starting my thru hike on the AT in 3 days and will be taking along the trusty T2 as my tent. We shall see if it can hold up to all the rigors of the trail.

Limeman
07-15-2011, 12:14
I spoke with an REI employee last month who said he was testing a brand-new re-design of the T1 Quarterdome. If there is a new T1 on the way, then a new T2 must be as well. My guess is REI is moving the older design to clear the way for the new?

Mundele
07-15-2011, 16:28
This is a great tent. I absolutely love it. I hammock camp when solo backpacking but take this on car camping, cub scout and backpacking trips with my kids. Great tent. Definitely do the 30% off of 199.

Many Walks
07-15-2011, 18:11
We have an '08 T2 and really like it. The space and set up is similar to the MSR Hubba Hubba we used on our thru. Don't pass up the 30% off the sale price as it's a great value.

topshelf
07-15-2011, 21:35
I carry the T2 when I backpack with my girlfriend. It is a great tent, plenty of room for two and gear under the rainfly or great as a one man if you want to keep things in the tent. Almost vertical inner walls a great and give tons of room. Awesome tent, no complaint after two years of about 50 nights out on the trail.

ki0eh
07-15-2011, 22:09
I went to the T2 as a one-person tent (although I can go with my little daughter I found out) when I gave up trying to tie hammocks. Haven't looked back.

hikerinnc
07-16-2011, 15:14
Love my T1. But i'm trying to lighten my load, been looking at other tent options. Now I'll wait to see the new weight of the T1.

TravelPro
07-18-2011, 16:18
+1000 for this being an awesome tent. Grab it at 30% off, a steal. The bathtub floor WORKS even when your site becomes a lake. Incredibly livable design, very roomy. Great setup for 2 also.

txag
07-19-2011, 21:04
I scored one of these today with the additional 30% off and unused dividend - $60 the difference.

Thanks for the advice - thats why I'm here....

dcmidnight
07-20-2011, 19:50
Ordered mine today - @ $140 or so shipped. I think this will do me just fine on my 1 person trips.

Thanks for all the feedback!

dcmidnight
07-26-2011, 07:04
Have had a chance now to set up the T2 indoors and I am really pleased. The T2 seems to share the same high quality design features from the T1 and is just as easy to set up. I think I dumped enough poundage from my old gear that taking on the pound or so extra as an upgrade from the T1 is definitely worth it.

EGM
07-26-2011, 18:08
Our family uses a canopy when we go camping to eat our meals together. We set up rows of tables and chairs underneath the canopy. It works great. I think it was an ez up brand and it was very durable. On our last trip, it even withstood a powerful wind storm.

Silverstone
07-29-2011, 11:11
Thank you all for this thread! :banana

I initially bought a Eureka Backcountry 1 solo tent, seeing all the four-star reviews on Amazon. But one night in it was enough for me--too hot, too small, and no vestibule. (Seriously, it might be 3ft x 8ft on the inside, but I can promise you, that *ain't* useable space). :mad:

Anyhow, I decided that I'd try to find a low-cost 2-person tent instead, and looked here on WB for some guidance. The REI QD T2 weighs only one single ounce more than that Eureka tent, and it seems to have about ten times more utility--much more room, definitely cooler in the summer (that Eureka was an absolute oven with the fly on), and I love the design. Plus with the credit from the other tent, it's almost a wash as far as price goes. The only downer was that the local REI was sold out of 'em, so I had to order it online and have it shipped. And that was free!

ljcsov
07-29-2011, 20:28
Anyone have any info on this tent?

http://www.bobwards.com/KELTY-Teton-2-Trail-Tent-45782

Seems like a good price but there isn't all that much out there on youtube

Silverstone
07-29-2011, 20:42
I'm finding that with tents, and most backpacking gear in general, there are three words to describe any piece of gear:

Cheap
Tough
Light

But you can only pick two.

ljcsov
07-29-2011, 20:48
Whenever I look around it seems like most the 2 person tents are too tiny for 2 people judging by people's reviews. That is, after checking out the Kelty Grand Mesa 2 and Teton 2. Although, many other tents have similar dimensions.

dcmidnight
08-05-2011, 08:28
Thanks again for the feedback, I've set this tent up a few times now and its great. I really love the REI design/construction and find its just as solid as the T1. I'm not sure I would do extended trips with two people in this tent but I feel like its going to be great for 1p.